Too much water? 5L today... help!

Options
taiyola
taiyola Posts: 964 Member
Since around 5am yesterday (Wednesday) morning (it's now 3am Thursday morning - yes, I'm going to bed asap lol), I have so far drank 4 litres of fluids. I just made another 1L bottle of squash. This is 19 glasses on my ticker, of which 18 are plain water or water with added 'squash' (fruit diluted drink to add to water to make it taste nicer).

Is this too much? I have the flu (I think it's that!) and have been sweating on and off throughout the day. I have had a high temperature the majority of the day, aches and pains etc, and have gone through periods of being mega hot & sweating, or being freezing cold and shivering! I also have a sore throat and was waking up numerous times last night because my throat was really dry, hurting and I couldn't swallow.

I heard about this guy running a marathon who drank loads and died from over-hydration or something, and have heard it can be bad to drink TOO much... help!

Replies

• taiyola
    Options
    I usually drink 2-3 litres a day.
  • Satya_Ayurveda
    Satya_Ayurveda Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hyponatremia is what you are talking about. It happens, but is really not that common in adults. It's not typically how much you drink, but how fast you drink the liquids. Usually also when someone is so dehydrated and they pound water, or perhaps iv fluids without the electrolytes to accompany it. Sounds like you have the flu, or a virus of some sort. Fluids is probably just what you need. I would even try to get some of those electrolytes on board and check in with your doctor if this keeps up. I used to be a healthcare professional (currently at home with my children)... but even so, you should be careful with any advice you receive on this website pertaining to medical stuff. I hope you feel better soon!
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    If youre sick it isnt harmful, and you are getting other nutrients, the only major risk you run if you arent eating, or arent eating properly is unbalancing your electrolytes, its rare, but you end up with severe flu-like sypmtoms (stomach pain and vomiting) when it happens
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    your sick? Drink up! the more the better! Make sure you are still urinating though! adding fruits would be a good idea tho too because then you are keeping some cell balance! good luck
  • taiyola
    Options
    Hyponatremia is what you are talking about. It happens, but is really not that common in adults. It's not typically how much you drink, but how fast you drink the liquids. Usually also when someone is so dehydrated and they pound water, or perhaps iv fluids without the electrolytes to accompany it. Sounds like you have the flu, or a virus of some sort. Fluids is probably just what you need. I would even try to get some of those electrolytes on board and check in with your doctor if this keeps up. I used to be a healthcare professional (currently at home with my children)... but even so, you should be careful with any advice you receive on this website pertaining to medical stuff. I hope you feel better soon!

I love asking people who've experience questions :) so thanks for answering! I tend to drink 1L through the day, then 2 during the evening and night. Maybe I should space it out a bit. I'll chill out, take some more Paracetamol & get to bed. :)
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
  • taiyola
    Options
    My diet's been poor today, had to go out (was so awful!) and didn't want to cook, so I've had junk today. Had lots of rest though, and water and vitamins and pills, so I'm hoping today may be slightly better than today as I have work Friday & Saturday, and a vocal coach lesson on Monday! Funnily enough I was ill the before my last vocal coach session, too... hmm!
  • taiyola
    Options

Hmm, as a kid I had low sodium and drank a lot... o.O