house work as exercise?

Options
Do any of you log house work as exercise and only when you are really scrubbing and cleaning or when you do any type of work? Would you log doing light laundry, dishes and cooking dinner?

Replies

• xMissy6x
    xMissy6x Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I find it too hard to guess, so personally i dont log it. I figure it as a bonus ;)
  • Nina_Crowson
    Nina_Crowson Posts: 136
    Options
    i log it, but only when im scrubbing, deep cleaning. you know those days where every room needs ot worked on and it takes a few hours. I do log those. I do cleaning, light moderate effort.
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I don't log normal everyday stuff but when I do big cleaning I log it.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I only log it when it is above and beyond daily/weekly house work...I figure if I gained all of this weight while keeping my house clean that it surely wasn't helping me at all!
  • brph26
    brph26 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I only log it if its an uninterrupted significant amount of time. For instance i clean my office once a week it takes about an hour and i always log that.
  • bellarox13
    bellarox13 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I don't log any of it. Even if I spring clean. I was doing it before I started losing weight so to me, it is just a normal everyday thing. Same as I don't count sex.

I only count things I didn't/don't normally do. Things like treadmill, exercise dvds, power walks etc.
  • christina_michelle
    Options
    YES, but only if you are at a SEDENTARY level of activity.
  • Tiffy11011
    Tiffy11011 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I don't log it, but it did factor into the beginning when it asked me about my lifestyle. I listed "active" because I clean houses for a living so it's normally 5-6 hours a day of heavy intense every room of 3-4 houses a day. I figure that gains me an active listing on lifestyle ;-) but I don't add it into my "exercise" because it's a normal thing for me not an added thing
  • VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    oh yes...it's quite a work out at times. I don't log what I do around the house each day but when it's a weekly cleaning time. After all it is burning a little calories. Especially for someone like me who doesn't exercise as much as a lot of people here.
  • brph26
    brph26 Posts: 207 Member
    Options

Totally agree with this too. I set myself as sedentary because i have a desk job and really was not working out at all the first few weeks of mfp. So anything that burns calories workout wise i count.
  • cjwolfjen
    cjwolfjen Posts: 323 Member
    Options

Totally agree with this too. I set myself as sedentary because i have a desk job and really was not working out at all the first few weeks of mfp. So anything that burns calories workout wise i count.

Ok, I don't work I am a stay at home mom of two babies. I put myself as Sedentary also because I figure that was best. So should I log my house work then? Also, should a stay at home mom be considered sedentary? I rest often, but I'm also busy from 6 am to 10 pm doing house work and chasing after my two babies.
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    i am currently a stay at home Mom of 4 (one toddler and 3 preteen girls). i set myself as lightly active, although i am likely just Active. i wouldn't log normal housework... that type of activity (burn) is figured in if you set yourself as active (or slightly active). since you are home with two babies, i would DEFINITELY change it to at least slightly active!
  • cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I have my activity level set as sedentary. I am a full time student and stay at home mom. There are days I never sit, and there are days I am a lazy couch potato.

I log housework that takes me 30 min or longer to do.
  • MiNiMoNkI
    MiNiMoNkI Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I always log "on my knees" hardcore hoovering sessions i no longer use the pipe, i always do it on my kness, its knackering. I also log housework when decorating, i,e sanding
  • rosiedoes
    rosiedoes Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    On a day when I hoover the whole house, I work up one hell of a sweat, so I'd probably record that. Nothing like wiping down the sink or dusting the bookcase, though.
  • minburke
    minburke Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I don't log any of it. Even if I spring clean. I was doing it before I started losing weight so to me, it is just a normal everyday thing. Same as I don't count sex.

I only count things I didn't/don't normally do. Things like treadmill, exercise dvds, power walks etc.

Same here, although I did search for Sex once just to see if it came up.. but it didn't.
  • PhoenixRising11
    PhoenixRising11 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    What do you guys who log it log it as? Does it have it on the list of exercises?
  • swebb1103
    swebb1103 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I log the once a week, deep cleaning sessions when I am scrubbing toilets and tubs and vacuuming both floors. The normal, day to day maintenance, I don't log. It comes up under cardio!
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options

I agree. It's way to easy to get into the habit of trying to count all the things you normally do and then wonder why nothing is changing. Counting the calories you already burn will not make you lose weight faster. I don't even count the hours I spend getting the kid in shape for boot camp as I was already doing it when I started.
  • joaniegray
    joaniegray Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have never counted it but today am doing 3 or 4 hours housework to help a friend who is moving - the calories burned are much higher than I expected - I can't imagine tracking this daily but I will in future if I do a big clean. Otherwise, it's just day to day living.

When we do our profiles, we are asked if we live a sedentary life or how much activity we do re our jobs/careers so I imagine that's where some of our daily calories needed are gathered?