Losing it because I am gaining

Options
So I went to the gym this morning and I have now offically GAINED 11 lbs since starting MFP. I almost cried but sucked it in and just kept going. I am trying to reason it out and get myself together but I have to tell you - I just feel so teary and depressed. I just dont understand what is going on.

I log in my cal, I eat 4-5 small meals a day, I work out 5-6 days a week, mix it up, 3 days of weights. I am eating between 1400-1600 cal. I am 5'6 and now 150. I was at 139 at one point. Has this ever happened to anyone else here?? I know there are plateaus, but gaining that much?? (and for anyone thinking it- nope not pregnant)

Maybe I need to get a nutritionist and personal trainer on board but I really just cannot afford it. I would love any help or advice at all.

Replies

• mlillie
    mlillie Posts: 302
    Options
    So I went to the gym this morning and I have now offically GAINED 11 lbs since starting MFP. I almost cried but sucked it in and just kept going. I am trying to reason it out and get myself together but I have to tell you - I just feel so teary and depressed. I just dont understand what is going on.

I log in my cal, I eat 4-5 small meals a day, I work out 5-6 days a week, mix it up, 3 days of weights. I am eating between 1400-1600 cal. I am 5'6 and now 150. I was at 139 at one point. Has this ever happened to anyone else here?? I know there are plateaus, but gaining that much?? (and for anyone thinking it- nope not pregnant)

Maybe I need to get a nutritionist and personal trainer on board but I really just cannot afford it. I would love any help or advice at all.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Need more info--

what is your BMR--

are you eating your exercise calories?

is the weight gain sudden or overtime?

are you retaining fluid?

What is the healthy weight for your size?

What is your BMI?
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    are you logging EVERYTHING you eat??? drinks, condiments, ect????
    are you eating your exercise calories????
    have you tried lowering your calories????

wow im not sure what could be going wrong??? Hopefully Banks will come on today and give you some better answers than i have....

sorry im not more helpful:frown:
    jackie
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,696 Member
    Options
    I am also gaining and it is very frustrating. You may not be eating enough. I think that's what's happening to me, so I bumped up my calories today. If you are eating 1400 calories, but then burning 500 calories and not eating your burned calories then essentially you are only eating 900 calories. Maybe you already know this. I hope someone can help you. I will be checking your post. There are a couple of other ladies on here that are also having problems with not losing and/or gaining. Hang in there! We're here for you!:flowerforyou:
  • shorerider
    Options
    Just thought I'd add here--given your height and weight currently, you are within a healthy BMI already. It is possible that your body does not not to lose any weight but simply tone what you have?
  • sdjurek
    sdjurek Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Is it water? Is it that time of the month? Don't get discourged!!
    Also, if you've never been a lifter prior to this- you could be gaining muscle which weighs more than fat. Can you go by how your pants fit for a little while?
  • mlillie
    mlillie Posts: 302
    Options
    I really dont think I am trying to get down to a crazy small size at all. I just want to fit back into my clothes and not grow out of the ones I have that are larger. I know that some people on here try to get down really small and dont eat much, but that really isnt me.

I would be ok if I was just hovering at a plateau but i am gaining which concerns me.
    YepI log everything I eat. I havent tried lowering my calories. I am eating my exercise cal and using a HRM.

BMR- 1450 (that was at 148- I refuse to enter the 150 weight of today)
    Weight gain has started in the last 2 months, Id say.

I feel very heavy right now for my body size. It doesnt feel like me or feel good at all. I am in the upper of a my BMI but as we all know our bodies and what feels right on them. I dont think I have a certain weight in my head that I am striving towards but gaining isnt what I am after either.

I dont eat fast food, I cook almost all my own meals, I just dont know. I have never logged in cal like this though- maybe I am just used to eating a lot less cal and my body isnt used to eating more.....

A healthy lifestyle is part of my life so there isnt anywhere to "give up" to- I will always exercise and eat well. That is just how i live but man, this feeling of getting bigger and bigger is just getting me down.

thanks for all your posts- I really appreciate it. I dont really talk about my weigth with anyone here so no one knows my state of mind right now.
  • veracruz
    veracruz Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I would suggest seeing your doctor. A sudden gain in weight COULD point to a medical condition. Better to be safe than sorry, anyways. A couple of simple blood tests could rule out a lot. Sounds like you're doing everything you should be doing and more!! Best wishes~
  • shorerider
    Options
    Ok-first, there's no reason you should be gaining eating the calories you are.

So, it must be something else. Either a medical condition (have you checked with a doc?) or you are retaining fluid or something.

Also, it is still possible that you are at the weight your body "needs" to be at--as I said, you are in your healthy range now--and that is after your weight gain. When you weighed 139, you were right at a good healthy size for your height.

Have you checked your body frame size and then looked to see what would be a healthy size for your frame?

Finally, and don't take this wrong because I am older than you--but you are getting older. And sometimes our bodies change as we age. Your body could be making adjustments and it might not want to be a lighter weight right now.

Lastly, if your BMR is 1450 and you are eating between 1400-1600 and that INCLUDES your exercise calories, you are NOT EATING enough. You would require 1740 calories a day at a sedentary lifestyle to maintain your calories. Keep in mind, BMR is if would take to maintain your weight if you were in a coma, ok?

Times 1450 by 1.2 for a sedantary lifestyle (more if you are active) and that gives you 1740.

So, you're looking at 1740 to just maintain IF you have a sedentary lifestyle--factor in the amount of exercise you are doing, and you're not eating enough.

I know you probably don't want to hear it but you need to eat more. You may very well have put your body into the mode where it is starved for fuel and is refusing to let go of anything you eat because it is simply trying to keep you going.
  • shkaki
    shkaki Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    one thought: are you using the same scale? gym scales can be very off because so many people are on and off of them in a day...did you weight at the same time of the day? there can be so many things with weight that effect what the number says.

do your clothes feel like they are tighter than before, because if you've gained 11lbs of fat you'd be able to tell when you put your clothes on.. If its water weight or problems with the scale then clothes wont feel much different.

I would also suggest taking measurements of bust, waist, and hips, (like if you were fitting for a dress) and track progress that way. If you have a muscular build its going to be very hard to see that weight just dropping off!! If you have been a person who works out regularly and eats a healthy diet, the scale can be very deceiving. I am a little taller than you (6') but i've been a gym rat since i was 14 (i'm 27 now), and a lot of times people would guess that I weight much less than I actually do because of my muscle. When youve got a lot of muscle those things sure can hold onto water, and make my weight fluctuate almost 5lbs on any given day.

those are just some thoughts that come to mind...I truly hope you can find your solution! most of all try to feel good about all of the positive things you are doing. !! have a great friday!!!:wink:
  • Lavendersunday
    Lavendersunday Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Mlillie we are the same height, I weigh a few lbs. more than you and have the exact same type schedule. My weight has moved up and down within 5 lbs since January! :embarassed:

My entire body has totally morphed from head to toe :heart: :huh: into being composed of much more lean muscle than I have ever had before. Like you, I eat 4-6 very healthy small meals too.

We are in the same boat...but I may be a little older than you...soon to be 49. I know that I am doing things right 'cause when I look at my body I see a much healthier and toned me.

In order to jump start getting rid of this hard to lose old ab fat covering my toned abs I am gonna do the 30 day shred starting Sept. 1 with the others on that thread. If that doesn't work...then...I will try something else. Don't lose it...know that you are NOT alone!!!

