wine anyone?

Options
13»

Replies

• Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Moscato is about the only kind of wine I drink!

Hy-vee near me sells a Bricco Riella Moscato d'Asti (sweet sparkling) wine, it is sooo good.

Trader Joes White Zin (the Charles Shaw brand) is actually good too. :)

All the good wines are sweet, though, so I haven't had any yet on MFP. I'll plan a glass in for dessert eventually.
  • JujiBean
    JujiBean Posts: 187
    Options
    If you want low carb, your best bet is either Sauvignon Blanc or chardonnay for white, or merlot for red. Oyster Bay and Monkey Bay are both reasonably priced Sauvignon Blancs. I usually buy a bottle of one of those to take to people's houses. Most people who drink wine really like them.
  • jeannas
    jeannas Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Now I want a glass of wine!

Bump!
  • MommaToFour
    MommaToFour Posts: 106
    Options
    Moscato is my favorite...Olive Garden has bottles of Castello del Poggio Moscato which is absolutely amazing...sells for around $23.00.
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    I swear I'm not trying to sound like a snob (though I'm sure I will!) but I am horrified at the suggestions of Arbor Mist and Boone's Farm! Those are more wine coolers than actual wines. In my opinion, white zin is actually more of a wine cooler to me too.

It really depends on what you're looking for and what you like. Wines run the gamut in taste so it's hard to make a suggestion without first knowing what you're looking for. If you are looking for sweet, I will echo the suggestion of Chateau St. Michele Riesling. Another good one is Fessler's Gerwurztraminer. Those are the two wines I reach for during the summer months. For a crisper white, try a sauvignon blanc. I don't have a particular brand that really stands out right now. If you're looking for a decent and fairly-priced red, try the Yellowtail Shiraz.

Whatever you do, stay away from chardonnay as your first wine. Chardonnay is truly an acquired taste.
  • barbacasec
    barbacasec Posts: 106
    Options
    I love the Yellow Tail Shiraz as I have an issue with the Sulfites in Wine and other mixed drinks (ie: mikes hard lemonade and wine coolers etc) (migranes). This one seems to have the least amt of added sulifites- some wines have added suflites and some have more than others -

However I do love me a glass of Pinot Nior as well!

good luck and happy tasting! thats how I found ones that I liked... just bought a few different ones and gave it a whirl....
  • kimbera68
    kimbera68 Posts: 10
    Options
    Can't go wrong with a nice Pinot Noir.

My favorite. Thankfully I live an hour from Pinot country :smile:

ceelovejay...I was thinking the same thing. If someone wants to start drinking wine to learn about wine, none of those should be options. Good suggestions (except I have a problem with St. Michele in general seeing them buy up our good local Washington and Oregon wineries like Erath and the quality go down the drain).

Also there are some very good rose's out there that might be a good place to start. But even though white zin can technically be a rose as has been posted here, it shouldn't be confused with the other rose's out there that might be a good choice for a beginning wine drinker.
  • kimbera68
    kimbera68 Posts: 10
    Options
    I've posted twice now and each time my post showed up twice :ohwell: