Did you know that about fruit?

Options
This is a part from article I've read in a paper. Didnt know some stuff about fruit, so I though I'd share.

'Different people over-eat different things,' he says. 'But the people who eat fruit to excess are often weight-conscious. I've seen patients who can't understand their obesity because they eat healthily, then it turns out they are eating way too much fruit or drinking fruit smoothies all day - glugging down 300 calories in a couple of minutes.'
And it's not about lack of self-control. Fruit is packed with fructose (fruit sugar) and this doesn't make you feel full.
When we eat sugar, our body releases the hormone insulin, which tells the brain we've had enough to eat, explains dietician Ursula Arens of the British Dietetic Association.
'High insulin levels dampen the appetite, but fructose doesn't trigger this insulin response, so the brain doesn't get the message that you are full,' she says.
Essentially, when we eat fruit we bypass this internal 'stop button', which could explain why some of us can absent-mindedly nibble away at slice after slice of melon or munch through a large bunch of grapes.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1256509/Eating-fruit-make-fat.html#ixzz1M8WADwQp

Replies

• alucard835
    alucard835 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you eat a protein with your fruit like a little peanut butter or some yogurt, it will help equalize the blood sugar spike and you won't feel hungry as quickly.
  • sd101483
    sd101483 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Wow, I didn't know that - very interesting. Now I'm paranoid as I eat my bowl of fruit for breakfast!
  • patsyanne
    patsyanne Posts: 111
    Options
    I know that too much of anything isnt good for you, but grapes are my downfall cause they are so easy to grab one, then one more and in the end I eat too many of them...can do the same with watermelon but seem to have grapes around more often. Guess I need to be more careful, could be the reason for slow weigh loss!!
  • wendix
    wendix Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    yeh i've always been told its great to snack on fruit if you're just a little bored or something not really 'hungry' but if you're genuinly hungry then combine fruit with yogurt or honey
  • Silky815
    Silky815 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for sharing this with us. I too, like to grab some grapes, but I do measure out all of my fruits. Even if I have a banana, I only eat a small portion of it. It is so hard to understand, what we can eat, and what we shouldn't...and what the nutritional value is of it all. I wish everyone luck on their food choices.
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Yep! I think the WHO definition of 5 a day should be more clear! 2 fruit and 3 veg is recommended because of all the sugar content in fruit!

Also I usually put a bit of protein powder in my smoothie as that helps with sugar absorption.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    eating Fruit rather than having it juiced is better however as the fibre helps slow down the absorption of the sugar (note, slows.....), especially if you eat the skin.

I confess though, I woud be hesitant to believe anything I read in the Daily Mail........ :wink:
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I confess though, I woud be hesitant to believe anything I read in the Daily Mail........ :wink:

Yup.

They say Fructose doesn't cause you to feel full. What about fruits that are high in fiber, such as strawberries and raspberries, which IS supposed to make you feel full?

Don't believe everything you read on the internet, let alone one from a trashy UK tabloid....
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Yup.

They say Fructose doesn't cause you to feel full. What about fruits that are high in fiber, such as strawberries and raspberries, which IS supposed to make you feel full?

Don't believe everything you read on the internet, let alone one from a trashy UK tabloid....

Exactly.

Whole fruit (as opposed to fruit juice which you should keep a close eye on) contains sucrose and fructose. The quantities depend on the type of fruit and how ripe they are etc.

Fructose needs to be converted by the body to be used as glucose in a different way to sucrose, meaning a lower insulin response. In addition, fruit contains fibre which further slows down rates of digestion. Result? Lower insulin response. Now, if you pair fruit with something else (for example you eat it before or after a meal, with a protein shake, with oats and so) what happens? Digestion rate increases. Result? An even lower insulin response.

However, what tends to be overlooked in these types of discussion is the effect that fructose has on liver glycogen - the first port of call for energy required by the body. Fructose is the preferred source for topping up liver glycogen. What happens when liver glycogen reaches capacity? A message is sent to the brain indicating "Full. Stop eating." In other words it is good for satiety.

How can you make the above work to your advantage? Well, if you are in a liver glycogen depleted state (usually in the morning) you can use the fructose contained in fruit to top it up. Then during the day excess nutrient intake will be shuttled to the muscle glycogen stores helping with muscle building, especially if you are doing weights. Sweeeeeet.

There are people on this very website who, in the absence of being insulin resistant, are scared of eating fruit. Fruit! For the love of...
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Huh.. For me this is absolutely not true. When I was in Lebanon for five months I dropped a lot a weight because fruit was EVERYWHERE. Just in our yard we grew four varieties of plum, pear, persimmon, cactus pear, orange, lemon, clementine, peach, apple, cantaloupe, watermelon, figs and grapes and I ate tons of it everyday fresh from the tree/vine and I didn't count/measure anything. oh and I chased it all down with Almonds and cashews! I lost quite a bit of weight without even trying so clearly it wasn't the fruit making me fat all these years... it was my sad love affair with processed foods.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    When I was in Lebanon for five months I dropped a lot a weight because fruit was EVERYWHERE.

Blasphemy. One does not lose weight eating fruit dontchya know?

I think the fruit debate is a classic example of how confusing and bewildering the weight loss area can be. No wonder people simply do not know which way to turn.

On one hand there is the message that fruit is fructose, fructose is sugar and sugar is baaaaad and makes you fat because it causes high insulin spikes and crashes prompting over eating and fat storage.

On the other hand you have the message portrayed in this article which is just the opposite : that fruit is fructose and fructose does NOT cause high insulin spikes which then errrrr, prompts over eating and fat storage.

DoubleFacePalm.jpg

I think if you have found a way that works for you, no matter what it is and as long as you stay safe, just DO it. Forget all the conflicting info, forget "gurus" and endless internet verbiage. Eat fruit or not. If it works for you then more power to you.