Avocados

Options
wewon
wewon Posts: 838 Member
Does anyone have any ideas on what recipes (other than guacamole) to do with avocados?

I've only eaten them raw and in a dip/salsa, but I would like to try something new.

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    so good with smoked salmon!
  • My3Rayz
    My3Rayz Posts: 373
    Options
    I use them on sandwiches and turkey burgers. Better than cheese :)
  • krbaugh1
    krbaugh1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I like to make a side salad. Dice up some avocados and a fresh tomato, put in a bowl. Add some lime juice, salt, pepper and some cilantro if you have some. It make a great side salad. You can dice it smaller to put over fish or on a taco.
  • Manda1987
    Manda1987 Posts: 207
    Options
    My fiancé discovered the other day that they make an excellent portable dip for tortilla chips.

Cut avocado in half, use it like a bowl and scoop it out!

I love eating them in salads, sandwiches or wraps. They spread really nicely, too.
  • BlissfulYoga
    BlissfulYoga Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I posted this on my blog the other day.
    http://blissfulyogajourney.blogspot.com/2011/05/adobo-seasoned-avocado-corn.html
    I had it as a side, actually...but you can use as a topping or in sandwiches and wraps or whatever :)
  • rngreen
    rngreen Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I use them to make California chicken. Grill your chicken breast, then top it with a slice of tomato, slice of avocado, and then a slice of reduced fat swiss cheese. Bake in the oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly. So good!
  • BlissfulYoga
    BlissfulYoga Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Also...have you tried Jason Mraz's Raw Chocomole Recipe??
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I make a citrus and black bean salad with avocado in it.

1 can black beans
    1 orange, peeled and diced
    1 grapefruit, peeled and diced
    1/4 red onion, diced
    1 avocado, diced
    1/4 cup cilantro
    1 tbsp olive oil
    juice from one lime
    dash of pepper

Whisk the olive oil, lime juice, and pepper together. Set aside. Combine all other ingredients in a bowl. Pour olive oil lime juice mixture over top. Mix well. Chill in fridge for 30 minutes. Eat and enjoy! :drinker:
  • thefreemans28
    thefreemans28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to eat them (other than guacamole) is on a burger, in a wrap, in a salad, or raw with some pita bread.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    They are very nice sliced in a sandwich with alfalfa shoots, or mixed with cottage cheese on toast or in a baked potato.
  • FatUncleRob
    FatUncleRob Posts: 341
    Options
    Mashed with a little salt and pepper on hot toast. Great breakfast food! :smile:
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I love avacados on my turkey sandwhiches & chicken burgers but i also make a salad with them that is really good & really healthy.

Fill a plate full of fresh spinach, add some thinly sliced red onions, half a mango cut up into bite sized pieces (frozen or canned pieces could be used out of season) , half an avacado sliced into small pieces, 1 baked chicken breast chopped into bite sized pieces & then topped with lite house balsamic vinegarette dressing. Yummy!
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    This is really simple, but delish. Slice them and have them on a turkey sandwich. Very tasty.
  • islandgirleialoha
    Options
    :wink: I got this recipe from a great youtube guru, Irisvlogging! Dice one whole tomato, one avocado, add some salsa and honey mustard. Mix well and eat immediately! This is a great refreshing salad for lunch and a great way to eat avocados!
  • ndmckeown
    ndmckeown Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Just take out the stone, and fill with a low fat Prawn cocktail. It's delicious.
  • VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Cut up in an omelet, on a grilled cheese sandwich. They actually can be good in a warm food like that.
  • wewon
    Options
    Wow! Thanks!

I posted this thread, left for about 10 minutes and had 16 replies.

I guess that avocado is more versatile than I've given it credit for!
  • wewon
    Options
    Cut up in an omelet, on a grilled cheese sandwich. They actually can be good in a warm food like that.

Hmmm.

I'm liking the omelette idea, but adding some onion, garlic and goat cheese to the mix.
  • ♥BETHANY♥
    Options
    so my husband makes a guacamole with the avacado that can be used on sooooo many thing because its so delicious! BTW I LOVE HAMBURGERS WITH AVACADO :)

avacado (SMASHED)
    green onion (CHOPPED)
    tomatoe (CHOPPED)
    (SLAT AND PEPPER TO TASTE)
    salt
    pepper
  • vlaura
    vlaura Posts: 93
    Options
    Avocado and feta cheese sandwich ;)