I HATE SCHOOL!

Options
Okay, not really, today was a staff meeting and they supplied breakfast....
All I can say is thank goodness I am planning on working out today!

Why is it that teachers eat like crap?!?!? I mean usually I bring my own little lunch and snacks....but then I get accused of being "anti-social." Well hell...I AM anti-social!!! :grumble:

Replies

• ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options

Why is it that teachers eat like crap?!?!? I mean usually I bring my own little lunch and snacks....but then I get accused of being "anti-social." Well hell...I AM anti-social!!! :grumble:
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options
    Just smile, in a very friendly way, and say I have a bet with a bunch of friends. We're seeing who can avoid this the longest...you don't want me to be the first to fail, do you?

I'll be one of your group of friends. :wink: :laugh:
    I don't eat that kind of food ever due to allergies, so I will always be avoiding it. There's not even a white lie involved.:wink:
  • LadyZen
    LadyZen Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I hear ya!! I teach 1st grade and we have snack everyday....my willpower is nonexistent!! The only thing that helps is that I try to work off at least that amount of cals that day. Hubby wasn't happy about it though; he says that I should avoid the snacks period. Any thoughts????????????
  • shkaki
    shkaki Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    i would tell them that "I don't have to eat to be social" :laugh:
  • Gabbi
    Gabbi Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Be honest. Tell them you are watching your weight, seeing everyone else is also!!!!
  • Nana27
    Nana27 Posts: 77
    Options
    Maybe you can talk them into getting healthy snacks, fruit, granola bars, etc.
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    I've mentioned the losing weight thing to some.

I am lucky cause my principal is actually losing weight too. So, since I am the home ec teacher, he's approached me about having my food production kids make faculty salads (like mega salads...compared to what the lunch room has). So that teachers can have healthier options.

I usually kinda hole up in my room anyway....cause we have quite the sarcastic staff and there is a lot of negative energy....but there is usually always cake/goodies where the staff gathers....

It's a pain.
  • Nana27
    Nana27 Posts: 77
    Options
    Take your own snacks and then sit back and watch all of them getting fat and you getting skinny and healthy. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I had that problem in a place where I used to worked too; people bringing in cakes and donuts, etc. So, I started bringing in veggies and cut up fruit once in a while. It kinda rubbed off on people plus I call donuts fat pills and say " no thanks, already had my fat pill for the day". Something like that -- when they become persistant (makes them think twice).
    I eat pretty well.. so people seem to want to tempt me to eating crap food. Just feel good in saying no. It is empowering!!
  • shkaki
    shkaki Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    i think its honestly a big problem in the U.S. that most people know what things are "good and healthy" or "bad and unhealthy" to be eating, but some of those who are always eating unhealthy foods, want us to eat them to, and make us feel guilty about trying to make healthy choices. Its not always about being fat or skinny either. Its about feeding your body foods to make it run properly. Processed and other non healthy foods can have terrible effects on the body, and I think most people know that. Yet, when we chose to want to make healthy lifestyle changes others always have to criticize and make us feel guilty. Here's a recent example:

My fiance and I decided that we aren't going to be serving cake at our reception. We don't eat cake, and we feel others don't really need to be eating it either. So we opted not to have that served. We have gotten a TREMENDOUS amount of back lash for that. How many times do you go to a wedding and hear people say "well i really don't need to eat this cake but since its here I better" well, we are just taking all of the guess work out of it. (and we're standing firm in our decision :))

I know this happens every where to everyone at home, and at work. Just stand firm in your choices and say "no thank you". It really isn't rude for you to decline. It's rude for them to continue to be pushy or critical! Stand firm!! :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options

My fiance and I decided that we aren't going to be serving cake at our reception. We don't eat cake, and we feel others don't really need to be eating it either. So we opted not to have that served. We have gotten a TREMENDOUS amount of back lash for that. How many times do you go to a wedding and hear people say "well i really don't need to eat this cake but since its here I better" well, we are just taking all of the guess work out of it. (and we're standing firm in our decision :))

I know this happens every where to everyone at home, and at work. Just stand firm in your choices and say "no thank you". It really isn't rude for you to decline. It's rude for them to continue to be pushy or critical! Stand firm!! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Oh you guys are so brave! I would totally cave on the cake....but since my wedding was put on hold...I may have a different mindset when we actually get to it.

I don't mind being "snobby" about food. I will admit I eat more junk then I would like (I try to keep it moderate). I just hate feeling like the outsider....even with my family...I don't like getting crap for trying to improve myself.
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    I had that problem in a place where I used to worked too; people bringing in cakes and donuts, etc. So, I started bringing in veggies and cut up fruit once in a while. It kinda rubbed off on people plus I call donuts fat pills and say " no thanks, already had my fat pill for the day". Something like that -- when they become persistant (makes them think twice).
    I eat pretty well.. so people seem to want to tempt me to eating crap food. Just feel good in saying no. It is empowering!!

