When should I try to start running?

Options
I joined a local gym at the end of March. I've been going at least 4 days a week and I do 40 minutes of elliptical and 40 minutes of the treadmill. I just walk the treadmill but I want to start burning up more calories. I've never ran, I have good shoes, no physical or health problems but for some reason I am scared to start. Any advice?

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I did it by gradually working my way up speed-wise. There will come a point where you can't even fast walk anymore because it'll be too fast. I started slowly jogging at that point and just kept pushing myself til I was running.
  • HealthyEscape
    HealthyEscape Posts: 255
    Options
    Try Couch 2 5K. It;s a great easy start for new runners. I am doing it and love it!
    http://www.c25k.com/
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    couch to 5k. it's a good way to sort of break your way in slowly.

• fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Intervals are a great way to start.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Nike says it best - just do it!

You don't need a program. Just run. When your tired stop. Next time try to go longer.
  • MindyC7609
    MindyC7609 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Try Couch 2 5K. It;s a great easy start for new runners. I am doing it and love it!

+1

Totally would have been my recommendation to you too. Good luck! I used to hate running, and I just did my 3rd half marathon, so you NEVER know what you can accomplish! :o)
  • SoFancySoBlessed
    SoFancySoBlessed Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    BEFORE I STARTED RUNNING I DID POWER WALK FIRST JUST TO GET MY HEART PUMPING.....I WORK FOR AN ORTHOPAEDIC SURGEON AND HE SUGGESTED TO POWER WALK FOR 3 MINUTES AND RUN FOR 1 MINUTE, ALTERNATE THE TWO, JUST TO BUILD UP YOUR STRENGTH AND GET YOUR KNEES USED TO IT. I HAVE BEEN RUNNING EVER SINCE :bigsmile: DONT TRY TO OVER-DO IT SO SOON OUT THE GATE, TAKE YOUR TIME!!!! :happy: HAVE FUN!!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Look up the Couch to 5k plan. www.c25k.com

It's a guideline for beginners to start running. The first week, you run one minute, then walk for 90 seconds, and repeat 8 times. The next week, you run a little longer, then a little longer, and longer until you're able to run for a half hour.

It works and it's awesome. :smile: I started in December on the treadmill, and I'm able to run more than 5 miles now, training for a 10k in July.
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options

You don't need a program. Just run. When your tired stop. Next time try to go longer.

Fully agree! It worked great for me and now I am up to 5+ miles in a clip. :bigsmile:
  • lynnmarie60
    lynnmarie60 Posts: 325
    Options
    I can't stand running but it burns some good calories so I start off jogging then get into a run.
  • McGruber03
    McGruber03 Posts: 113
    Options
    I am 33 years old, became a 'runner' in December of 2008 and have ran 3 marathons, 3 half marathons and some shorter races. I am 5'6", 155 lbs (not skinny, actually at the high end of a normal BMI). I already exercised, but I wanted to do more. I started running 1/2 mile, then went up in 1/2 mile increments, then mile increments. It took me 10 months to train and complete my first marathon, but it took me an entire 3 months to get to 3 miles. So, my advice as a novice runner (who is still very slow, but can do a long distance) is to start low and go slow. Don't try to start with 3 miles...start with 1/2 mile and go from there. Listen to your body and quit when you are in pain. Good luck!:happy:
  • lisapickering
    lisapickering Posts: 374
    Options

Agreed!! Just do it!
  • TankGirl71
    TankGirl71 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Scared of what? Put your sneaks on and get your fanny outside. Walk for 2 minutes, then do a slow jog until you get uncomfortable. Walk it off. Lather, rinse, repeat. Before you know it, you'll be doing a mile without stopping. And then two. And then a 5K. C'mon, it's like pulling off a bandaid. Just do it!
    I look like a wounded wildebeest when I run, but I still get out there and do it several x a week.
  • jessica05h
    jessica05h Posts: 17
    Options
    I'm a product of the C25K myself. I hated running before I started the program and now I am averaging between 10 and 15 miles a week. The program tells you when to run and when to walk and before you realize it you're running a full 5K. Once you are able to run this distance I doubt the elliptical will be a big enough challenge. I've stopped working out on the elliptical altogether because I do not find it as good of a workout as running. GOOD LUCK!!
  • TankGirl71
    TankGirl71 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    OMG, I didn't realize you were British. I shouldn't have said fanny. OMG I said it again! I didn't mean what you think I meant! :-)
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    wounded wildebeest

:laugh: That's a good one. :laugh:
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    OMG, I didn't realize you were British. I shouldn't have said fanny. OMG I said it again! I didn't mean what you think I meant! :-)
    To be honest she'll have difficulty if she tries to leave it at home, so you weren't wrong when you said she needs to take it outside...
  • bubblybabeuk
    bubblybabeuk Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Hi I am from England too, go to itunes and download NHS Couch to 5k podcasts, they are free!!! I have just started Week 2 and I can tell you they are fab , you are talked through the whole thing with encouragement and tips. Make sure you have some good fitting running shoes and go for it!

Mandy x
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I look like a wounded wildebeest when I run, but I still get out there and do it several x a week.

OMG I almost spit my coffee out! And as for the fanny comment I grew up in the US and just moved to the UK so I got exactly what you meant LOL. You should of seen the look on the shop girls face when we were in London at a gift shop and I asked if they sold fanny packs. Priceless I tell ya!

Ok I will check out the C25K stuff, thanks everyone. I may just put it on my ipod today!
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    To be honest she'll have difficulty if she tries to leave it at home, so you weren't wrong when you said she needs to take it outside...

You have a valid point here! LOL