What was your most stigmatizing experience/situation?

Options
What was for you the most stigmatizing experience or situation that you faced while being heavy/ overweight/ obese?
Like children laughing behind your back or people staring at you in a bathing suit,....

Replies

• Walt75
    Walt75 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I remember one time. I went out to eat with a friend and there was way too much food for the meal so I stopped eating when I got full. Immediatly the waitress AND the owner came over and was asking me if the meal is ok. i told him it was fine, I was full. He looked at me and thought that must be impossible a man my size and insisted I let him know what was wrong with the meal!
  • Kellee_76
    Kellee_76 Posts: 91
    Options
    Walking down the Santa Monica Promenade with an equal-sized girlfriend of mine and having some a**holes behind us laughing and saying something about going "whale watching." That hurt pretty bad.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I think it is just the treatment by strangers when I was fatter. I felt that I didn't get any customer service, and general politeness took a back seat because it was obvious people just saw me as fat and lazy and not worthy of general respect or courtesy.

I felt it back then and didn't know if it was because I was so down on myself and self confidence was so low.

But since I've lost weight, i seem to be treated so much more normally. people talk to me easier and seem to judge me less.

Im not sure if it was me and what kind of response I was commanding or if it is other people's judgements, but it does feel like I get treated alot nicer in general by strangers.

But I know my confidence is higher and I know I'm no where near as embarrassed and self conscious of myself as I was. I walk around with my head alot higher, and my disposition is alot cheerier, so it may be me as well.
  • MelissaE27
    MelissaE27 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    The one that stands out to me... is about 2.5 years ago.. I started back into the dating world.. took a lot for me because I was cheated on... I started the online dating thing...I was t alking to this guy who seemed to be sooo sweet... I had current pics up.. and I told him up front I was a bigger girl.. he told me I was so pretty... well we decided to meet so I told him what my car was... I called him after I arrived and told him I would meet him at the door.... well I get a text message as I was walking to t he door and it said *SOrry not my type*.... I just was in shock that someone could be that rude..... I cried all the way home... and to this day its hard for me to see anyone because of that fear......
  • laurasnyder411
    laurasnyder411 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    When I was walking down the street with my boyfriend at the time and some high school kids were hanging out. My boyfriend asked them if they like what they were staring at and the kid said "yeah, someone's gotta love the fat ones." He tried to fight them and I had to convince him that he would go to jail because they were underage. Also, after bars one night, my friend and I were out about town and this guy and his buddy came to hit on us. Before he got there his friend goes "Abort mission buddy...one's a cougar and the others' fat". I was the fat one. Hahahaha! Just gotta laugh it off because those guys were @$$holes.
  • SarahWrittenThin
    SarahWrittenThin Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    kids mooing at me as I walk home from the bus.

my neighbor calling me a fat then my friend telling me yeah fat with a ph and it made me feel better than he said yeah...no. just fat.

My dad oinking at me when I eat.

My dad taking my food and putting it on the floor with the dogs because "If your going to be a gross animal, you can eat with them too"

My mom and cousin always telling me "Oh honey you would be so pretty if you lost weight"

grocery shopping hearing a little girl go "Mommmm, that lady is BIIIIIIIIIIG"

On an online dating site I put up a picture of me with a friends horse and got a message "You're still cute...but damn girl you're almost as big as the horse!!!!! hahahahahahaha, not into girls all like that"

In highschool when I got my first boyfriend (who was also bigger) "Wow...it doesn't look right when two fat people are together...normally one is big and one is fat..."

Recently my boyfriend and I broke the bed... my fault supposedly lol...( the bf is a thin muscle man)

eh.. I guess thats enough, I have a million more its what my life is made of.