Tomatoes

Options
wewon
wewon Posts: 838 Member
Okay an idea from the last thread since so many people had such interesting ideas for avocados.

What can you guys think to do with tomatoes (any variety)?

Replies

• VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I add fresh tomatoes to many cooked recipes like stir fry, spaghetti sauce, soups and more. They have a wonderful flavor.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Diced-up with diced cucumber, onion, cilantro. Add some lemon juice or light balsamic vinegar/dressing. Good stuff.
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I like to make a fresh pico with onion, jalapeno, garlic, cilantro, a little salt.

Or put them on a grilled cheese sandwich... stuff them with tuna fish...
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    My favorite: tomato sandwich. Just whole wheat bread (tastes way better that white), a touch of mayo, and a ripe tomato sliced onto it!

Spaghetti sauce is another fave! You can make your own with canned stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and ground beef or turkey, and some good italian seasoning (search recipe websites for one that you like). If you make your own, you can keep the amount of added sugar found in commercial sauces at a minimum.
  • Last_15
    Last_15 Posts: 129
    Options
    Dice them up with some green onion and raw green peppers, Raw salsa rocks:love:
  • Last_15
    Last_15 Posts: 129
    Options
    My favorite: tomato sandwich. Just whole wheat bread (tastes way better that white), a touch of mayo, and a ripe tomato sliced onto it!
    Love these too!
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I love to dice a tomato, cucumber, bell pepper, vidalia sweet onion, half a jar of banana peppers with juice, salt and pepper.
  • squeaktones
    squeaktones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    tomatos! love them. i buy cherry tomatos for salads and snacks, just wash and pop in your mouth. so goood. big slicing tomatos for sandwiches, wraps and sliced with a bit of sea salt for a snack. mid sided roma ones for salads and snacks as well. i tried growing some last year in containers but the weather here is just too odd the last couple of years. they didn't do well. everytime they got big enough to eat. bugs got them. i like to cook with them too. i like to put yukon gold potatos on to boil and sautee some green and red bell pepper, onion and tomato to them. add some sea salt or mrs dash. so good.
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    bite sized chunks of tomato, cucumber, tossed with fresh ground pepper, bit of salt, and some good balsamic vinegar. Maybe toss in a bit of crumbled feta. Or just sliced with salt and pepper. yum! (i looooove tomatoes, though!)
  • VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Just though of a sandwich my daughter and I like that we put together. I call it "basil cuke matoe". It's on whole grain bread with a thin spread of mayonaisse, sliced tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, fresh basil leaves, onion powder or fresh onion if you like. You can add a touch of salt unless you're avoiding sodium.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Broiled tomatoes are out of this world!

Sprinkle halves with a mixture of parmesan, seasoned bread crumbs, bit of olive oil, dijon mustard, cayenne pepper, and possibly a bit of chopped basil. Watch 'em like a hawk under the broiler to be sure they don't burn.
  • ♥BETHANY♥
    Options
    i LOVE THE WAY MY MOTHER IN LAW MAKES DICED TOMATOES WITH FRESH COOKED GREEN CHILES AND ONION AND THAT IS A TOPPING TO ALOT OF FOOD WE EAT!
  • Angiebug1969
    Angiebug1969 Posts: 152
    Options
    Dice them up with some green onion and raw green peppers, Raw salsa rocks:love:

My family loves raw, fresh salsa SO MUCH... I have to make it at least once a week!!

I add (everything diced, by the way)

Cherry/Grape size tomatoes
    Bell Peppers (any color... I prefer green, red & yellow)
    Green Onion
    Fresh Cilantro
    Fresh minced jalapenos or serranos if I have them
    Juice from 1 large lime
    (toss in a can of Rotel Tomatoes & Green Chilis)
    Siracha Chili Sauce - to taste
    Salt - to taste