BMI and individuals

Options
I've just checked the BMI calculator in tools, and according to that, if I eventually reach my target weight of 100kg (220lb) I will still be in the obese range.

To get to that point, I will need to lose 65.5kg (144lb), which is 40% of my body weight. When I was 18 I weighed 220lb, I had a 36" waist and a 44" chest, and I looked pretty good in my opinion. So how does this class as obese? I know that BMI is a bit of a one-size-fits-all approach, but I wonder if anyone else has been in a position where their BMI figure seems way off in relation to their size and appearance.

Of course it could just be that I do need to lose more weight that I currently think, but could it be that I really am 'big boned'?

Discuss...

Cheers
Pete

Replies

• talysshade
    talysshade Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in being big boned.. and i am certain that you'll still fall in the overweight category.. so does my boyfriend who's like 220 pounds right now and wants to lose about 70 pounds. He'll still be obese, but for the great change he and you will already be a great deal healthier. If you get to a weight where you feel comfortable, great! Don't beat yourself up over the BMI. Bmi also doesn't work for people with a lot of muscles, because muscles way a lot more than fat.

Keep an eye on it, but focus on what you feel comfortable about .
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    BMI doesn't really matter, it's body fat that counts! Many super fit body builders would be classed as obese according to BMI.
  • Heidi1987
    Heidi1987 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I don't really like the BMI thing. according to that, even when i was a healthy size and in my opinion weight (160lb) i was still at the top end of over weight. I'm also 5ft7, so was a uk size 12, which felt and looked healthy. I tend to just ignore the BMI