all you runners and joggers

Options
2»

Replies

• mtntrailrunner
    Options
    as a new runner your ankles are probably weak and running is aggravating them. there are two main things you can do. you can cut back on your mileage and progress at a slower rate OR you can put your feet/ankles in an ice bath after each run to reduce inflammation.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    You'll have a lot of different pains in your legs and hips as you train longer and harder, but they usually go away over time. Keep counting your calories, losing the weight, and achieving your weight-loss goals, and you'll be doing marathons in a year of two.
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    " then look in your area for a HS rubber track, that might help your ankle and have you considered running barefoot." Great advise

I've done couch to 5k, working on a bridge to 8k and have been running for almost 1 year.
    I found, personally, that the surface I was running on had far more to do with my injuries then my shoes did. This is personally speaking!! I have run in $179 and discounted $69 shoes. Change up your surface, avoid concrete if possible, try packed dirt or trails. The barefoot suggestion is great too, humans have run for a millenium without footwear!! Good Luck!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm currently running in a pair of FILAs that retailed for $65 but were discounted to $17.99 at Ross, and a pair of Nikes that were originally $80 that I got for about $30 at Kohl's. Shop the sales.

I haven't been fitted (yet) but I know my feet. I have high arches, so as long as they're well supported, I'm a happy camper. Sadly, this means that as much as I love the look of Chuck Taylors, I can't even wear them for walking without ended up with really achy feet. :sad:
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the pointers and advice. I have been using a paved trail at the local county park. It is just over a mile which really works for the C25K training. Two years ago I was able to run (playing and chasing friends) with out any problem so I am not sure what it is. Since i am such a slow jogger right now (a fast walking pace, at best) I am landing on my heel and pushing off with my toe, maybe that is my problem, I need to learn how to run on my toes.
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I understand about budgets, but you need to protect your feet and ankles the best way you can. I have a suggestion that might help and might save you some $.

If you go to runnersworld.com and search for "pronated feet" you will get about 200 articles. There are articles about wetting your feet and making tracks on concrete to see how your feet move. There are articles about looking at the wear on the soles of the shoes you currently run in to see how your feet are. Once you know if you overpronate, underpronate or are neutral you will learn what to look for in a shoe. Then you will be a savvy shopper at a discount shoe store, WalMart, online or clearance aisles at department stores to find a pair of shoes that you can afford.

The right insole can make a bad shoe better. The problem is that a good insole will probably be more than $10. I would take a look at the available insoles looking for arch support and heel cups-might be worth a try.
  • b00b0084
    Options
    It isnt a matter of budget. I lived in Domestic Violence shelters for 9 months and recently moved from Arizona to Ohio to live with my dad and I have no job and no income. Even to be able to afford a 10 dollar pair of shoes is a huge challenge. My sons schools in Arizona gave him shoes and clothes for Christmas. I feel like **** because my life and my sons life are like this, but it is what it is right now.
    I was walking in the kitchen and just happened to look down at me feet and my right foot does tend to roll in every few steps.
  • mtntrailrunner
    Options
    Thank you for all the pointers and advice. I have been using a paved trail at the local county park. It is just over a mile which really works for the C25K training. Two years ago I was able to run (playing and chasing friends) with out any problem so I am not sure what it is. Since i am such a slow jogger right now (a fast walking pace, at best) I am landing on my heel and pushing off with my toe, maybe that is my problem, I need to learn how to run on my toes.
    forget the running on your toes idea. that's for really skinny people and even then it's hard to do.
  • b00b0084
    Options
    forget the running on your toes idea. that's for really skinny people and even then it's hard to do.
    i will forget that all together then lol