Trying to get pregnant and dieting...

Options
My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for three months now. All three months, after finding out I'm not pregnant I get depressed and just want to give up eating healthy and taking care of myself. I take a day or two and eat whatever I want then get right back to my 400 calorie burn a day and 1,200 calorie diet. This time, after seeing the negative sign once again, I want to give up all together.

Anyone in the same situation or just have something to say that will make sense to me right now?

Replies

• Daisy_May
    Daisy_May Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you! The one thing that keeps me from indulging is knowing that I want to be in the best health I can be when I finally am pregnant. I kind of look at it as another month to lose more weight before I start gaining it!
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    <
    Every month for the last 4 years, it's heartbreaking and disappointing... but you have to keep trying and not give up
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Keep up the eating right and exercising. When I was trying to get pregnant with my first it took a year of trying (tracking my cycle and everything). Just when we decided to stop trying because the timing was no longer right I got pregnant. The more you stress about getting pregnant the harder it is to get pregnant. Instead have fun and if it happens it happens. Easier said then done but it works.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    You should probably consult your family doctor to see if there is anything you can do to help concieve. And, you shouldn't "try" so hard. Just let nature take it's course.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Anyone in the same situation or just have something to say that will make sense to me right now?
    Please know that it takes an average healthy couple 6-12 months to concieve. Even if you time intercourse perfectly with ovulation, there is only a 20% chance of conception. Are you charting your basal body temps and your cervical fluids? If not, you should start that. Try reading the book called "Taking Charge of Your Fertility." I learned more than you could imagine about my body and getting pregnant from that book.
  • bissabwell
    bissabwell Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! I only just started trying but the first 2 months of BFN were very hard, plus I've been charting my BBT and now I don't think I am Oing, at least not this past round:brokenheart:

But, I am all about the research and the AVERAGE TTC time is 12 MONTHS!!! AVERAGE!!! In the long run a couple of BFN probably won't be that big a deal.

There is a group called Fit For Future Families that is all about this journey. I don't post very often, at least I haven't been, but I am trying to get more involved. COme on over and check it out, they are a great group of caring ladies in the same boat as us.

Stay positive and eventually you'll get there!

Melissa
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I had a hard time getting pregnant 11yrs ago. I dont know if this would still apply but I will throw it out there. My friend suggested I get my tubes "blown". She got pregnant right after doing this.

I went to the doctors and they set up the appt and I did it. They shot a die through my tubes to see if there was blockage. There did not seem to be any that they could see.

One month later I got pregnant with my second child. I dont know if by shooting this die through them it broke out a blockage though, and that might have done it.

Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • Buddie616
    Buddie616 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My sister tried getting pregnant for 14 years, she has always been on the heavy side because of PCOS. She finally put her mind to it lost 40 pounds and guess what she got pregnant. My little nephew is now 9 weeks old. NEVER give up!!!
  • wistfulgirl
    Options
    My husband and I have been TTC for nearly 8 years. We've never had a positive pregnancy test. We started seeing a Reproductive Endocrinologist in April 2010. We had several medical issues we had to work on and thought we had overcome most of those and were readying to carry on with fertility treatment in January this year when the RE told me he was "uncomfortable helping me to pursue a pregnancy at my current weight". He waited a year to tell me this!

So I am now struggling to lose the weight, but working at it hard. And, yes, I feel like giving up most days. But, I keep reminding myself what the reward at the end of my rainbow will (hopefully) be and I struggle on.

Good luck in your journey!
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for three months now. All three months, after finding out I'm not pregnant I get depressed and just want to give up eating healthy and taking care of myself. I take a day or two and eat whatever I want then get right back to my 400 calorie burn a day and 1,200 calorie diet. This time, after seeing the negative sign once again, I want to give up all together.

I hesitate to come across as giving advice on something like infertility - not being a doc & all. But I'm curious if you were told that you need to lose weight & diet to increase your chances? Everything I've come across seems to indicate that increased activity/being in good physical shape has more to do with it than actual dieting. That was the case for my wife & I. We struggled for years with infertility (surgeries, special supplements, artificial insemination, in vitro, you name it). We eventually opted for adoption. Fast forward a few years and we now are 7 months pregnant. What finally did the trick (in our current doctor's opinion) was us both being in the best physical shape of our lives... and some good fortune. We both had been consistently doing the P90X routines for a few months before conceiving. But I wouldn't say our diet changed much in that same time period.

But, again, I don't know your particular circumstance. Take it for what it's worth.
  • mishelnkiki
    mishelnkiki Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    my sister also did the same thing! after going thru invetro to have her now 3 year old, and being told she couldnt concieve the natural way, she lost a TON of weight. like 80 lbs i think. and u know what happened when she got down in her weight... BAM pregnant! my neice is now 5 or 6 months old. all that money that they spend on invetro, and now look! two gorgeous baby girls!