clean eating AGAIN :)

Options
ok so i want to try this eating clean becasue i know its best. Now can you all give me ideas of what i can eat. I read that as long as it comes from nature or has a mother that i can eat it..... any ideas would help.Thanks again MFP friends :)

Replies

• Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    One ingredient foods are good. :) Foods that don't have a list on the back of them for calories like fruits, vegetables, etc. is a start.
  • l3xii
    l3xii Posts: 160
    Options
    so does that mean i can only eat fruit veggies and meat?
  • Ladydi1982
    Ladydi1982 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I actually just ordered the book "The Complete Idiots Guide to Clean Eating" yesterday from Amazon it was only around $12... I'll let you know how it turns out. Clean eating really does seem like the way to go...
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Cheese, grains,beans and legumes,too.
  • crissa413
    crissa413 Posts: 67
    Options
    I eat clean by eating whole foods - fruits, veggies, meat, etc. as well as eating foods that I can read the nutrition label and recognize every ingredient (i.e. no chemicals) like Kashi for example.
  • l3xii
    l3xii Posts: 160
    Options
    I actually just ordered the book "The Complete Idiots Guide to Clean Eating" yesterday from Amazon it was only around $12... I'll let you know how it turns out. Clean eating really does seem like the way to go...
    yeah please let me know i just might consider ordering it my self
  • sandyfeet10
    sandyfeet10 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    i started seeing a nutritionist who gave me a food list and some recipes that she used for her own family regarding clean eating! my insurance covers 3 visits a year to a nutritionist, so it's a great resource for me. congrats on your engagement!
  • sweetmanjd
    sweetmanjd Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If you really want to geek out and have a resource you can go back to over and over again, I highly recommend "Clean" by Alejandro Junger. (available online or probably in local bookstores)
    It's geared toward doing a pretty rigorous 3 week clean eating program...BUT, if you're not game for a serious commitment just yet, it has LOADS of excellent information that is really helpful just in becoming mindful of what you eat, why, and what it does to/for your body.

GOOD LUCK!!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I eat clean by eating whole foods - fruits, veggies, meat, etc. as well as eating foods that I can read the nutrition label and recognize every ingredient (i.e. no chemicals) like Kashi for example.

Same here. Most people (myself included) would have a very difficult time eating 100% clean. I don't make everything I eat, but when I do eat foods that are pre-made (cereal, bread, etc.), I make sure I read the ingredients and know what they are. I try my best to avoid all white sugar (or processed sugars in general), white flours, preservatives, and all the unnecessary stuff they add to things now a days. So, I buy peanut butter - but it has one ingredient: peanuts. Some PBs have added salt, oils, sugars, etc.

I'm not perfect, but I feel good about my choices and I make sure I know what I'm eating.
  • GeminiStayFresh
    Options

Just ordered this book ! Thanks !
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I have adopted the 80/20 mind set as it is impossible for me to eat completely clean, so 80% of what i eat is whole unprocessed foods. and 80 percent is still healthy just some what processed..

Fruits and veggies
    Lean meats
    Beans
    Rice
    SOME dairy
    Spices
    etc

then my non clean consist of

pasta
    a few base sauces
    A brownie mix or two (EVERY NOW AND THEN)
    a few dressings etc.

Breads is an arguable clean eating food. Some say Whole wheats are clean some say that they aren't I have heard both ways.

When you look at the list of ingredients, you want the majority 80% to be real products ie milk, corn, wheat, etc none of the artifical this and red135 or all the sugars If it has those its not clean. the less ingredients the better

another trick I have heard is this; if you can hold it under water and dissolves fast or turns to mush fast, then its not as CLEAN as it should be, think of rice, and veggies and meat. those dont dissolve or turn to mush very quickly

think crackers, cereal, bread, and desserts those dissolve quickly and aren't that healthy for you.
  • gcineas
    gcineas Posts: 121
    Options
    some things i like to keep around so you have a list:

sugar free jelly
    sweet potatoe
    lean chicken like purdue chicken (i have the one that is 4 oz for 100 cals)
    tilapia
    canned tuna or fresh tuna
    salmon
    vegetables like: asparagus, mushrooms, garlic, onions carrots, lettuce (romaine, iceburg or any other kind)
    olive oil
    almonds
    strawberries and other fruits also grapefruit
    if you like beef and other meets make sure they are lean- I have found beef that is 98% lean and 2% fat for 140 cals
    soy milk almond milk
    egg whites
    rice cakes

here is what i typically eat in the day:
    1. egg whites in the morning
    2. grapefruit as a snack
    3. for lunch i will have a side salad with grilled chicken and some mixed vegetables
    4. I will have a rice cake or two with some sugar free jelly
    5.after the gym I will have a protein shake
    6. for dinner I will have grilled chicken or fish with a sweet potato and as desert I will have some strawberries

You can add me if you want to look at my diary as I try to eat pretty clean and work out everyday!

You can do this it may seem overwhelming but it gets easier :)
  • gcineas
    gcineas Posts: 121
    Options
    sorry about the typos!
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    If you'd like to get some good ideas about the diverse things you can eat clean, I'd recommend picking up a copy of the latest Clean Eating magazine. It will definately help you wrap your mind around how to make delicious clean meals work for you!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    If you'd like to get some good ideas about the diverse things you can eat clean, I'd recommend picking up a copy of the latest Clean Eating magazine. It will definately help you wrap your mind around how to make delicious clean meals work for you!

I second this - I've gotten tons of good recipes from this magazine!
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    bump - i'm looking into this!
  • kirstinkrueger
    Options
    bump - i'm looking into this!

"clean eating" is just another way to say "healthy eating." as long as you eat nutritious foods most of the time and treats/junk sometimes, you'll be ok.

this is my typical grocery list:

fat free/lactose free milk
    egg substitutes
    fat free cheese
    no sugar added yogurt
    fat free turkey slices
    skinless/boneless chicken breasts
    tilapia fillets
    tuna in water
    salmon fillets
    light sweet onion dressing
    bran cereal
    plain oats
    light whole wheat bread
    whole grain crackers
    brown rice
    dried beans (black, kidney, etc)
    reduced fat peanut butter
    mixed raw nuts (almonds, walnuts, etc)
    extra virgin olive oil spray
    raisins
    bananas
    avocados
    blueberries
    strawberries
    ggrapes
    apples
    oranges
    watermelon
    prunes
    spinach
    peas
    broccoli
    asparagus
    mushrooms
    peppers
    tomatoes
    onions
    carrots
    sweet potatoes
    green tea

a great site for recepes::
    http://cleaneatingclub.com/
  • kirstinkrueger
    Options
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

be careful with Kashi....it can give you BAD gas....Go Lean Crunch is the worst! Anything that contains chicory root fiber has this effect. You are warned!!! LOL
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • atrayubrandy
    atrayubrandy Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    bump! :-)