Weight issues...and getting motivated

Options
Hey all,

I decided last month to start exercising to lose weight. I am heavy and have heart and stomach health problems.
So I decided I would walk 3 days a week for 30 minutes...and increase the length of my walks each week.
I did real good the first week. But then I lost my motivation....I have only walked like, once a week since my decision 4 weeks ago.
Any advice on how to keep myself going??

Thanks,

Deanna

Replies

• eeelastic9
    eeelastic9 Posts: 24
    Options
    I have the same problem with actually getting up to do my workout, but I've found that reminding yourself how good you'll feel afterwards is always a motivator. Also, setting non-food goals is a great motivation. If I get my workout in, I get to watch a television show, take a nap, shower, read... whatever sounds good that day. At the end of the day, I find it most helpful to try to remember *why* it is I'm working out in the first place. Hope that helps!
  • marisol7649
    marisol7649 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Try to go clothes shopping. It motivated me to start going. I went last week on Monday and I felt terrible, next day I started working out and watching what I eat. I have been working out everyday. I went to try some clothes on last Friday four days after my terrible shopping day and I was surprise to see that I lost one dress size and that has motivated even me more. I am so happy I am not buying any clothes but I see my progress there.
    Good luck and Peace
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i have a very hard time staying motivated too and i cant seem to go more than a week or two "on the wagon" lol
    . a friend suggested post it notes around the house with positive messages of encouragement. i have one on the fridge for now, and will be writing more tonight and putting them up tomorrow. when my mom was losing weight, she took a pic of herself at her heaviest and made a bunch of copies and hung the around the house where she was most likely to sit and be lazy. so there was on at the computer desk, one at the kitchen table, one by her bed, and one hanging on the fridge. i may try that too. i also try to remind myself that im not just doing this for me...im doing it for my children
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I started with walking, and had to really FIGHT to stay motivated. The reason.... walking is BORING (at least to me). What I did to stay on track? I joined a well equipped local gym, and started using the recumbent bike. Then I moved on to the upright bike. And lately the elliptical AND the bike for 30 mins each. Cardio is VERY important, but boring walking may not be the ticket for you. You might want to check if your local rec center has any zumba classes, spin classes, etc.... something that will interest you. Keep trying different cardio options til you find something that you enjoy. Then you won't lose interest. And even then, mix it up a bit. Do yoga one day, zumba another.... diversity will keep you working out.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Honestly, there's no magic wand to wave that will make you healthy and fit (don't we all wish!) You just have to decide to do it. Decide that YOU are worth taking the time to lose a little weight, eat a little healthier, get your muscles moving...Keep thinking about your health and your goals and just get out there...start with once a week, there's nothing wrong with starting in small increments...then add a day...then maybe another day...just keep building on it. Plan it. Put your walking shoes in front of the front door. Put it on your calendar. (that's what I started doing at first, 3 months ago...hard to miss if it's there in black Sharpie, right?)

Some people do well if they have a partner or buddy--can your husband walk with you sometimes? Then you would get to spend time together doing something healthy for both of you!

Good luck!
  • zoombie_bear
    zoombie_bear Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    take pictures of yourself, even the bad ones to motivate you.

Just think of being meds free and symptom free.
    I had repeted gastritis and bad reflux, used to take meds before my journey and now I'm meds and symptom free, oh yeah

That and I've lost 42lbs and counting...

I feel good, great eating and exercising...
    Motivation come with how much you love yourself. I had to switch myself in me, myself and I mode.
    I'm a mom of 2boys I take good care of my boys and never took time in me really, so the wings have changed, love my boys, but love yourself first. healthy eating and exercising.

Go with music in your i-pod, change routes, map out your routes with runkeeper.com and see your progress in the distance and time you are doing, it will motivation you to go even more longer...

I want to wish you the very best

a question: who's important?
  • Mush_L
    Mush_L Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am only starting to exercise too, and although I struggle still, I find the only thig that works for me is to (pardon the cliche), JUST DO IT.
    What I mean by that is, I have stopped thinking about what it would take to pull my butt off the couch, and to not let my mind go there. If the thought crosses my mind "hey, I should go for a walk", I just get up and go. I don't let my mind tell me all the reasons I don't want to. Once I'm out there, there is no turning back.

Good luck on your journey!
  • DeannaMEdwards
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the help and advice. It is still hard, but I am trying. I wish you all the best in your goal achievements!