Carbs

Options
I have found that through this process, I could potentially be eating some of the wrong foods. For instance, today I have had a kashi bar, turkey sandwich and peanut butter crackers. I dont feel like that is very healthy and although I stay at my 1200 calories(most days) I cant seem to lose alot of weight. Could I be eating the wrong foods?

Replies

• jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much weight you have to lose and what you meant by "can't lose a lot of weight". How much are you trying to lose?
  • Helena4
    Helena4 Posts: 124
    Options
    i have JUST been thinking about this too. I used to be on a wheat free diet - not by choice, I had a wheat allergy and since the doctors gave me the all clear - I have put on weight...I lost about 8lbs in a couple of months on this wheat free diet they put me on. I wasn't exercising either. So i think from tomorrow, I'm cutting back my wheat - but I'll still be having my bran flakes for breakfast, for fibre and have the odd bit of wholemeal/granary bread. Just try cutting back on white carbs - they seem to bloat and slow down the fat burning. I don't know if thats for everyone, but I found this is what happens for me!
  • leighton1245
    leighton1245 Posts: 125
    Options
    You are correct in saying that isnt very healthy because you arent giving you body fuel to burn all the time. That is the first key to losing weight and the second is calorie deficit IMO. Try eating 5-6 times a day and switch out the bars and crackers for fruits and veggies
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Eating too many carbs will make it difficult to lose weight. I customized my goal numbers because MFP had my carbs way too high and my protein way too low. I have my carbs set at 45% and my protein set at 35%. This is within the RDA. Another thing is that 1200 calories may not be enough calories for you. I plateaued when eating only 1200 calories. I got dizzy, light headed, had trouble exercising...it wasn't good. My doctor had me bump my calories up to 1400 calories a day. My weight loss picked right back up. MFP had my calories figured at 1240 calories. Just the couple hundred calorie increase really helped me. I am still losing at least a pound a week. It is also important that you NET at least 1200 calories (or higher if you chose to). When you exercise it is important to eat back most, if not all of those exercise calories. When you net under 1200 calories a day your metabolism slows down and so does weight loss. It sounds crazy, but eating more can actually make you lose more. It speeds up your metabolism. I hope this helps.
  • jamie1888
    Options
    If that's a current picture of you on your profile, it doesn't look like you have much weight to lose. If that is the case, yes, the weight will come off pretty slowly and yes, eating clean is really going to help you. And if you aren't doing any strength training, you should add that to your exercise routine. That is what's going to be key in transforming your body.
  • annstan12
    annstan12 Posts: 23
    Options
    I eat alot of fruits and veggies, as well as the bars and crackers too. I try to eat to be full. I am going to cut my carbs and see what happens. I am just trying to lose 10 lbs.
  • annstan12
    annstan12 Posts: 23
    Options
    Yes, I dont have much to go....I just am flabby. I tried to shred with Jillian then pulled my hamstring playing tennis, so I stopped. I am going to get back on it this week though!
  • jamie1888
    Options
    Yes, I dont have much to go....I just am flabby. I tried to shred with Jillian then pulled my hamstring playing tennis, so I stopped. I am going to get back on it this week though!

This says it all... "I am just flabby". This probably means you've been a cardio queen and haven't incorporated strength training into your routine. Try to start lifting some weights! Not low weight / high reps... you need to go heavy with the weights. You will NOT bulk up! Once you start building some muscle, you will not be flabby. And the more muscle tone you have, the more calories your body burns at rest.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing this and how much have you lost? Weight loss in general usually has more to do with calories then anything else. What you eat will more effect your strength, performance and how you feel. Have you tried upping your calories a little? 1200 is too low for some people. Also like others have said, it seems you are more interested in being toned then actually losing weight. A bit more challenging strength training might be what you need.