cup measurement?

2»

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    In the US, a cup is 8 ounces. Other have chimed in on other equivalents, so I thought I would add the ounces.

Just to avoid any confusion - that's 8 fluid ounces (volume), not weight ounces... (so tricky! why they had to use ounces for both weight and volume, I'll never understand... :laugh: )

Huh? Eight ounces of water is a cup of water. So if you use a one cup measurment you'll get eight ounces of water and visa versa.

ounces is both a weight and a volume measurement, and the weight ounces and volume ounces (often labeled fluid ounces) cannot be used interchangably. Some people get them mixed up. 1 cup = 8 fluid ounces as you said. But 8 ounces of meat (weight measurement) is not the same volume as 8 fluid ounces of water.
  • reander
    reander Posts: 175 Member
    I usually weigh out my food, but when the battery rund out I revert to cups.

I find this page pretty useful, as it has approximate weights for cups for quite a few different food types: http://www.veg-world.com/articles/cups.htm

hope that helps :smile:
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Go to hanley or newcastle in poundland they have measuring spoons and there is a 1/2 cup and 1 cup measure with it.
  • JenniferH81
    JenniferH81 Posts: 285 Member
    I know all this stuff already, but this thread has me confused. go figure. xD
  • Cindi_Jo
    Cindi_Jo Posts: 19
    When we are measuring what a person drinks at work 8 ounces = 1cup, 240ml=1cup. Dry ingredients are measured a bit differently but basically it's the same.
  • starrynight85
    starrynight85 Posts: 3 Member
    Just so you know, water, milk and oil can all be measured by weight or volume. Everything else really should be weight because depending on how tightly or loosely an ingredient is packed in a measuring cup you could have more or less of something, ie. a cup of flour is not 8oz, it could be 4 or 6 oz. And there are roughly 28.9g in an oz if that helps at all.

p.s. I'm a baking student so this is what I have been taught, just wanted to try to help :)
  • naturallykat
    naturallykat Posts: 118 Member
    Do not, whatever you do, google images "cup," thinking you can guess the size of it from the pictures. Not only are the images of a US measuring cup unhelpful because they are not in a picture with anything else, but images also come up for "2 girls 1 cup" which you really, really do NOT want to see, because you will wish you could bleach your eyeballs! :sick: :noway:
This discussion has been closed.