Tostadas at Tijuana Flats - 2784 calories?!!!

Options
porksiopao
porksiopao Posts: 77 Member
Went to lunch last week at Tijuana Flats and got the Tostadas. I went to their website (http://www.tijuanaflats.com/menu/tostadas) later to check out the nutritional info to log into the food tracker. The platter has 8 tostadas (picture in link), which really looks like half a taco, and there's really not a lot of toppings amount-wise. So I selected my tostada "configuration":

Fillings: Carnitas
Toppings: Black Olives, Salsa, Jalapeños, Diced Onions, Shredded Lettuce, Tomato, Cheese

Total came out to be 348 calories. Now here's the kicker: It says "Total servings: 8, *Nutrition facts are based on 1 serving" which means that 1 serving is 1 piece (as in the picture). 348 x 8 = 2784 calories?!!!

This doesn't seem right, they're telling me that this has more calories than TWO Quarter Pounder w/ Cheese value meals with Fries and Coke!

Replies

• cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    How was the meat prepared? Fried in lard or some kind of fat, grilled, or baked? My guess is it was fried. Plus the taco shells were probably fried.

I try to have a day a month where I can eat whatever so we can go to our local restaurants. We live in a little town with a 4way stop and if you blink you would not know you were here, so non of the local places have nutritional data.
  • lisapickering
    lisapickering Posts: 374
    Options
    Crazy!! But I believe it, the tortilla and cheese have alot of calories!
  • smbakke77
    smbakke77 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    That actually sounds right. I had researched a few restaurants and there are some very high calories in meals like that. Chili and cheese Nachos...2500 calories, etc. I was shocked!
  • mommacool
    mommacool Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    WOW that is crazy. I went to the site to see, because I almost couldn't believe it!. Canitas with the shell is 170... each. it says the shells are fried. :( Looks like they calculated a full ounce of cheese on each. That's about how many calories the cheese added. The other toppings were low cal. I hate when you order something that you think is not that bad, only to find out it is terrible. I try to check first. When in doubt I order only vegetables and low fat protein (seafood if possible, or chicken). Maybe a baked potato or plain rice. It is just not worth taking the chance I have decided.
  • debdptg
    debdptg Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have heard that eating out is one riskly option. I checked PF Chang's lunch bowls and realized they considered ONE lunch bowl as TWO servings. Ugh. Look before you go out to eat and be ready.
  • tobitude
    tobitude Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I go to Tijuana Flats but always check the website before I go and can easily stay within calories, you just have to watch out what you pick :).
  • itsgotsnuts
    itsgotsnuts Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It's the carnitas and cheese, dude. Sub chicken, and no cheese and you save 200 calories per serving. Still way too many calorie to eat alone. Maybe 1 chip. Haha This place is LOADED with calories.
  • porksiopao
    porksiopao Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Just hard to believe, but I guess the cheese and fried tortilla are the main culprits here. I would have been better off with a Quarter Pounder meal and be more full ;-).