how often to exercise

Options
I was running 7 days a week and now realize that was to much. I love running and I have decided to cut back. How often and how long should I run for and will I gain the weight back that I have lost. I was running for 55 minutes everyday some days it would be more. Any ideas?

Replies

• deuce3Degotrip
    Options
    I run for abt 60 minutes 4 times a week (M, W, F, Sat) and I only run Saturday bc thats when I meet up with my running group. That can be any where from 5 to 6 miles...depending on how hard I'm willing to push that day. I wouldn't go any longer than that bc you could be damaging your muscles by overuse if you do it for TOO long. I'd say 90 minutes max unless you are training for a race. Then alternate days where you train for speed vs training for distance...

Hope this helps!
  • str7kat
    str7kat Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I heard you're supposed to give your body a break. And that working doing cardio every other day is enough and during the days that you're off cardio, you're supposed to do some weights.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    2 days free of rough exercise is a good amount for me. You are still welcome to be 'actively resting' on those days. A long, slow walk, or a hike, or a mall wandering would be a great 'exercise' for the rest days.

The 55 mins sounds like a fine amount to run :) Don't overlook weight training!
  • joamarelo
    joamarelo Posts: 161
    Options
    I love to run too so i have the same problem.
    Instead of running do cycling, go swimming or yoga. Give your body a break at least twice a week. ;)
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I recommend cardio work 4-5 times a week no more than 45 minutes. You won't gain the weight back. In fact, you'll probably lose more because your body will have time to recover and build more muscle, thus increasing your metabolism.