USDA food pyramid is wrong!

Options
freerange
freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
http://www.lowcarb.ca/articlesb/article337.html

Walter C. Willett, M.D., one of the world's most distinguished experts in nutrition, reveals the danger behind this deceptive resource and provides a new pyramid that offers huge potential for longer, and better, living.

Replies

• Furrytreats
    Furrytreats Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I agree completely. Unfortunately I think a lot of studies by experts are skewed by politics and tailored for interest groups.
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    love it :)
  • OnionCookie
    OnionCookie Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this.
  • vraesgame
    vraesgame Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I agree completely. Unfortunately I think a lot of studies by experts are skewed by politics and tailored for interest groups.

Agree!
  • rosec005
    rosec005 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    This was written in 2001...the food pyramid has since been re-done to depict a lot of these issues. However, I seriously disagree with the calcium thing.
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Yup! I found this out a couple months ago! We do not need all those carbs & grains in a single day. Way to many for me!
  • NYGoddess77
    NYGoddess77 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    http://www.lowcarb.ca/articlesb/article337.html

Walter C. Willett, M.D., one of the world's most distinguished experts in nutrition, reveals the danger behind this deceptive resource and provides a new pyramid that offers huge potential for longer, and better, living.

Yes the USDA Food Pyramid is WRONG. The high carb and and high fiber diets are terrible on digestion (can lead to poor slow digestion and leaky gut syndrome) The link Below is the best nutrition for mankind. Awesome for metabolic disorders, kidney disease, fat loss, weight maintenance and muscle building :-)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-succeed-with-the-primal-blueprint/
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Bump to read links later :)
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I once heard the old food pyramid recommended diet equivalent to that of a fattening hog diet.
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Love It!
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    In case you are interested, here is Walter Willett's very own version of the food pyramid. It looks pretty healthy to me. The base is exercise and weight control. The major foods should be fruits and vegetables, healthy fats, and whole grains. Red meats, refined grains, and sugary treats should be eaten sparingly.

RhjJa.jpg
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    In case you are interested, here is Walter Willett's very own version of the food pyramid.

What a load of rubbish. Alcohol in moderation? You must be joking....

Looks sensible to me. Clever bloke that Walter Willett.
  • ladyviola
    ladyviola Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Good article. His comments about milk make me glad I don't drink it. Anyway I always thought it was strange for the USDA to recommend we eat more servings of bread and pasta than servings of vegetables and fruits.
  • NanRunsOnPaleo
    NanRunsOnPaleo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    ::like::
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Of course it's wrong. More than half the funding $$ for the USDA/FDA come from corn, grain, and soy producers because the govt. is the largest BUYER of the corn, grain and soy. Why do you think there is so much HFCS in so many products? Why do you think corn, wheat and soy has found its way into the majority of processed foods and pet foods? The FDA allows it because they pay the paychecks. The govt. buys the stuff at premium prices, lets it sit around in storage until it is almost beyond consumability and then sells it to food and pet food manufacturers (to use as filler and a cheap source of protein 'enhancement'), to gasoline companies (ethanol) or to an overseas buyer.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Good article. His comments about milk make me glad I don't drink it. Anyway I always thought it was strange for the USDA to recommend we eat more servings of bread and pasta than servings of vegetables and fruits.

Its not strange at all.............it follows the money trail. It is there to see, plain and simple.
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    Of course it's wrong. More than half the funding $$ for the USDA/FDA come from corn, grain, and soy producers because the govt. is the largest BUYER of the corn, grain and soy. Why do you think there is so much HFCS in so many products? Why do you think corn, wheat and soy has found its way into the majority of processed foods and pet foods? The FDA allows it because they pay the paychecks. The govt. buys the stuff at premium prices, lets it sit around in storage until it is almost beyond consumability and then sells it to food and pet food manufacturers (to use as filler and a cheap source of protein 'enhancement'), to gasoline companies (ethanol) or to an overseas buyer.

you hit the nail right on the head :)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    In case you are interested, here is Walter Willett's very own version of the food pyramid. It looks pretty healthy to me. The base is exercise and weight control. The major foods should be fruits and vegetables, healthy fats, and whole grains. Red meats, refined grains, and sugary treats should be eaten sparingly.

RhjJa.jpg

Love it!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    This is MY food pyramid:

Picture3.png
  • NYGoddess77
    NYGoddess77 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    This is MY food pyramid:

Picture3.png