What do you think the most effective exercise is?

Options
fteale
fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
I was always told running and swimming were the most effective forms of exercise for burning calories, as they both use almost every muscle in the body.

I find running far more tiring than rowing, but I am prepared to believe it burns less.

So what do you find the most effective form of exercise to be?

Replies

• Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Without question, squats. It's not called the King Of All Exercises for nothing. They work every muscle in your legs, as well as your abs, lower back and posterior chain- in fact it hits over 200 muscles in the body at once. This causes a greater increase in overall muscle development, which will in turn boost your metabolism and burn more fat.
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    The one you can keep doing and not give up on.:)

I like krav maga, personally.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    If I were to pick just one it would be swimming b/c not only does it use more of your muscles (your upper body isn't being worked very much during running) it is NO resistance while running is the WORST or hardest on your body.

I am seriously looking into buying that portable swim system to put into my in-laws pool soon to really have fun https://www.aquaveeonline.com/store/index.php?cPath=1 . I swam 7 days a week my last semester in University and loved it but since gradating (6 yrs ago) community pools ALL suck b/c everyone is sllllllllooooowwwwwwwwww! Even is designated fast lanes it's slow and lame and full of usually older people. 50 is not old age people, stop floating!!!! Ugh!
  • AdGalicia
    AdGalicia Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I definately think anything cardio is the way to go, for example spinning or step aerobics
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Without question, squats. It's not called the King Of All Exercises for nothing. They work every muscle in your legs, as well as your abs, lower back and posterior chain- in fact it hits over 200 muscles in the body at once. This causes a greater increase in overall muscle development, which will in turn boost your metabolism and burn more fat.

Doing 30+ minutes of squats however would be boring as heck though and therefore most people would lose interest.

Good to know though, I didn't so thanks for the info.

If I start doing squats while waiting for the train in the morning for 10+ minutes will I look like a total freak? HA!
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I think that's personal choice, but I would say its something you enjoy doing most (or hate least LOL) and can commit to doing regularly. That being said, you should probably do more than one thing to not get bored. For me, I find that swimming works every muscle and makes me feel like I got a good workout, however I also use an elliptical, a stationary bike, a rowing machine, and walking.
  • MELOZZA
    MELOZZA Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Running is by far the best calorie burner per hour, it also tones the whole body. steady running is best for burning fat if you go to fast you just use up the glycogen in the muscles so aim for time not speed.swimming is good if you have an injury but time wise it will take a lot longer to burn the same calories as running, as you use smaller muscle groups. so put on your trainers open the front door and go for a run??
  • jen0105
    jen0105 Posts: 5
    Options
    I actually prefer running, especially outside! There is nothing like running with the wind hitting your face and surround by nature. But its not for everyone. Do what you find is fun and not so much an exercise. Something that you look forward to doing not dreading.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Heavy squats... absolutely no question about it. You work every muscle in your body (if you hit parallel or below.)
  • fteale
    Options
    Running is by far the best calorie burner per hour, it also tones the whole body. steady running is best for burning fat if you go to fast you just use up the glycogen in the muscles so aim for time not speed.swimming is good if you have an injury but time wise it will take a lot longer to burn the same calories as running, as you use smaller muscle groups. so put on your trainers open the front door and go for a run??

Running is my exercise of choice at the moment, I hate hate hate hate swimming, so that's not going to happen. I burn about 800 cals an hour running.
  • fteale
    Options
    Heavy squats... absolutely no question about it. You work every muscle in your body (if you hit parallel or below.)

I do a lot of squats in my circuits classes, but I have to ask, how do they exercise your arms? Or do you mean squats with weights? We do them straight, without weights. I don't find them that effective.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options

Doing 30+ minutes of squats however would be boring as heck though and therefore most people would lose interest.

If I start doing squats while waiting for the train in the morning for 10+ minutes will I look like a total freak? HA!

But the great thing about squats is that you don't need (or want) to do 30+ minutes of squats. 5 sets of 5 plus two warm up sets 3 times a week is all you need. One work out can be done in about 7-8 minutes, depending on how long your rest is between each set.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options

I do a lot of squats in my circuits classes, but I have to ask, how do they exercise your arms? Or do you mean squats with weights? We do them straight, without weights. I don't find them that effective.

We are talking about with weight. Add weight, you'll find them very effective.
  • End6ame
    Options

5 sets of 5 reps of heavy squats will take you every bit of 15 minutes (incl. rest between sets.) and you will be doing more work (physics definition) than 30 minutes of running/swimming etc...
  • jesser80
    jesser80 Posts: 4
    Options
    The calories burnt will be determined by the effort you expend at each.
    Running works the best for me but I can concede that perhaps with more practice at swimming, I'd do just as well there once I didn't have to take a short rest every few laps.

Here's a great article from LiveStrong about this topic: http://www.livestrong.com/article/421905-which-exercise-burns-the-most-calories-running-swimming-or-walking/
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options

Squats don't "work" your arms, per se. But one effect of them is that they promote the secretion of more growth hormone, which results in an increase in overall muscular development. So, even if you spend little to no time doing arm exercises, the increased growth hormone will affect their overall size, although this effect will not be as great if you are doing arm exercises.

I don't like bodyweight squats because there simply isn't enough resistance to promote growth. They're more of a aerobic or muscular endurance exercise as opposed to a pure strength training one.
  • poptastic
    poptastic Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I agree with the squats camp, if you do them with (heavy) weights you will really feel it.

I also like high intensity interval training, because I get bored being in the gym for too long. A quick weights workout followed by HIIT and I'm ready collapse - and can do that in my lunchbreak :-)
  • fteale
    Options
    No one has yet expanded on rowing. It is cardio and heavy weight at the same time, and exercises your upper and lower body, and abs.
  • End6ame
    Options

Put the bar low, below the bone at the top of your shoulder-blades and on your back muscles – NOT on your spine. Your arms stabilize the bar (biceps, triceps, forearms) and contract isometricly, but do not take all of the weight. Your pecs are extended. Your upper back supports the weight, your lower back stabilizes your torso from the rear and your abs stabilize your torso from the front. Your quads do the heavy lifting over the top 75% of the lift, in the lower portion (parallel and below) your hams and gluts take over. Your calves contract isometricly through the entire lift and your adductors/abductors keep your knees in position during the lift.
  • snowflakelaia
    snowflakelaia Posts: 214
    Options
    Running, planks and squats for me.

Although I do LOVE stretches!!! they make me feel extremely good, as a great finish to my workout, doing something without too much effort at which I am quite good.

^_^