shirataki noodles

I just started using shirataki noodles in place of pasta potatoes or any fattening side dish my husband sets his heart on that night. I was wondering if there was any one on here who uses this and has seen results with it. If you don't know what they are, they are asian noodles made out of yam flour from the konjac plant they are anywhere from 0 to 40 calories per bag i use the ones also made with tofu. they have an odd texture kind of springy but is definitely a lot better than what i was eating. i realized the same 20 calories in shirataki would be 420 calories in real pasta. So this has been my diet for the past week or so i eat this to replace either one meal a day. Does anyone have opinons on this food? ps i added the food facts in the database

Replies

• hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    I just started using shirataki noodles in place of pasta potatoes or any fattening side dish my husband sets his heart on that night. I was wondering if there was any one on here who uses this and has seen results with it. If you don't know what they are, they are asian noodles made out of yam flour from the konjac plant they are anywhere from 0 to 40 calories per bag i use the ones also made with tofu. they have an odd texture kind of springy but is definitely a lot better than what i was eating. i realized the same 20 calories in shirataki would be 420 calories in real pasta. So this has been my diet for the past week or so i eat this to replace either one meal a day. Does anyone have opinons on this food? ps i added the food facts in the database
  • katiechakos
    katiechakos Posts: 348 Member
    This sounds really great. Where do you find shirataki noodles???
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    I got curious, here's a link to some more specific info.

It looks like I'm going to the asian market tomorrow.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/products/p/shiratakinoodle.htm

:flowerforyou:
  • Nevada
    Nevada Posts: 140 Member
    Here is another article. There are some precautions to be aware of.
    http://altmedicine.about.com/od/popularhealthdiets/f/shirataki.htm
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    the first time i bought them i just bought 2 bags online and then i got them from "Whole Foods Market" for 1.49 a bag for the Tofu kind there is some people who have have upset stomachs and related stuff but i read that you need to make sure you drink a lot of water with them because it is mostly made of fiber and can be harder to digest if you are not used to it.. When i first tried the ones i bought online my stomach did feel queasy (which made me look it up), but since switching to the tofu and drinking water *don't know which fixed it* everythings been fine. They really are great, because you can put any kind of sauce on them that you would put on pasta. you can check out www.hungry-girl.com they rave about the stuff. www.house-foods.com is the ones that i am currently using
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    I've used this product. You find it at asian markets, it's usually by the tofu in the refrigerated section. It tastes better if you boil it in some water, it will take some of the fishy-like smell out. Then I usually heat up some chicken broth, add white meat chicken pieces and vegetables to the broth, then once the meat is cooked add the noodles into the broth until it's heated and serve. It makes a nice asian chicken noodle soup. Very low in fat and high in protein. This was dinner once or twice a week, I've lost about 60 pounds total. Very low in carbs and no fat. You will need to get use to the texture, but it works very well in the soup.