SHIN SPLINTS???

Options
So, I hope no one thinks Im stupid but my friend told me today about shin splints. I had no idea what they were or why people get them. She said you can get them from running if your are heavy like me, and you have never really exercised before. I just started doing the couch to 5k thing and now Im worried I might get them, even tho im not really sure what they are!!!!!

Replies

• Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_splints

It's a pretty general term that's usually used for overworking the muscles around the shins. It really doesn't cause any permanent damage, but it can hurt like a b**** for a few days. Just make sure to stretch when you warm-up and cool-down and you should be alright.
  • new_view
    new_view Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I did c25k as well and for the first three weeks I had shin splints every time. I started doing some stretches that actually HIGHLY helped them and now I rarely get a pain at all.

Heres what I did:

1. Stand by a wall and prop your toe up against it facing forward, lean into it a bit and you will feel a stretch.

2. Either standing on the floor or on the edge of a stair feet about a foot apart just push up and stand on your tip toes and then back down to your heels. Do this about 15 times.

3. Balance on one foot for 1 minute, switch feet

4. Once your balancing is better do the same one foot balance but have someone to play catch with you, basically throwing the ball back and forth while you stand on one foot at a time.

It worked for me and I am up to the 25 minute run of c25k, never been a runner in my life.

Now I am more worried about glute exercises to get my endurance and ability a bit further :) You can do it!

Also shin splints are not some terrible thing to be afraid of, its just muscles you havent used that don't know what you want them to do.
  • lesliekae
    lesliekae Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I think that program eases you into running slowly enough that you won't have a problem with it. If you start to feel a tightness around the tibia (shin bone) that might be tender even to the touch then it's probably the cause. It's the most common of running related activities. There is a lot more you can read about it if you google it. You can wrap and tape the calf to give support if it becomes a problem.
  • Leslie2273
    Leslie2273 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    When you get pain in the lower front part of you legs which is the shin area (the muscle that runs next to the shin). I'm probably not explaining it right but I got them last week so I know how painful the can be. I've been doing research online and have found some great information not to mention some wonderfule advice from MFPers. There are several factors that can contribute to shin splints and for me it was poor running shoes, poor running form, not stretching enough, possibly too much too soon but I also overpronate.....so basically I'm the poster child for what NOT to do. lol

I can tell you that I have gotten great shoes, I am stretching (looking at online videos to make sure I am doing it right) and focusing on my form as I walk slowly while I recover. I took a casual stroll and just focused on my form and can't believe how sore my calf muscles are just from what little I did. Anyway, I'm rambling, feel free to send me a message or add me if you would like to know anything else but I wouldn't worry about getting them if you stretch and have good shoes.

Best of luck,

~Leslie smiley-sport033.gif
  • cfinley21
    cfinley21 Posts: 18
    Options
    Maybe my fear is coming from being misinformed! After reading about it, its not what I was told!
  • leasah
    leasah Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    When I started c25k I had the same experience, the only thing I have to add is that I do not think weight has a whole lot to do with it. I had a few vanity pounds to lose at best and I had shin splints every single time for what seemed like forever. I changed out my shoes (great info on runnersworld.com) and really concentrated on my form and it is rare I have that problem now.
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    When I took a walking class in college, we had to rock back on our heels and tap our toes to warm up to prevent shin splints. Someone on MFP suggests pointing your toes out and writing the alphabet with your toes to help also.
  • Hype
    Hype Posts: 349
    Options
    bump
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    The best way to reduce or eliminate pain in running is to use correct running technique and to land on your forefoot instead of your heel.

See http://www.barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/4BiomechanicsofFootStrike.html

From that website "We have found that even on hard surfaces (a steel force plate) runners who forefoot strike have impact forces that are 7 times lower than shod runners who heel strike."

If you have never run this way it will take a while to adjust as a whole new set of muscles and tendons will be put to work.
  • Hirondelle
    Hirondelle Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure it's a shin splint but my ankle really started hurting after a few days of C25K (week 2 day 2 I think). I haven't been running in years and I wasn't much of a runner in the first place, and my shoes sucked, that's probably the reason why I hurt myself. Now I can hardly walk. I pushed myself again too much too soon as I thought I was feeling better, and just made the problem worse. Does that qualify as shin splint? That's what my hubby says it is, but he isn't exactly an expert and it's more a heel/ankle thing than proper shin. Did anybody go threw this before? It kind of really sucks!
  • pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    as many others have said, get the right shoes and stretch! also, if you end up with shin splints (and I did when first starting back into working out again), don't be shy about pausing in the middle of a workout to do some extra stretching too! I also mix it up with lower impact workouts (cycling and elliptical) and strength training too!
  • betterthanmama
    betterthanmama Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have had shin splints from playing too much DDR and then having volleyball practice afterwards.

You will feel some sharp pain, and if you keep going too hard (in my case i couldn't get out of volleyball for shinsplints) they get worse. Don't worry too much about getting them, because you have to be really working hard before feeling the pain. If you do feel pain, slightly lower the amount or intensity just so you give your body some time to recover. You can keep working out with them, it wouldn't kill you.
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I had them in high school from Softball when I was really heavy. I felt like my legs were broken. I tooka break from some of the running and eased into it and they got better.