Started about a month ago...have a few questions

Options
I started using this app/website 25 days ago. I've exercised very little. Maybe 2-3 days a week on the elliptical for 30-45 minutes. When I first weighed in I weighed 207. Today the scale says I'm 197.6. I know I couldn't have lost 10 lbs. of fat, but I'll take what I can get.

When I first started I put in that my goal weight was 175 and that I wanted to lose 1.5 lbs a week. Taking my bmr and exercise goals in to consideration, the program says my net calories should be 1530 a day. does that seem a little low?

today I changed my settings/goals. I put in my weight as 197 and that I want to lose 2 lbs a week in order to get to 170 lbs. it now says my net calories should be around 1250. That seems really low.

Should I have not changed anything up?

I'm averaging about 150 grams of carbs a day, 100-120 grams of protein and 20-30 grams of fat. Does that ratio look good?

Replies

• ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Everything sounds good too me. But I would suggest maybe sticking with 1-1.5 pounds a week for weight loss.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I started using this app/website 25 days ago. I've exercised very little. Maybe 2-3 days a week on the elliptical for 30-45 minutes. When I first weighed in I weighed 207. Today the scale says I'm 197.6. I know I couldn't have lost 10 lbs. of fat, but I'll take what I can get.

When I first started I put in that my goal weight was 175 and that I wanted to lose 1.5 lbs a week. Taking my bmr and exercise goals in to consideration, the program says my net calories should be 1530 a day. does that seem a little low?

today I changed my settings/goals. I put in my weight as 197 and that I want to lose 2 lbs a week in order to get to 170 lbs. it now says my net calories should be around 1250. That seems really low.

Should I have not changed anything up?

I'm averaging about 150 grams of carbs a day, 100-120 grams of protein and 20-30 grams of fat. Does that ratio look good?

How much do you weigh? If your goal is to lose between 20 and 50 lbs I would suggest changing your settings to 1lb/week if you have less than 15 or 20 to go I would suggest changing to 0.5lbs/week. Remember when you workout you get to eat more as well. so if 1500 is low, then exercise and eat those extra calories.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Those stats sound right to me.. and you should probably cut the goal back some to be just a pound or half pound a week.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    The initial high losses in the first week or two are usually largely water weight.

The recommended lower limit for the average male to receive adequate nutrition is 1500 cals per day. As a male with only about 30-40 lbs to lose, you should NOT be aiming for more than 1 lb per week. Might help to read these threads that can help you determine a healthy, realistic cal goal/deficit.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/101833-10-answers-to-common-questions
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Those are the right numbers based on the goals you entered and your starting weights.

For me, though, a goal of 2 lbs and 1200 calories is just too little. I know I need some more room in my diet for other things. I have mine set to 1.5lbs/week, and I know i can eat a little less (minimum of 1200) and still be OK.

I would listen to your body, and if it feels like you aren't eating enough, then change your goal to 1.5 lb/wk, and aim for that.
  • DiamondRubyMom
    DiamondRubyMom Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    The numbers numbers don't seem low. At first, i thought the numbers actually seemed high but i checked and your a guy. Guys need more calories than girls. Remember a pound is about 3000 calories. So to lose 2 pounds a week you need a calorie deflect of 6000 calories or 857 calories a day. MFP is calculating that for you from your basil metabolic rate and regular activity level. If the number is too low try backing off to losing 1 to .5 a pound a week to let your body and your eyes get use to smaller portions before jumping in full tilt.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    The numbers numbers don't seem low. At first, i thought the numbers actually seemed high but i checked and your a guy. Guys need more calories than girls. Remember a pound is about 3000 calories. So to lose 2 pounds a week you need a calorie deflect of 6000 calories or 857 calories a day. MFP is calculating that for you from your basil metabolic rate and regular activity level. If the number is too low try backing off to losing 1 to .5 a pound a week to let your body and your eyes get use to smaller portions before jumping in full tilt.

Actually to lose a pound you need a deficit of 3500 or 7000 for 2 which is 1000/day. Men should not go lower than 1500 Net calories. If MFP puts you below 1500 then your weekly loss goal is too high for you to sustain in a healthy manner.
  • mjpisat
    mjpisat Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I switched it back to 1.5 lbs a week.

With my current weight at 197 and goal weight of 170 it says I should be eating 1520 calories (net)