Logging CrossFit

Options
Hey everyone! I just started CrossFit and am not sure how to log it. I was just adding it under "circuit training" ... do you think that's the best way to do it? Thanks!

Replies

• juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Hi I was just reading up on CrossFit a littleand it looks interesting and fun. Does it raise your heart rate? It sounds like it would? So, if you want to log it as cardio, I guess I'd recommend getting a heart rate monitor that take your personal info and then calculates calories burned.
  • jell52
    jell52 Posts: 15
    Options
    I'm doing crossfit bootcamp. (It doesn't involve the heavy lifting.) I love it so far and am thinking of trading over to crossfit. I normally put it under circuit training also.
  • StephRN08
    StephRN08 Posts: 4
    Options
    I've been entering p90x & the 30 day Shred as circuit training, so I would think Crossfit is too?
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hi I was just reading up on CrossFit a littleand it looks interesting and fun. Does it raise your heart rate? It sounds like it would? So, if you want to log it as cardio, I guess I'd recommend getting a heart rate monitor that take your personal info and then calculates calories burned.

Yes, it sure does raise your heart rate! It is very high intensity... I had my first basic workout the other day - it was only about 10 minutes but I was out of breath after about 3! haha. I have a HR monitor, maybe I will wear it next time! Thanks! : )
  • mtntrailrunner
    Options
    i just put mine as circuit. if i lose or gain a few extra calories, meh.
  • waynetedwards
    waynetedwards Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Looks like you're in the same boat as me. I've been doing lots of research regarding this. I have a coach that wears a body bug but I don't want to drop 250 dollars for some doo dad and have it measure way more than I need to calculate. I don't want to find out how many cals I'm burning while sleeping or peeing, etc.

I just log the food and try not to pay attention to calories gained by working out. Could cause you to over-eat if you think you need to play the catch up game in calories.

It is kind of annoying not to know and not to find an answer that helps.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Looks like you're in the same boat as me. I've been doing lots of research regarding this. I have a coach that wears a body bug but I don't want to drop 250 dollars for some doo dad and have it measure way more than I need to calculate. I don't want to find out how many cals I'm burning while sleeping or peeing, etc.

I just log the food and try not to pay attention to calories gained by working out. Could cause you to over-eat if you think you need to play the catch up game in calories.

It is kind of annoying not to know and not to find an answer that helps.

I just picked up a Polar FT7 off Amazon for $75 with free shipping. It's got a continuous read with a chest strap...so it will log your calories burned for the entire workout, and with more accuracy than the el-cheapo $40 wal mart SportLine units. Also you won't have to keep pushing the 'read' button for it to monitor calories...it just does it. It also will record up to 99 sessions, so you can compare intensity from one workout to another if you like.

Polar is a pretty highly recommended brand...and I think it's money well spent if a person intends to make fitness a lifestyle.

Here's the link to the Polar website, and the unit I got:

http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/products/get_active/fitness_crosstraining/FT7

Cris