Lemon Shortage!

Options
So, I went to the store today to buy some lemon juice. I had posted the other day about reading that consuming a small amount of acidic beverage with meals can help keep blood glucose levels from spiking. We had some lime juice here at the house, and I tried that for a couple days, and it seemed to make a difference!

Anyway, went today to get lemon juice at the store, and there's this sign about how there is a "world-wide lemon shortage" so they have a limited amount available and prices have increased. There was only 2 bottles on the shelf and the price was $2.99 for a bottle! WOW! I bought both bottles despite the price so I can continue my "experiment."

I had to come home and Google to see what was going on--apparently there was a freeze in California last year that made hurt the lemon crop and something about Spain's crop not being great either.

Anyway, there is a shortage of lemons! And it seems fairly severe. They said some stores simply can't get lemons or lemon juice at all.

So if you use and need it, better buy it when you find it!

Replies

• shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    So, I went to the store today to buy some lemon juice. I had posted the other day about reading that consuming a small amount of acidic beverage with meals can help keep blood glucose levels from spiking. We had some lime juice here at the house, and I tried that for a couple days, and it seemed to make a difference!

Anyway, went today to get lemon juice at the store, and there's this sign about how there is a "world-wide lemon shortage" so they have a limited amount available and prices have increased. There was only 2 bottles on the shelf and the price was $2.99 for a bottle! WOW! I bought both bottles despite the price so I can continue my "experiment."

I had to come home and Google to see what was going on--apparently there was a freeze in California last year that made hurt the lemon crop and something about Spain's crop not being great either.

Anyway, there is a shortage of lemons! And it seems fairly severe. They said some stores simply can't get lemons or lemon juice at all.

So if you use and need it, better buy it when you find it!
  • krystalmoore1986
    krystalmoore1986 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    We have a dollar tree by my house and if you have one check there. In the refrigerated section i saw two packs of the lime or lemon juice thats in the plastic bottle that looks like a lemon or lime, for a buck. I remmeber thinking 2/ 1$ is a steal!! I better stock up I like to treat myself to diet coke with lemon occasionally.:drinker:
  • LovelyLady1977
    Options
    Yeah, I knew there was something wrong. I work in the Commissary here on the Base and lemon juice hasn't been on the shelf for weeks now. It seems to be hard to locate around here. Customers are getting pretty heated...like we had anything to do with or can do anything about a lemon shortage!:grumble: :smile:
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options
    I saw that OJ is going to be nearly $6/gallon.

WOWOWOWOW! I won't be drinking that anytime soon.
  • Rebecca1234
    Options
    I read this yesterday about a pathogen in Florida citrus plants.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/26/science/26citrus.html?_r=1&ref=science&oref=slogin