Need advice on low carb snacks please

Options
zeeeb
zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
I would like to cut down on my starchy carbs in the evening. I know i'm a bit of a carbo junkie, and wouldn't contemplate doing a low carb diet, it's just a recipe for disaster for me, but i would like to stop with it in the evenings. which i know will be a slow process. I totally rely on my carbs to make me feel full in my lunch and tea meals.

I like to have a snack at night once the kids are in bed and usually save some of my days calories to be able to have a 200 calorie snack at night which is usually carby.

Can anyone give me a nice fulfilling idea for a snack (and not carrot / celery sticks).

Replies

• Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    popcorn (technically a carb but not one of the worst you can choose and a great way to learn to substitute when you are having a card rage), fiber one bars (or another protein or fiber bar you like), protein shake, Apple with a little carmel (sweet tooth satisfied) or peanut butter on the apple, Cheese
  • sandralina
    sandralina Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm usually at cheese sticks or jerky when I want to eat a low-carb meal. Or a hard-boiled egg.
  • akruse1
    akruse1 Posts: 1
    Options
    Beef jerky!!
  • Satya_Ayurveda
    Satya_Ayurveda Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    OK, so I eat gluten free which in turn, ends up being a very low carb diet for me. Ever since I have gone gluten free, the weight has just fallen off and my cravings for carbs and starchy foods seem to have mostly disappeared. However, when I do have those cravings, I will take a rice cake and put a very thin amount of organic peanut butter on it and it is filling and I don't end up overdoing it.
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Cheese sticks (I like string cheese because I can draaaaag out eating it and it feels like it takes longer to eat), jerky, eggs, dill pickles (mmmm)...

I fill with vegetables instead of bread and pastas, etc.
  • l3xii
    l3xii Posts: 160
    Options
    pop corn or sugar free jello. I love it :)
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    if you want a nice low carb yummy deserts Ricotta cheese with a little sweetner and and of the various flavor extracts available makes a great dessert, its like you are eating BAD but you are not.

here are a bunch of ideas

http://www.mizfrogspad.com/Diet/Recipes/Ph1_Desserts.htm
  • grs21now
    grs21now Posts: 8
    Options
    Hello, You are doing very well. Do'nt try too hard. Popcorn or some nuts could help a little or wait another 10 minutes and then think again,by then you may have changed your mind. If all else fails, have a glass of whisky. (I'm a Scot) whatever enjoy your life. Re:flowerforyou: gards M xx
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    If you like cottage cheese, you can add a tbs of sugar free marmalade or preserves (oranges, appricot or peaches), and put the mix on top of a rice cake.

You will get the crunch, sweet flavor, and the protein all in one.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Hello, You are doing very well. Do'nt try too hard. Popcorn or some nuts could help a little or wait another 10 minutes and then think again,by then you may have changed your mind. If all else fails, have a glass of whisky. (I'm a Scot) whatever enjoy your life. Re:flowerforyou: gards M xx

A woman after my own heart!!!:drinker:
  • popchex
    popchex Posts: 52 Member
    Options

Ha! I love it! When I have some calories to spare, I have myself a diet coke with Capt. Morgan's spiced rum. My husband reaches for the whiskey. :D
  • nume123
    nume123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try Carb Smart by Breyers, they have several low carb ice cream bars that I love to snack on. Also Blue Bunny has a selection of low carb ice cream snacks too, called sweet freedom. The net carbs for both of these is pretty low, I love ice cream & chocolate and this helps my cravings for it without destroying my calorie & carb count for the day! :)
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Why do you wish to not have starchy carbs in the evening?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese
    tuna

They are my go to's.
  • zeeeb
    Options
    kenny, simply because i eat too many carbs (i'm not a manic calorie counter, but i do know i eat too many carbs), and i am not prepared to cut carbs out all together, i just think it would be wiser to not eat them after my dinner. alot of people seem to be of the belief that eating too many carbs, i'll never get rid of my belly, which appears to be ringing true for me, i'm losing weight everywhere, but my tummy is just not going down. i reckon my legs and butt are smaller than i was pre-pregnancy, but that tummy is being very stubborn, and the more weight i lose, it (tummy) doesn't seem to be improving (especially now that i've lost alot of what was once a very ample boosom).
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Okay, if you wish. Just know that there is nothing magical about cutting carbs. You can lose weight just fine with them. Calories are important. If eating lots of carbs causes you to overeat calories, that is understandable. But cutting carbs in itself will make a negligible difference.

More likely, the reason you have not lost "tummy fat" is because this just may be the last to go for you - that doesn't mean you are doing anything wrong.

What does your exercise program look like and how big is your caloric deficit?
  • zeeeb
    Options
    kenny, my workouts go like this roughly

M: weights program 40 mins + cardio 20 mins
    T: Personal trainer (sometimes strength / cardio sometimes boxing (cardio)
    W: Spin / Cycle class
    T: 20 mins cardio then advanced yoga class
    F: 20 mins cardio then sculpt class

weekends I try to get out and walk, and if i get the opportunity i'll do another cycle class

Most weeks i go to the gym 5 days a week, if i can't go, i try to walk instead

Calories, i don't go crazy counting, but i roughly eat most of my exercise calories. It's certainly not an exact science, but i have continually lost weight for the last few months, every week, i'm dropping a bit (between 0.5kg and 1kg) so i figure i've got the calories about right.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    - Egg beaters
    - Whole natural almonds
    - Peanut butter
    - Protein pancakes: 2 egg whites, 1/2 scoop protein powder and water in blender (Cook like regular pancakes)
    - Greek yogurt with peanut butter or small amount of fruit
    - Protein smoothie
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    - Egg beaters
    - Whole natural almonds
    - Peanut butter
    - Protein pancakes: 2 egg whites, 1/2 scoop protein powder and water in blender (Cook like regular pancakes)
    - Greek yogurt with peanut butter or small amount of fruit
    - Protein smoothie

question about the protein pancakes, is that all thats in it???? what is the texture like??? how does it taste????
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised at the number of popcorn suggestions for a low carb snack, the popcorn I have is 24-26g of carbs per serving depending on the brand, that's a high carb snack to me. :\

When I want/need a low carb snack I go for string cheese, roasted edamame, some chicken breast that I dice then cover with a small amount of savory PB sauce (1.5 tbs of PB2, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and onion powder with just enough hot water added to make it a creamy sauce consistency), roasted unsalted almonds, egg whites, Brother All Natural freeze-dried fruit crisps (same nutrients as fruit but less carbs and sugar, the strawberry banana pack has a full banana and four strawberries worth in it for 10g carb and 6g sugar) or a glass of almond milk with some plain whey protein stirred in (I buy the unflavored straight powder in bulk so it pretty much just dissolves completely and doesn't taste like anything, I've even mixed it in just a glass of water before and drank it plain).

Greek yogurt is a good one if you like it, but it tastes like vomit to me unless it's mixed with a lot of other stuff that defeats the purpose of looking for low carb snacks. lol