HELP!!! Quit smoking and trying to lose weight!

Options
cobylea
cobylea Posts: 194 Member
I have recently quit smoking...3 days recent. I quit to become healthier for myself and my son. The only problem is that I have also been struggling with my weight. I was on a pretty good routine of eating healthy and exercising until I put out my final cigarette. Now I'm trying to stay away from the refrigerator but catch myself snacking and it's already too late to stop. My energy has decreased and have to drag myself off the couch to workout and sometimes don't make it. I quit smoking to become a heather person but gaining weight and making poor food decisions in place of it isn't making me any better. I need to know how to stay quit and not replacing smoking with food. Please help me before I start smoking again to quit eating!:frown:

4393113.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Replies

• alicia826
    alicia826 Posts: 51
    Options
    Im quitting on sunday. I'm very interested in what people have to say for this! *BUMP*
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    make sure you are grabbing HEALTHY food when you do go in the fridge... FRUITS AND VEGGIES are your best bet! Everything in moderation!!!!
  • maletac
    maletac Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    you know what... 2 things

1) keep busy ... i mean come on we all know how this works if your not keeping busy working out till you crack then you are going to be eating... you are dealing with having an oral fixation :D

2) and if it doesnt work the electronic cig... they are amazing and thats how i quit smoking after 8 years of a pack and a half a day but quit with the Ecig
  • Sutton002
    Sutton002 Posts: 24
    Options
    Yay and welcome! I did it tooo! it has been 6 weeks! You can do it I chew gum and walk more! It gets easier every single day! Add me if you want to! I dream about smoking as I smoked for over 20 years and just threw them away 6 weeks ago! =) great job!
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I quit (a couple of times...) was a 1.5 pack a day smoker for 21 years. Quitting smoking was the hardest thing I have ever done, but sooo worth the effort. WATER lots of WATER!! I used the patch and the hottest cinnamon gum I could find for that oral fixation some smokers have. It has been 7 years, with a few relapses the longest lasting 3 weeks, and a cancer treatment (not smoking related but lets be real, smoking sure didnt help by contributing to my lifestyle!!).
    I subscribe to quit.net and when I feel really 'weak' I log in. I also get emails once a week to remind me that all the suffering of the first few days (It gets better, I promise!!!)is worth it. You are far healthier overweight than you are smoking cigarettes. Be easy on yourself about your diet and try to make healthier food choices if you do snack. I found it helped too to find a list of how your body heals itself as soon as 24 hours after stopping smoking.
    You can do it!! I believe in you and your ability to find a balance
  • Terry5902
    Terry5902 Posts: 7
    Options
    It is really hard to quit smoking for some people. I quit over a year ago and I gained 40 lbs and I finally one day decided that was enough. I hated to even look at myself in a mirror. So I found this app on my phone and now I am down 15 lbs and I am really proud of myself. My husband is also on this program and he is down 25 lbs. You just have to have alot of support from friends and family. I had all of that plus the people at work have been really supportive. Just keep it up and think of the money you will save to do fun things with. I got my hair cut and dyed and I got my nails done. I have never got my nails done so this was my treat to me.
  • Terry5902
    Terry5902 Posts: 7
    Options
    I told my doctor one day that I needed help with the weight I had gained. He said I would rather have you chubby then smoking. It is better health wise for you. He is really proud of me also for the weight that I am determined to lose.
  • Merrymel
    Merrymel Posts: 15
    Options
    Take a deep breathe! Let it out......and take another one...Repeat often!
    Hi I quit one year, one week, and 5 days ago. After smoking a pack a day for 35 years. I gained 15 pounds and now I am on MFP to loose the weight. The BEST ADVISE I EVER GOT WAS TO TAKE A SIP OF WATER EVERYTIME I WANTED TO TAKE A PUFF!. I didn't think it was possible, but it is. I am living proof. You can do it. Also, go to whyquit.com.....it saved my life. I would wake in the middle of the night wanting a damn nasty cigarette. I keep my water bottle on my nightstand. I quit cold turkey and SO CAN YOU! Sometimes I still want a nasty cigarette, but instead I chew gum, suck on cinnammon disc, or eat ice. i have been exercising for 10 years and never could I walk a lap, or swim a lap without being out of breathe and having heart palpatations....Now,, I can swim 30-45 minutes, walk 3 miles, or dance without no palpatations. Just be mindful of your calorie intake and you will succeed. Goodluck and dont forget WHYQUIT.COM.........Also, I have saved over $1500 since I quit... You are so worth it.....Never take another puff.......

