Gaining zize with resistance bands

Options
has anyone here used bodylastics or another good band to gain size like you would with free weights? I used to lift pretty heavy but due to time and money constraints I am looking into the bodylastics set and was wondering. Not looking to be a body builder but don't want to just look like I do bodyweight exercises either! In theory I should be able to since resistance is resistance no matter where it comes from but can not find any examples anywhere. I might just make it an experiment with a blog and monthy pic and measurement updates.
Stories would be helpful. Thanks

Replies

• Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of bodylastics, but there are a number of resistance bands available to use, with different levels of resistance. I have bands from Iron Woody, which you can order through Amazon, but they tend to be a little pricey. Another alternative I found is on a powerlifting website called Elite FTS, which sells a wide range of bands in different lengths and resistance levels, and they're relatively inexpensive.

The bands are a decent form of resistance, but based on my experience, nothing tops a set of free weights. Bands do provide resistance, but it's not constant like free weights. For example, on a squat using a barbell, the weight of the barbell is constant throughout the movement- the bar weighs the same at the top of the movement as it does at the bottom. However, the resistance in bands is variable- using the same squat as an example, the resistance provided by the band at the bottom of the squat is low, and as you raise yourself out of the squat, the resistance becomes greater the higher you get. As a result, your muscles are only facing maximum resistance in a portion of the movement.

Now, I don't want to say that using bands is bad- I add them occasionally to several exercises to mix up my routines and shock my muscles with a new stimulus. The bands are also great for developing explosive power at the top of certain movements. I also have taken my bands with me when traveling, which allows me a portable form of resistance I can have with me in the event I don't have access to a gym, or at the very least one worth a damn.

As for looking like a bodybuilder, unless you EAT like one, you won't. Our body composition, whether it's fat or lean, skinny or muscular is typically a product of two things: diet and genetics. Believe me, if it was easy to look like a bodybuilder, more people would, believe me.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    If you can find bands that offer enough resistance to challenge your muscles, you should be able to add a little size. Most of the bands that I've seen are of the 3, 5, or 8 pounds of resistance variety, which won't do you much good, but you might be able to find stronger bands online or at large sporting goods stores. What about kettle balls? I haven't tried them myself, but they're supposed to be great for building muscle. And if you're on a budget or have space restrictions they're fairly affordable and don't take up much space.
  • brianlocal3
    brianlocal3 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I don't need to look like a bodybuilder anymore. In the service I was very into my BB routines and dieting. Heck I even competed in the show me naturals in 2002 but after I broke my back in 05 I gave that up. Now I am in decent shape and can pass pt tests no prob just want to get a little bigger. Looking for functional strength.
    I do have a 20 kettle ball that I use for compound explosives. Thank y'all for the replies