Getting the family to eat heathy.

Options
How can I do that any idea? My daughter is so picky and so is my husband. My husband is a all meat and seafood guy. No fruit or veggies.

As for my daughter she eat more heathery stuff than my husband but when she goes off with her dad (not my husband) and her grandparents She eats all junk . They feed her fast food and junk food or what ever she wants.

What can I do for them?

Replies

• casey34472
    casey34472 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    How can I do that any idea? My daughter is so picky and so is my husband. My husband is a all meat and seafood guy. No fruit or veggies.

As for my daughter she eat more heathery stuff than my husband but when she goes off with her dad (not my husband) and her grandparents She eats all junk . They feed her fast food and junk food or what ever she wants.

What can I do for them?
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is anything you can do about her going out to eat with her dad, etc. except for teaching her the importance of healthy whole foods.

For breakfast, you can puree some vegetables and add them to her scrambled eggs and offer her a sliced apple on the side with a slice of wheat bread.

I always offer my daughter fruit and/or vegetable with every signle meal. If we're having hamburgers for dinner and a few french fries, I will also add a sliced peach or banana or apple on the side or a corn on the cobb. She will always eat the fruit or vegetable and barely touches the fries.

The other day she wanted ice cream. She had already had a handful of M&M's earlier at my mom's house. I promised her some ice cream for being a good girl though so what I did was sliced up some strawberries and put a spoon full of cold cool whip with the strawberries and she enjoyed that.

I do not buy sodas for the house. If I make a cake or something with a lot of sugar, I will give her a small piece and do not deprive her. She is offered juice with her breakfast ONLY and is allowed milk before her nap and I always offer water with her dinner. On occassion I will allow her a sprite with her lunch or dinner if we are out, but that has only happened once.
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

Oh please...don't get me started
    My 4yr old isn't too bad, but my 3yr old...FORGET IT...she has the WORST diet...gives me chills
    She will skip eating/dinner all together....their is no negotiating with her etc
    I am praying it is just a phase

Kim
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    Hi

Oh please...don't get me started
    My 4yr old isn't too bad, but my 3yr old...FORGET IT...she has the WORST diet...gives me chills
    She will skip eating/dinner all together....their is no negotiating with her etc
    I am praying it is just a phase

Kim

I was the same way!! Unless it was candy or ice cream or chocolate, you'd better forget all about giving it to me. I have matured (when you start having to make your own food, you will eat anything given to you!!) and now I'm wanting to try things that before I would have thrown to the dogs!!!

:flowerforyou: Don't dispair!
  • karabeccasmith
    Options
    This is difficult. In the morning now I make fruit smoothies and add a veggie powder to the smoothies. You can also do fresh veggies in your smoothies that would be easily disguised by the fruit. I have a friend that did fruit smoothies with 20% veggies and then slowly upped the % of veggies until it was about half. That is a good way to give them a good dose of veggies and fruit plus their dairy all for breakfast. Now for lunch I try to give them green beans or carrots, you can buy them in little plastic containers like what fruit come in from Wal-Mart and I open one of those and split that with them. Then usually a piece of fruit or canned oranges and a piece of cheese and sometimes turkey lunch meat. For snacks I try to shop at the whole foods store and I buy those smashed real fruit snacks ( I call them fruit roll up because that is what they resemble). Dried strawberry's, whole wheat baked crackers, and all natural non processed animal crackers. Dinner is a different battle for me. I try to make several veggies meals and cut our meat back to two meals a week. But that is a learning curve for me right now. Like tonight we are having spinach pasta with Ragu sauce, green beans, and salad. Its simple but it will get them fed.

I am lucky because my husband is so easy to feed and the healthier the better! He is an angle when it comes to my cooking, he will eat anything!

Now the kids are totally different. I don't know how old your daughter is, but my 16 month son will eat and eat and eat! But there is a catch, if I serve potatoes for dinner then he only wants to eat potatoes. So I try to feed him the veggies first and hid the potatoes until he has eaten a good amount of the veggies.

My daughter, who is almost three, I think goes hungry most the times. She will eat three bites of dinner no matter what it is and then ask for a snack later. I have never given her a snack later and I tell her she doesn't get a snack because she didn't eat dinner. However I promise you this has been going on two months! I weigh her regularly and she has maintained or gained weight but I don't know how because she consumes so little food. But I don't want to force her to eat and I don't let her load up on snacks which would be her choice. I am hoping we are in a phase and this will change soon.

Their schedule is:

Breakfast- usually a smoothie, or eggs (scrambled or poached), bagel

Snack before nap- piece of fruit or whole wheat baked crackers

Lunch- veggie, fruit, cheeses, sometimes soup or leftovers

Snack-smashed fruit thingy or piece of fruit

Dinner-whatever i can come up with, but I always include a veggie or two or three. Fruit

Treats- Ice cream made by Hagindaz because they use simple ingredients like, milk, sugar,cream, and strawberries. We let both our kids have a little bit a few times a week.

Oh on drinks my kids are allowed have one cup of juice and one cup of milk (2%) a day and the the rest water. I buy the simply orange juice and HEB's organic apple juice.

It is hard to feed kids healthy but I started reading a book and need to finish it but it talks about the importance of feeding our kids healthy and cutting the processed foods out. It means it takes more planning and work on our part but it leads to a healthy lifestyle for our children. I think the book is called, "How to disease proof your children". I am going to finish reading it and adjust even more toward healthier foods, it is just a change of lifestyle and it is hard to change your lifestyle let alone a child's! Its even harder for me because I live in a small town in west Texas and I have to drive to a larger town to get all the healthy stuff, it is even hard to find a variety of veggies here!!!

So anyways after all I have told you :) I would suggest you find a book over this topic and maybe it can give you some good ideas and inspiration! Best of luck to you and your family!