Emotional Eating

Options
I am not hungry, but just emotionally eating. How do I stop? I just want to eat and eat and eat. Eating makes me feel better. I have lost alot of weight even before coming into MFP and I don't want to gain it back. Help...need some support.

Replies

• rosiesantos7
    rosiesantos7 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I am not hungry, but just emotionally eating. How do I stop? I just want to eat and eat and eat. Eating makes me feel better. I have lost alot of weight even before coming into MFP and I don't want to gain it back. Help...need some support.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Ah hun...
    I've been going through this same thing the last few weeks.
    A huge thing I have to KEEP telling myself is that I am not hungry, but am trying to satisfy an emotion.
    Sometimes it helps but sometimes it doesn't.

Breaking emotional eating takes a lot of work, it's such an ingrained habit.
    We gotta figure out what it is emotionally we are needing.
  • JennyGetsFit
    JennyGetsFit Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I 've been researching the habit-breaking techniques lately and wrote up about it. if you are interested shoot me a mesage i will give you a URL.
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of us with the same issue. Anytime something is off in my life a piece (or ten!) of chocolate or a run to DQ or a glass of wine seems to make it all better (not so much when I do all three, though....:sick: )

I haven't found a way to keep it in check, though I have heard that when you actually allow yourself to experience the emotion in it's total package, you not only deal with that emotion and what caused it better, you are a healthier person inside and out.

The world would have us bottle our emotions to prevent anyone getting into our emotions and finding us weak, but it isn't weakness!! It takes so much strength and trust in yourself to let go and really cry and really laugh and really feel.

If it's too big of a leap (or having a good cry isn't possible at work :grumble: ) take a moment to type out all your frustrations and emotions before you grab something to nom on. It may not prevent the eating, but it may stave off a full blown binge.

:flowerforyou:
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options

If it's too big of a leap (or having a good cry isn't possible at work :grumble: ) take a moment to type out all your frustrations and emotions before you grab something to nom on. It may not prevent the eating, but it may stave off a full blown binge.

:flowerforyou:

i like this idea
  • conniptionfits
    Options
    I feel ya! I'm havent lost that much weight but my emotional eating sure is holding me back. I've only had TWO times since ive been dieting and exercising that i've lapsed into my emotional eating. My problem is mainly boredom and when i get my feelings hurt. I find it helpful to think about why i want to eat and if there isn't something i can do to make myself feel emotionally better so i wont eat the house
    :laugh: Usually it's getting up from whatever i'm doing or not doing and finding something i can do that i wont think about food. Painting really helps! can't eat if my hands are covered in paint and i feel even better when i have something pretty to look at!!
  • meg0112
    meg0112 Posts: 344
    Options
    Try to channel that emotion into something. This is something I have been working on because I am not a cryer and it seems weird to me to just sit and cry even though that is probably exactly what I need. Go for a walk or clean something to keep your mind and body busy. I haven't needed to try it yet, but a friend of mine suggested not to long ago that when I am feeling very emotional and getting that urge to emotional eat to get in the shower and really think about my feelings. I know that sounds odd but stay with me, she also doesn't like to cry but said if she is in the shower and her face is already wet, the tears come much easier.
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    Try to channel that emotion into something. This is something I have been working on because I am not a cryer and it seems weird to me to just sit and cry even though that is probably exactly what I need. Go for a walk or clean something to keep your mind and body busy. I haven't needed to try it yet, but a friend of mine suggested not to long ago that when I am feeling very emotional and getting that urge to emotional eat to get in the shower and really think about my feelings. I know that sounds odd but stay with me, she also doesn't like to cry but said if she is in the shower and her face is already wet, the tears come much easier.

I am not a huge crier either (note depressed post about deploying fiance).
    Still haven't REALLY cried.....(thanks LASIK)
    I have found that when I am in the shower, and no one sees/hears/etc....I can sometimes just open the flood gates....not this time...but in the past it's worked.
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options

O, fellow Meg, I am the opposite (I cry anytime I feel overwhelmed......good lord, I know! But once those tears are dry, whatever made them fall had better RUN!) but I find these tips you have very helpful. I work out harder and longer when I'm angry or unhappy.
  • rosiesantos7
    rosiesantos7 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the support. You guys have great ideas and I am sure to try them and see what works for me.