Blood pressure issues

Options
makmyra
makmyra Posts: 121 Member
Since starting tis weight loss venture...I've noticed my blood pressure has been elevated. Last November I had gone to the doctor and my bp was its normal average of 115/72...I returned to the doctor in Feb and it was like 122/76...then I went again in March and it was like 125/72.....and recently I was sick and went to the doctor again and my blood pressure is 133/76...what the heck? Is it my attempt to lose weight and eat right? or does the diagnosis of High Blood Pressure creep up on u like that and next I'll be on medication? Help me...I'm worried...what can I do to stay off medication??? :grumble: :noway: :frown:

Replies

• Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I don't really know about your specific situation, but before I worked out diligently and was pushing 250, my BP was 156 at one time, and my gynecologist chewed me out. Since then, as in a few weeks ago it got checked and I HAVE been working out and eating right, it was at 130. Not great but.. I know for a fact that working out helped lower it.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    You should talk with your doctor about this. There are a billion factors that can elevate your blood pressure, and he'll have a better understanding of what's going on with you medically.
  • lisafred24
    lisafred24 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    High blood pressure that requires medicine is typically based on your lower number not the upper one. Any thing under 80 on bottom is normal. Not sure why your top number would keep elevating, you might ask your doctor. I have been on blood pressure medicine for about 10 years. Last year when I was doing Nutrisystem my blood pressure jumped about 10 points on bottom (even with bp meds), my doctor told me that although losing weight was great, people with high blood pressure could not do a diet using Nutrisystem or other pre-packaged meals because of the sodium content. I stopped the Nutrisystem and within a month my bp was back to normal (with meds). Are you eating a lot of pre-packaged meals that would have a high sodium content?
  • Sixalicious
    Sixalicious Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Blood pressure fluctuates throughout the day so it could be anything. Just keep making it a point to watch your diet, more specifically your sodium intake and potassium, and continue to get exercise. I've been battling hypertension since I had my last child almost three years ago and I finally got it under control with no medicine. Try not to stress or over think it. If you can, get a good home blood pressure monitor a check it every morning before you even get out of bed. That will be your best indication of how well it's being managed. When you go to the doctor's and have it checked you're dealing with other factors which can mess up your readings.
  • mestupscout
    mestupscout Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Medication doesn't usually come into play until something like 150/80. I would keep an eye on your sodium. Was your blood pressure taken at the same time of day? There's a lot of variables. I don't blame you for not wanting medicine. I was recently diagnosed with hypertension...this included a hospital stay. Keep eating right and exercising and you should be okay.
  • VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    You should talk with your doctor about this. There are a billion factors that can elevate your blood pressure, and he'll have a better understanding of what's going on with you medically.

Yes Yes Yes ....talk to your doctor. I have blood pressure issues and am on medication for it but I don't mind at all. Your doctor will know what to do. Blood pressure is an important thing to pay attention to. Always consult with a doctor first before you do any "home remedies.
  • snowflakelaia
    snowflakelaia Posts: 214
    Options
    I usually have the opposite problem. Very low blood pressure. 90/58 are my normal numbers. If I do not work out regularly it drops to 75/45 and I've almost fainted.

Knowing this, I listen to my body much more, and I can prevent any drops (by eating something salty for example).
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    BP can vary depending on time of day and what you were doing right before it was taken. Even standing up from a waiting room and walking to the Dr.'s exam room can elevate it. BP is best taken after sitting still for at least 5 minutes. Also, watch your sodium levels that you eat. Exercise and eating right are proven, though, to lower BP. Kind of odd that this would be happening, but again there are some variables that can affect it very easily.
  • decu68
    decu68 Posts: 78
    Options
    Definitely talk to your doctor.

I have been dealing with my blood pressure now for about 2 years. I'm in my 40's and my Grandfather had 2 heart attacks with the last killing him. Last year my Father had his 4th heart attack killing him; 2nd was a triple-bypass. I have many factors against me; (1) I'm male, (2) I'm over 40 and (3) hereditary. I cannot do anything about these but unlike my Father and Grandfather, i keep physically fit, I'm not a smoker, I'm not an alcoholic and I don't overeat. I see my doctor regularly to ensure on track. I monitor myself at home as purchased a meter. And I have been on meds now for this last year and a bit.

Stress can bring on high blood pressure, I know this well. THINKING about high pressure can increase it. Just so many factors that again, if your concern then definitely talk to your doctor.
  • makmyra
    makmyra Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I know stress can definetly add to my bp elevating...and lets say I've had my great share of stress these last 6mths. I only eat pre-packaged meals when I work my 3 days a week...like a lean cuisine or smartone only because of convienence and simplicity. I also am 40...both my folks have high bp and are on meds...and it runs in our family. I've spoken to my doctor and he said I should just kinda watch it for another few months as I've taken on exercise and a new way of eating...but that scares me cuz I don't wanna drop dead with a heart attack or something crazy like that..... :grumble:
  • ladykathalina
    ladykathalina Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I know exactly where you are coming from! :huh: I would definitely talk with your doctor because I have the same problem. Exercise and low sodium diet will help a lot. Ive heard a lot of people have gotten off of their meds with losing their extra pounds. Easier said then done but I guess we just have to keep on after our weight loss goals! Good Luck!:drinker:
    4162358.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,228 Member
    Options
    BP can vary depending on time of day and what you were doing right before it was taken. Even standing up from a waiting room and walking to the Dr.'s exam room can elevate it. BP is best taken after sitting still for at least 5 minutes. Also, watch your sodium levels that you eat. Exercise and eating right are proven, though, to lower BP. Kind of odd that this would be happening, but again there are some variables that can affect it very easily.

Also make sure to visit the washroom before you go in. Having a full bladder will raise blood pressure.
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    If you can't lower your BP with lifestyle changes then there are worse things than being on meds to bring it down.

I've lost 50 lbs (only 9 lbs to go!!) and cut back my sodium intake dramatically but I am still on two BP meds. The difference now is instead of my BP being 140/85 on meds it's about 117/75, which is just fine with me. I'd rather take the pills now and live longer!
  • PrairieRoseNE
    PrairieRoseNE Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Do you track your sodium intake here at MFP?? If you don't, maybe you should!
    Pre-packaged meals are notoriously high in sodium.
    I have high BP and manage it with 1 pill a day and by sticking to a low sodium diet.
    If you need suggestions about reducing sodium in your diet - send me a message if you want to :)
    Good Luck!
    PrairieRoseNE