do you worry more about

going over calories by a lot and staying under fat

or

staying under calories but going over in fat

Replies

• decu68
    decu68 Posts: 78
    Options
    Right now I'm more worried I'm not getting enough calories but am going over on fat. I probably have been having this problem for a long time but just didn't know as I wasn't keep track. Thanks to this app/program I am finding this out and have to make the necessary changes to ensure I get more calories but less fat. Why can't life just be simple?
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Getting both as close to goal as possible is Ideal but as long as you don't do it everyday, I would not worry about it. Neither are good. Try to see why it is happening and maybe put your food in ahead of time and see if you can make a better choice.
  • victoriamiddleton
    Options
    I"m having a really hard time staying under the carbs limit. I seem to sneak over everyday.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I often go over on fat, but I don't worry about it because I try to keep my fats limited to healthy fats (nuts, avocado, olive oil, etc.) Don't get me wrong, I don't go whole hog, but I just don't let it stress me out.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    the calorie portion is more important, as long as the fat you are getting is healthy fat it will not hurt you going over. For some reason we (as a society) think fat is the enemy, which it is not, it can be very healthy and is needed by our bodies.
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I focus mainly on calories. I make good choices with those calories though. I rarely llok at fat because lots of good for you food has "good" fat in it.

That being said I've now started to take a real good look at sugar- I go over every day, but I think most of that sugar is healthy natural sugars in fruit, etc. so worried but not too worried
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I pay more attention to sodium than fat.
    So I watch total calories and sodium.
    The first two weeks of doing this I didn't have the sodium as part of the values I was calculating every day, but I changed my report and I was stunned to learn I was doing 3000 - 4000 sodium per day. Now its set at a max of 2500 and I aim for 1500 per day.
    I've seen my blood pressure drop because of that change. I'm still on meds for hypertension, but I'm shooting for enough weight loss and sodium reduction to get off the meds. Granted its about the smallest dose the Doc can prescribe, but I still want to get healthy enough to get off the drugs. Same with cholesterol.
  • eandskp
    eandskp Posts: 54
    Options
    I'm with TS65. I wouldn't worry too much about going over on fat as long as they are healthy fats as opposed to the fat found in a twinkie. Again, try to stay in range but going over on either by just a bit every once in awhile isn't going to kill you. If you are exercising, especially weight training, you'll have a little more wiggle room.