Merrymel
  • cobylea
    cobylea Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouraging words and support! I'm on day 4 and going strong, and already have a list of things I want to do to reward myself since I'll have a bit of extra money. I just need to get over the bump in the road (that bump being my fridge and trying to replace smoking with it) Once I get over it, it'll be a new healthy journey for myself and my son!
  • MrsJen
    MrsJen Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 14.5 months ago. My advice is not to replace the cigarette at all. Not even with healthy foods. Instead take a moment to have an honest thought about the cigarette and your craving. If you think about how bad the cigarette is and how bad it taste and cost etc etc, along with understanding after 3 days 90% of the nicotine is actually out of your system.

This may seem silly, but I had a calendar and every mooring I put a smiley face on the day before for not smoking along with e day number. For some reason this helped a lot. I really enjoyed putting that number on the calendar!!!
  • CINDYB37
    CINDYB37 Posts: 2
    Options
    I was wondering if any one could give me some tips on how to quit smoking and loose weight at the same time. I have dieting since May 1st and so far have lost 23lbs. I am trying to get healthy so I also want to quit smoking but Im afraid I will gain back the weight I have lost so far and I am also scared to quit because cigarettes have been my emotional crutch for 20 some odd years. If any one has some advice to share I would greatly appreciate it.
  • strawberry1969
    strawberry1969 Posts: 1,476 Member
    Options
    :i stopped smoking over 4 years ago now but in that time put on over 40lbs,for me it was too difficult to do the both at the same time but if you can have healthy things there for you to grab when you feel like something and chew gum let us know how you are doing:smile:
  • PhoenixRising17
    PhoenixRising17 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I too am trying to quit smoking...a few weeks ago I had cut back significantly but then fell off the wagon...but I REALLY REALLY want to stay motivated on this healthy lifestyle kick...I still haven't gotten it down 100% but everyday I can see myself being the person I want to be and working little by little towards my goals...each day I cheat a lil less and learn a little more about how to eat healthier and now Im ready to start exercising and I know the smoking is going to effect me...i walked up 3 flights of stairs at work today and couldn't hardly breathe when I got to the top and I know its due to my weight AND the smoking...I will be 26 years old tomorrow...I do not want to let these unhealthy habits hurt me anymore...i would like us to all help us smokers/ex-smokers who are also trying to lose weight stay motivated!!!
  • MindiKat
    MindiKat Posts: 49
    Options
    I quit almost 4 months ago now. I just put them down and walked away. The first 6 weeks were during a super stressful time - co-worker on maternity leave, son filling out all his scholarship apps and pending decisions, hubby work hours cut way back but there is no GOOD time to quit and so one evening when it didn't taste good I threw and I had only one left I threw it out.

I think the biggest things that helped me were #1 - I exercised the first 6 weeks like a nutball. Every single night I walked or worked out for an hour no excuses. That became my addiction. Unfortunately, since then life has interferred and I need to get back on that particular horse. If I got really mad, I took a walk. If I wanted a smoke, I took a walk. I took a LOT of walks that first 6 weeks.

#2- Don't cheat, not even once. If you have to cheat on your calories once in a while - say give yourself an extra treat during a tense moment - then do it but not on your cigarettes. Don't steal a puff or smoke or even smoke a pack while out at the bar with your friends. Just don't. In fact, don't go to a bar or out with smoker friends for the first few weeks until your worst cravings are past. I had a graduation party... lots of smokers... didn't bother me in the least this time, but it would have a month or two ago for sure. On the other hand, don't take this as an excuse to eat non-stop either. Whoever said don't replace smoking with eating was totally right. Chew sugar-free gum. Eat some celery.

#3 - Reward yourself. What will 3 months of smoking save you? Maybe that's a new exercise or mountain bike to go towards your fitness goals or a gym membership. Reward yourself AND work towards your weight goals at the same time. Maybe a new pair of those fancy "look at my butt" shoes need to be included in your self incentive package when you've quit for 6 weeks and lost 5 lbs?

#4 - Don't be afraid to vent. I was so angry that some genius had the nerve to put an Easter bunny that pooped jelly beans on the TV every 2 minutes because it made me crave them all the time. Thank God that movie is out of theatres now.

#5 - Remember why you're doing this and just keep on. One day at a time, sometimes one hour or minute at time, is all we can do.

Best of luck to everyone!
  • MindiKat
    MindiKat Posts: 49
    Options
    And if anyone needs a quit smoking cheerleader - feel free to friend me!