Time to Re-Engage in the Battle of the Bulge

Options
Hi Everyone!

I'm Lynn, 32 years old, from GA. I'm married to a fabulous man and have been for nearly 9 years. We have 3 dogs, but so far no children. That not-so-little fact is what has brought me here.

We've been trying to start a family for 7 1/2 years with no luck so far. Just over a year ago, we began seeing a Reproductive Endocrinologist to help us conceive and discovered a host of medical problems with me! After diagnoses of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, Hypothyroidism, Endometrial Hyperplasia and Sleep Apnea and the discovery of one of my fallopian tubes having been removed in a surgery to remove a large cyst from my ovary 4 years ago (the surgeon conveniently forgot to inform me of this), we have spent the last year attempting to gain a rung up on my body. During this time, all my concerns about my weight which I expressed to my RE were met with the answer "It's not of a concern right now". Fast forward to the present and we're ready to move on with treatment when the RE puts up the red light. No treatment until I lose weight. How much weight? Well, he refuses to give me a definite answer on this. So, I set my own goal of 170 lbs - still into the overweight BMI range for my height, but significantly better than my current weight of 273 lbs.

My RE is pushing for gastric bypass surgery, but I'm not comfortable with this route. Therefore, I am attempting to combine careful meal management, exercise and Adipex (Phenteramine - physician monitored) to achieve my goal weight. Any support and help you could offer me would be greatly appreciated!

I look forward to participating in this community and getting to know some of you better! Good luck on your weight loss journey!

Replies

• catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Hi Lynn,

Firstly welcome to MFP...you've made a good choice

I believe bariatric surgery has a place in weight loss but should not be the first serious thing to try...especially as you want children. Restrictive intake and pregnancy do not seem right at all so good on you for trying this route first.

You have only 4lbs more to lose than I did when I first started and as you can see i'm halfway there so you can do it and if you truly believe that you WILL do it. I would recommend changing your ticker to show your weight loss not how far you have to go...I thought being faced with 99lbs to go everythime i logged on would be too daunting....much nicer to see lbs lost. Maybe just my opinion tho.

Have a mooch around the forums and send requests to anyone you feel a connection with...same age.goals/interests etc. I'd advise including a line or 2 to say why you are sending a request, even if it is just a quick "hi, I see we both live in XXXX" more likely to get acceptances.

Good luck
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Hi There

Feel free to add me! I'm exactly the same weight as you and am eventually looking to get down to a healthy BMI (189lbs at 6'1" for me) but am for now, concerned with getting down to <230.

We can do this!!!!