I like that!! I've already had my fat pill for the day - lol. Good one.
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options

Good for you...way to be strong!

What about Chocolate Covered Strawberries? or a Chocolate Fondue table?
  • pinktoque
    pinktoque Posts: 340 Member
    Options

Don't I know it!

EVERY single staff meeting (and we had at least one a week) and any personal development days we had SO much food. And it seemed like nearly every day someone had brought something in and left it in the staff room for anyone. I don't know how most teachers in our building stayed thin with that much food around! And don't get me wrong... it was YUMMY stuff! But very, very rarely good-for-you stuff. Or if there was fruit and such, it was a small amount/not very much and definitely not the focus. It's the same way here -- I go into various staff rooms when I'm subbing and there's always treats around and all of the teachers always remind me multiple times that I'm welcome to any of it and "here have some of this, it's great!" ... I feel kinda rude sometimes if I don't accept. BUT at least I'm aware of it now. I guess what I needed back then was willpower and MFP to just leave it alone and politely decline haha

Like today. Tim Bits in the staff room at my summer receptionist job. If you're in Canada, you know what I'm talking about. Everyone else... think Dunkin' Donut holes in a huge box. I eye it everytime I pass by the staff room but then I remember that I don't want to have to enter it on MFP so I steer clear!

Yesterday I went to my teacher orientation (school starts Tuesday here) and I only took some fruit from the table, and water. But let me tell you... the cinnamon buns and streusel and huge chocolate chip muffins were calling my name. I decided I need selective hearing for those kinds of situations -- pretend I don't hear the chocolate chips from across the room ;)

Good luck to everyone else out there resisting the temptations at your jobs proudly! :heart:
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options

When I worked at Target, I got the "anti-social" line, because I didn't eat with my fellow managers in the cafe (where they have the hot dogs and popcorn). I always ate before work, and besides the food there wasn't exactly healthy...AND ight colored pants DO NOT look good on overweight people-espeically those of us that gain weight in the hip/thigh area like me. Especially since my pants are ALWAYS tight in that particular area for me-slim or plump! :laugh:

As far as teachers eating crap...Ithink that is a lot of places. At my jobs, with the exception fo this one, we ALWAYS had some kind of sweets around. My sister is a teacher and her lunch break is at 10.15am. Obviously, a person is going to want to eat at least 2 more meals before the day is out! It is no wonder that snacks are everywhere!
  • pinktoque
    pinktoque Posts: 340 Member
    Options

Wow, GOOD FOR YOU! I hate it when everyone else pushes their opinions on what they think the traditions MUST BE when it comes to YOUR wedding. It is YOUR day, not theirs. If they want cake so bad they can stop and pick up a piece on the way home, but there's no rule set in stone that you HAVE to have cake at your reception! There's TONS of healthy alternatives :D Have you ever heard of http://www.ediblearrangements.com ? They do *beautiful* designs with fruit ... usually like bouquets and "flower arrangements." I sent my mom a bouquet of fruit flowers for her birthday and she LOVED them! You could do something really beautiful with fruit and make a display 10x better than your typical cake display. And it would be so healthy for everyone!

But seriously, way to go on being firm and doing things YOUR way on YOUR special day :heart:
  • FitMomof3
    FitMomof3 Posts: 147
    Options
    I went to a meeting at my daughter's preschool last night and they served a snack--two kinds of homemade cookies, hawaiian punch and milk. The milk is alright, but who wants to just drink a glass of milk. I just used one of the cups and filled it with water at the fountain. Yeah me!
  • lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Our school knows how to eat. They bought us pizza one day and cookies a few days later as a reward for outstanding SAT and ACT scores. I ate both, I just accounted for it later.

On a regular day, I bring a frozen dinner and a piece of fruit. Most of the people in my lunch bunch bring their own as well. I'm as social as ever am, mostly because I would work through lunch if I stayed in my room and I need to get away from the kids for a while.

If anyone chides me about turning down the endless stream of birthday cakes and other treats in the lounge, I remind them that we are supposed to be a healthy school.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options

Oh you guys are so brave! I would totally cave on the cake....but since my wedding was put on hold...I may have a different mindset when we actually get to it.

I don't mind being "snobby" about food. I will admit I eat more junk then I would like (I try to keep it moderate). I just hate feeling like the outsider....even with my family...I don't like getting crap for trying to improve myself.

lol oh my, our wedding is the opposite! We are having a dessert reception........soooo all cakes, tarts, cookies, chocolate fountain and fresh fruit! :blushing: (my idea) its an evening wedding and it fit so well. lol, I love desserts... and I only get married once!
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options

lol oh my, our wedding is the opposite! We are having a dessert reception........soooo all cakes, tarts, cookies, chocolate fountain and fresh fruit! :blushing: (my idea) its an evening wedding and it fit so well. lol, I love desserts... and I only get married once!

How fun is that!