Limiting sugar

Hi!
I have only been on here for about a week, but in that time I have noticed that I eat much more sugar than my limit, even though I am avoiding unhealthy sweets. This seems strange, because a glass of milk is half the limit in itself, and fruit seems to have a lot of sugar as well.

Does anyone else watch the sugar amounts? And if so, how do you restrict your sugar intake?:frown:

Replies

• Hi!
    I have only been on here for about a week, but in that time I have noticed that I eat much more sugar than my limit, even though I am avoiding unhealthy sweets. This seems strange, because a glass of milk is half the limit in itself, and fruit seems to have a lot of sugar as well.

Does anyone else watch the sugar amounts? And if so, how do you restrict your sugar intake?:frown:
  • Nevada
    Nevada Posts: 140 Member
    Good question. I have reached today's sugar target at 10AM with 1 cup nonfat milk, an apple, and a grapefruit. I am losing about 1 pound per week.

Found that USDA says 8% of our calories should be sugar.
    Here is the math:
    100g of granulated sugar is 387 calories (3.87 calories per gram).
    For my 1,750 daily calories, 8% is 160. Divide that by 3.87 gives 36, which is my sugar target in grams.

I far exceed that every day.
  • My rule of thumb is to try not to eat too much processed sugars. I'm all about natural sugars that are in fruit and veggies. No one ever got fat from binging on oranges!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    This happens to everyone who eats fruit and milk, even if they avoid processed sugar. I wouldn't sweat it, as BeesKnees said.

I don't even watch it. If you pay too close attention to eat nutrient, you will either become OCD or you will quit. If there is something you are lacking a lot of, many look into your diet, but otherwise, let it go.
  • bla115
    bla115 Posts: 206
    Good question. I have reached today's sugar target at 10AM with 1 cup nonfat milk, an apple, and a grapefruit. I am losing about 1 pound per week.

Here is the math:
    For my 1,750 daily calories, 8% is 160. Divide that by 3.87 gives 36, which is my sugar target in grams.

I'm new so I'm curious how you know what your sugar target is? Is this on your food count because I only have calories, fat, carbs and protein on mine. I'm still learning my way around the site so thanks for the help!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member

Here is the math:

I'm new so I'm curious how you know what your sugar target is? Is this on your food count because I only have calories, fat, carbs and protein on mine. I'm still learning my way around the site so thanks for the help!

When you are in Food Diary>scroll to the bottom:

There is a green button that says "View full report printable" if you click that it will show you all the nutrients entered for the food you have eaten on that day's diary.

You can also change your diary settings from your home page to track different categories than the default (which are Carbs / Fat / Protein) Change one to "Sugar" if you would rather track sugar.

I prefer the first method because you can print - or just go back and look at past diary days.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    My rule of thumb is to try not to eat too much processed sugars. I'm all about natural sugars that are in fruit and veggies. No one ever got fat from binging on oranges!

Actually, if you have ever watched that show about the brookhaven obesity clinic there is a guy there that thought the same thing and would eat oranges all day long, granted he ate a bunch of crap he shouldn't have to go along with the oranges, but needless to say he ended up being almost 1000 lbs.

Same as everything else, everything in moderation!!!