Options
13»

Replies

• Catyoung28
    Catyoung28 Posts: 2
    Options
    Great thread - thanks!

Been pondering what to log.
    I'll not log riding to work (30min each way) because I'd have to do that in a car/van anyway, so only a small gain.
    Won't bother with the short, fun trips out.
    But will log any longer trips, ride outs and challenging journeys.
    Am going to go with the 150/hr as the baseline to be on the conservative side (I weigh 120lbs).

Here it the UK, bikers stop for tea and fry ups to compensate for the cold, rainy & windy weather.
    Guess that explains why there are a lot of fat bikers, despite riding being a good workout!
  • Catyoung28
    Catyoung28 Posts: 2
    Options
    Stop press!

Just found a great online calculator into which you can put your weight and it'll tell you how many calories you can expect to burn for LOADS of different forms of exercise:

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php

Motorbiking is under Driving.

My hourly burn rate came out at 143 so I wasn't far off with my estimate of 150, but I'm going to edit it to the more precise measurement. Just working my way through the rest of my exercises now... (how many calories do you burn thinking about exercise?!)
  • karennh65
    karennh65 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I was curious about this also so I wore my bodymedia band while riding my harley and I burned 300 calories during an 1 hour ride.

That is amazing............I will be burning a crap load come the long weekend!!!
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I burnt a load when my battery died, it was a level road and I tried to bump start it for an hour before giving up and calling recovery!

I don't think I'd log riding my bike though - even if I do have to do the garage-shuffle as him indoors always blocks mine in grrrrrrr lol
  • jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    It makes sense that it burns off calories I suppose.

At 161lbs I burn off approximately 180 calories an hour allegedly, I can believe it too, I like flinging my bike around twisties!
  • yasashiikuma
    yasashiikuma Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I rode for about 10 hours last Saturday, and could have used a crane to get off the bike at the end. I figured there had to be SOME calories being burned, but I originally plugged it into the WW Activity tracker and it said 39 points! I'm glad I found the caloriesperhour site - that will help me determine what I am burning as I lose :bigsmile:
  • IMStrongerNow
    Options
    I love driving my bike, but can't find where to account for it in My Fitness in the exercise portion. I want to be sure to count every bit of exercise that I do. LOL We were riding for hours on Saturday and I didn't know you could count all this fun as exercise.
  • speedy740
    speedy740 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    At risk of starting a Harley / sportbike rift in this thread... I'd agree you're probably not buring that many calories on the "Hog." Every cruiser I've ever been on has a very relaxed riding position and uses a high, wide bar with plenty of leverage for steering inputs... it's set up to maintain comfort over long distances and to steer gradually with little effort. You can hold the cruiser riding position all day without effort - try it in your chair in front of your computer.

Now try holding the sportbike riding position with just the edge of your butt on the edge of your desk chair. Then start shifting your weight from side to side like you're throwing your bike into the corners... how long before you start to feel it? Which one do you think burns more calories?
    [/quote

I 100% agree, I ride a cbr 929 rocket... Ride for a day you will know you lost calories, trust me! Now ride a sled in the backcountry and 8x those calories lol
  • ammadove
    ammadove Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I think that 170 calorie burn is from motocross, which is a bit more physically challenging that just street driving a motorcycle. :smile: