Lean Body Mass question...

Options
MzBug
MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
I played guinea pig at the local college this morning. I was measured by 5 students to calculate body fat and such. They told me that I had a Lean Body Mass of 157 pounds. Yes I know my body fat % too, but don't wanna put that down... Anyway, I had a goal weight in mind of 150. Does the LBM of 157 mean that my informal goal of 150 is too low? 150 is the high end of my BMI range. I know...BMI is bad etc etc etc...

Replies

• princesslmc2
    princesslmc2 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Hello. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will answer in more detail, but I believe the answer is that no, 150 should be attainable. It will depend on a few things. You didn't mention your current weight. The higher it is now, the more likely you'll be able to get to that goal. We all do lose some lean body mass as we lose the fat. (The purpose behind doing strength training while losing weight is to help you lose as little muscle mass as possible while you are in a caloric deficit.)

If you don't get a better answer here, you may want to talk with your doctor on your next visit. Or, if you have the resources, you could find a dietitian to explain it in detail.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Hello. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will answer in more detail, but I believe the answer is that no, 150 should be attainable. It will depend on a few things. You didn't mention your current weight. The higher it is now, the more likely you'll be able to get to that goal. We all do lose some lean body mass as we lose the fat. (The purpose behind doing strength training while losing weight is to help you lose as little muscle mass as possible while you are in a caloric deficit.)

If you don't get a better answer here, you may want to talk with your doctor on your next visit. Or, if you have the resources, you could find a dietitian to explain it in detail.

Tree has it spot on.