Jillian Michaels 30 day Shred...here I come!!!!!!! :wink:

~Namaste :flowerforyou:

~Mi
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to hear of your predicament Melissa. Hang in there. I go to the doctor and get a complete physical to see if there is some underlying problem first. If not, then maybe try to eat a little more. I have re-started this week with more calories and I still find myself hungry. I am trying to eat more but it is hard. I will let you next week how it goes for my weigh in.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing yourself at the same time each day and using the same scale? I've noticed up to a 5 pound difference when I use a different scale. It can be frustrating. Also, what were your eating habits like before? I know that a lot of us have had problems with crash diets (ie- starving ourselves) and so your body really grabs onto those extra calories you're taking in and stores them as fat (in anticipation for another bout with starvation) I don't know if this is the case with you, but if it sounds familiar, you just need to perservere and keep going, eventually your body will realize this is a forever change and there will be no more deprivation. Another thing could be that you are piling on muscle mass but still burning fat. If you're working out hardcore I'd lean towards this. Try taking measurments and not just weighing yourself, Measurements are sometimes a more accurate way to monitor fat loss. Good luck :flowerforyou: You can do it!
  • sheristeele
    Options
    Have you discussed blood work wth your doctor? Could be a problem with your thyroid, and in the case of excercise, it could speed up whatever problems you have with your thyroid. It may be nothing but muscle gain, or something else. But I would still consider getting a physical done at your doctor's office just to be sure.
  • mamakitty
    mamakitty Posts: 249
    Options
    I know how you feel. At my weight 6 months ago, I wanted to lose weight. Now all I want is to be back at that weight. I was more toned. I don't understand why my body is fighting me. I am like you. I really try to watch. I have the occasional bad days. I am faithful in my exercise. My jeans are too tight and I don't look good in my clothes. I am discouraged as well.
    I am going to be in the 30 day shred with other exercise. I have nothing to lose, except weight. I know I am getting older and my body is changing. But why is it waging war against me.
    We will get through this with will power, persistence and the help of MFP.

Good luck. Keep checking in.

MK
  • JennyGetsFit
    JennyGetsFit Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I stepped on my scale today 3 times.
    Each time I got different results.

Then, I put a 5 pound dumbbell on it once or twice trying to adjust it, and depending where I placed it, the results were different.

:grumble:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options

Then, I put a 5 pound dumbbell on it once or twice trying to adjust it, and depending where I placed it, the results were different.

My scale is like that too. Also if I lean to the side or forward at all the reading changes. lol, makes it hard to lean forward to read the numbers!
  • JennyGetsFit
    JennyGetsFit Posts: 263 Member
    Options

My scale is like that too. Also if I lean to the side or forward at all the reading changes. lol, makes it hard to lean forward to read the numbers!

Our scales are sooo fired!
    :laugh:
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    I just discovered this. It helps you figure out your happy weight and what your ideal weight range is. I understand what you mean about the BMI and how you feel heavy for your weight.

http://www.self.com/fitness/nutrition/calculators/happyWeight

Why this formula works
    Height and frame size
    Your height is used to calculate your weight at a body-mass index of 22, which is in the middle of the healthy range, so it's a good place to start. (You should always aim to keep your BMI under 25.) But there are many different factors that can contribute to your happy weight, including frame size.

Do you have an obese sibling or parent?
    This makes you two to three times more likely to be overweight.

Although women begin to lose 1/3 to 1/2 pound of muscle each year and gain at least that much in body fat as they age, it's possible to prevent some of this weight gain by exercising and eating right.

Do you have children?
    Pregnancy results in a 4- to 7-pound weight gain, on average, according to a study in The Journal of the American Medical Association.

How often do you exercise and weight train?
    The muscle you build by strength training increases your metabolic rate, so you'll burn more calories.

Recently quit smoking?
    Most quitters gain weight, but the health benefits are well worth it.

Do you allow yourself a treat now and then?
    "Occasionally indulging can be healthy," says Shiri Morgan, R.D., a dietitian at the UCLA Diabetes Gonda Center in Los Angeles. You'll feel happier if you cut yourself some slack.
  • cre13
    cre13 Posts: 68
    Options
    I just started this about 10 days ago so I really can't offer any advice but some of things folks above have said sounds really helpful. Hang in there and don't give up! :flowerforyou:

-Chirleen

dont_give_up.jpg