Calling all Cereal Connoiseurs!! What are some healthy AND t

Options
2»

Replies

• Sara1978
    Sara1978 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the Kirkland Signature Cinnamon Pecan cereal that I purchase at Costco. It is not a low-fat, low-calorie cereal, but it is low in sodium. What drew me to it honestly was the calcium content-- I don't do very well with most types of dairy, so calcium is something I struggle with. One serving of the cereal all by itself packs in 70% of your RDA of Calcium, which I find amazing, along with a substantial amount of protein, fiber and iron. I generally eat about 1/3 of a serving according to the box's definition of a serving. I'll use it as a topper in my yogurt a lot of mornings. It's really delicious too.
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Buckeye_Mama
    Buckeye_Mama Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I love Total Plus+ Omega-3s Honey Almond Flax. Not only does it taste really good, but it's the only cereal I've found so far that actually keeps me from feeling hungry a couple of hours later.
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Fiber One Honey Clusters.
    MultiGrain Cheerios!
    Special K - minus the protien kind. It looked like a box of scabs. =[
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    honey nut cheerios
  • jackal75
    jackal75 Posts: 95
    Options
    I don't normally eat cereal, but when I get a craving I'll eat Kashi GoLean. Esp Toasted Berry Crumble in unsweetened vanilla almond milk (40 cals/cup) mmmmmmmmmmmm

I'm not big on the milk alternatives, but I definately give two thumbs up on the Kashi GoLean. My only complaint on Kashi is the calories. Taste and nutritional value of Kashi is superb though!

When I'm hurting for calories, I go with Multigrain Cheerios. Love those too.

My cereal kick came about because my cholesterol was a little high, but I have come to love my cereal and oatmeal.
  • brian90
    brian90 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Kashi GoLean.
  • michelleisgettinfit
    Options
    Kashi Go Lean Crunch and Fiber One! With unsweetened Almond Milk. YUM!
  • ruffledviolet
    ruffledviolet Posts: 260
    Options
    i mix!!
    .8 kashi go lean original (high protein and high fiber) + .2 wegmans fall harvest or +.2 special k red berries
    or .8 plain cheerios - generic though + .2 raisin bran

i try to do like part healthy + part tasty.
  • splashwags
    splashwags Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Mine is Kashi Go Lean High Protein High Fiber with fresh berries or banana and Silk Organic Unsweetened Soy Milk!!!
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    my favorites are kashi go lean honey almond flax, basic 4, cinnamon cheerios, raisin bran, and kix. All these are tasty and give you a decent nutritional value for the calories. There are a lot of cereal that are mainly empty calories.

One note on cereal, I usually measure my cereal with a dry measure cup and decided earlier this week to weigh it out on my food scale just for the heck of it. I am glad I did, i have been over serving myself cereal for years. If you have a food scale I suggest you weigh it out a few times to see what a serving size in weight looks like - and then weigh out what you would normally dry measure for yourself - I guarantee there will be a difference that is not insignificant calorie wise.
  • Boomerof51
    Boomerof51 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Fiber One Original with fresh blueberries and Greek yogurt. Low cal and satisfies me for hours.
  • Cmuchoa
    Cmuchoa Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I like to switch my breakfast around and use Almond or Coconut Milk.

I have found Ezekiel 4:9 has a few cereals to choose from but I like the original with flax.

I also have Millet puffs that I add flax seeds and a banana or blueberries.

Bob's Red Mill 100% Whole Grain - 10 Grain Hot cereal.

Ancient Harvest Quinoa Flakes that I have used as a hot cereal.

When I don't have cereal I like to have my eggs & Ezekiel 4:9 low sodium or Spelt toasted and either cantaloupe or pineapple on the side.
  • JustBreathe418
    JustBreathe418 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Yes, my vote is also for Kashi GoLean! It really packs a nutritional punch with 140 cals/cup, 13g protein, 10g fiber, and only 1g fat and 6g of sugar! A lot of people complain that it lacks flavor...I do admit that it doesn't taste as sweet but its because there isn't much sugar in it (which is a good thing!). But if you add some blueberries (or any other fruit you prefer!) and maybe a dash of cinnamon, you get a perfectly power packed and tasty bowl of cereal! I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk as well.
  • dearprudence1964
    dearprudence1964 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your awesome suggestions!!! I am looking forward to trying them out.