exercise in the morning?

Options
2»

Replies

• brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    A trainer once told me to exercise first thing as you burn off your fat stores opposed to the food you've just eaten. I don't know if that's true or not. You need to eat your exercise calories regardless.

Not necessarily true. The fuel your body uses is determined by your heart rate. If you keep your heart rate between 55-70% of your maximum heart rate (220-your age), your body will use fat as it's main source of fuel. If your heart rate jumps to 71-85% of your max, you're burning carbohydrates. If you don't have any carbohydrates, it will burn muscle. Not good.

If you do work out in the morning, your best bet is some toast with peanut butter, a banana, or even 1/2 of a Clif bar. Your liver is depleted of glycogen in the morning, so you've got to give your body a little energy to get your muscles working.

I second this. You need some quick fuel so that you don't burn muscle. You want to get the most out of the workout, right?
  • lucky723
    lucky723 Posts: 52
    Options
    Working out in the mourning too studies have shown you will burn more calories through out the day.