opinions please

Options
MY CW is 145 and my goal is 125-130, what would you have your projected loss per week be?? I have it set to 2lbs per week..since that is not a realistic goal it automatically changes it to 1.2 lbs per week and gives me 1200 calories. If I change it to 1lb per week I get something like 1320 calories....soooo what would you do??

Replies

• kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would do 1 lb per week. That way you can have a few more calories per day and it won't be so hard to stay on track. That's just me though.
  • Buckeye_Mama
    Buckeye_Mama Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I would shoot for 1 lb per week. That way you won't feel like you're starving yourself and it won't seem like a chore to lose the weight.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I would change it to .5 or 1 pound per week. You're close to your goal, the weight will come off slower and you need to eat a little more so that your body continues to burn fat and not muscle.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would do 1 lb per week. That way you can have a few more calories per day and it won't be so hard to stay on track. That's just me though.

agreed
  • mirandamatte
    mirandamatte Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Guess I never thought of 20lbs to go as close to my goal weight, but it would be nice to have more calories.
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Because you don't have much to lose, you shouldn't aim to lose more than 1 lb a week. The smaller you are, the more careful you need to be about cutting calories. You need to cut enough to lose, but don't cut too much.

There is a lot of info here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
  • Soon_to_be_Rigby
    Options
    I would stick with the 1 pound per week, I think it is a more realistic goal and you wont go into "starvation mode." Changing your eating habits is never an easy task so I personally feel we should give ourselves the upper hand.

Good luck to you!
  • Mtsidad
    Mtsidad Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    It's trying to help you be realistic and not fail. You don't have that much to lose in the scheme of things (it looks huge to you, maybe, but to your body it's just about 10-12% of your weight). So you're far more likely to be successful in the 1200-1320 calorie range than if you tried to do any less, and your body metabolism will start to slow down if you try to reduce your intake much below 1200.

It's OK to lose the weight over 20 weeks. I know that sounds like forever, but it's better to do it successfully than try to do it too quick and then burn out on the effort.

Good luck. Consistency is the key here.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I would start at 1lb a week, but very shortly like a month in, you are going to need to reduce it to .5lb a week.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    The slower the better my dear ^_^
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    agree with everyone on here, 2lbs is just not realistic.
    set it to 1. and after you lose 5-10lbs you're gonna really have to shake things up to keep seeing downward movement.
    I'm right there myself.

Good Luck! :drinker:
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I would change it to .5 or 1 pound per week. You're close to your goal, the weight will come off slower and you need to eat a little more so that your body continues to burn fat and not muscle.

QFT.
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    My CW is 150 and my GW is 135. I've been at this for a few months now and have lost 5 lbs. I have my calories set at 1200 and always eat my exercise calories back. It's coming off slow, but it's coming off.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

QFT.

yes (quoted for truth, in case you didn't know)

You can start with 1 pound a week for a couple of weeks to get started, and you'll drop a few pounds of water retention, but shortly thereafter you NEED to change it to half a pound a week. Your body does not want to get rid of those last few pounds and you have to coax them off slowly by convincing your body that you're not in a famine, and that there is plenty of healthy food available to you, so it has no need to hold onto its"emergency fat".