Can someone explain this to me..

Options
I usually eat back my exercise calories, well..almost all of them. I guess I am wondering what the point of exercising to lose weight is...if I just eat back the calories? I gain 200-500 calories per night from cardio exercise.

Could you lose the same amount of weight if you did only 1200 calories, not 1600 --400 from exercise calories?

Thank you.

P>S I plan to keep it up, because it has been working for me. I just don't understand it! :)

Replies

• JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Your body has to have a certain amount of calories to survive and function(min. 1200)....when you exercise, you take some of the essential needed calories away, which is why you have to eat them back....
  • losin4good
    losin4good Posts: 11
    Options
    I wonder the same thing... but I do know one of the benefits from exercise is toning up so you don't have loose skin flopping everywhere when you do lose weight
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    MFP sets your caloric deficit to lose the weight on your normal activity level (which you should have chosen without your excercise level unless you workout for a living) so you may lose quicker initially not eating back those cals but eventually itll wear on your body and become unhealthy. Im not a whole hearted believer that 1200 is the magic number for everyone to hit starvation mode but I do believe that there is a point where your body refuses to let go of excess cals and stores everything due to deficits. Since the calorie counts for excercise arent completly accurate on here (unless you enter yourself using an HRM) you can try eating back about half, which is what I typically do
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    You need to eat back at least some of your exercise calories to keep your net calories above 1200. MFP sets your calories for the amount of weight you want to lose without figuring in exercise (that way if you don't do it, you still lose). Exercise is important for your overall health and toning while losing weight. If you eat too few calories your weight loss will stall.
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    MFP already deducts your weight loss calories. 1 lb lost / week => 3500/7 calories deducted per day. So, if you exercise, eat those calories, and come to 0 calories remaining, you still have the -500 that MFP has hiding in the background.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    First, Exercise is not for losing weight, losing weight depends 90% on diet 10% on exercise. So Exercise plays a minority in losing weight, What exercise does for you, is keep you strong, and healthy, It improves your organs, cardio vascular system, etc.

While Exercise does slowly increase your metabolism and make you look better you lose the same amount of weight by not working out too to a certain extent

So yes you could not work out at all and eat 1200 calories and lose the same amount of weight as someone who worked out and at 1600 calories -400 work out calories.

But the person who works out will be toned, will drop inches, will have lower cholestrol, will be able to sleep better, will have a faster metabolism, will eventually be able to eat more and maintain their weight than the person who just "dieted" and didn't add working out into their routine.

Read the link in my signature.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    also, if you are aiming at a net of 1200 calories, that already has a deficit built into it. Meaning, your body probably uses up about 2000 per day just by being alive. When you eat 1200, you force your body to go to it's fat storage to get the rest of the energy it needs. This is great! But if you exercise away a bunch of calories too, it's cutting back too much, and your body will resist losing the weight if you undereat consistently.

Until you are within 15lbs of your goal, eat them back! It works!!!
  • antijen
    antijen Posts: 112 Member
    Options

Could you lose the same amount of weight if you did only 1200 calories, not 1600 --400 from exercise calories?

Sure (more or less), but you'll be less hungry and get more nutrients if you're able to eat more food. You will also be toned, strong and have a higher metabolism. Not to mention the many other physical and mental health benefits of exercise.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    The body doesn't work like that. You have to exercise to tell your body to burn fat. Without exercise you may still lose but might be at a slower rate and you will most likely stall earlier.

As far as the exercise calories go, most will say eat them or eat some. The general rule is not to go under 1200 calories unless you have been told different by your Dr.

You really have to just try to find what works for you and if you stall, just have to change it up, maybe eat more, change your exercise. It is all trial and error to find your balance.

Good Luck and Keep us posted!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I usually eat back my exercise calories, well..almost all of them. I guess I am wondering what the point of exercising to lose weight is...if I just eat back the calories? I gain 200-500 calories per night from cardio exercise.

Thank you.

P>S I plan to keep it up, because it has been working for me. I just don't understand it! :)

The answer to your question is yes. Yes, you can lose the same amount of weight if you ate only 1200 and did not exercise. However, eventually, your weight loss would slow because you aren't building muscle. Also, it has been shown that people who exercise are more likely to keep their weight off. The exercise is to get toned and get your heart healthy and make this a for life thing. Not really to lose weight, although building muscle will help you to lose weight.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    If it were a simple math problem, yes!

However; we know that losing weight is not a simple math problem. It has to do with so many variables. Some being the sodium content causing water retention. The most important being that when you exercise you get your metabolim revved up and it keeps burning after you are done. You will be building muscle, even if it is only the heart muscle. Not to mention you get endorphines and exercise actually supresses appetite for a little while. So calorie for calorie it may seem like an even exchange but looking at a return on investment. Exercise wins hands down.
  • amberlineilene
    Options
    Thanks Everyone!! :)
  • judycfox
    judycfox Posts: 3
    Options
    How much exercise are you doing? Do you incorporate weight training with cardio? Are you well fueled pryor to exercise? Exercise burns the glycogen stores in your body. It's very important to have a good source of Protien and Complex Carbs PRYOR to your workout. Your body needs energy. Otherwise, you may be over doing it and therefore find yourself famished afterwards. Try eating a small amount of SIMPLE CARBS & Protien after your workout to replenish the glycogen atores. DON'T WORK FOR FOOD!!!