Not Eating Enough Fat?

Options
Kayley
Kayley Posts: 327 Member
Soooo, this week I've noticed that I've been eating very low amounts of fat. Twice this week I ate less than 10 (grams?) of fat and other times I've eaten less than half of what I'm supposed to. I guess I never really noticed how low in fat a lot of the foods I eat are 'till now. :laugh:

Anyway! My weight's been kinda stuck this week since I've noticed this, so could not eating enough fat have something to do with it being stuck? Is eating this little fat unhealthy too? :indifferent:

Replies

• Kayley
    Options
    Soooo, this week I've noticed that I've been eating very low amounts of fat. Twice this week I ate less than 10 (grams?) of fat and other times I've eaten less than half of what I'm supposed to. I guess I never really noticed how low in fat a lot of the foods I eat are 'till now. :laugh:

Anyway! My weight's been kinda stuck this week since I've noticed this, so could not eating enough fat have something to do with it being stuck? Is eating this little fat unhealthy too? :indifferent:
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    I'm still losing but I have the same problem with not eating that much fat. My fat is usually between 10-20 per day. Is this a BAD thing?
  • JennyGetsFit
    JennyGetsFit Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Just a quick search result (going to lunch) - but I have a friend who did not have enough fat over a period of a few months and started having a problem with hair...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Why Our Bodies Need Fats

In This Section:
    Why Our Bodies Need Fats
    Essential Fatty Acids
    Triglycerides
    Cholesterol
    Lipoproteins
    Dietary Guidelines for Fat

Why do we need fat in our diet?

Fat provides needed energy. It is difficult to eat the large amounts of food in a very low fat diet to get all the energy you need.
    Fat is needed to prevent essential fatty acid deficiency.
    Fat is needed so your body can absorb the fat soluble vitamins A, S, E, K, and prevent deficiencies of these vitamins.
    Fat provides flavor and texture to help prevent food from being bland and dry.
    Fat helps food to stay in the stomach longer, giving a greater sense of satisfaction and preventing hunger soon after meals.
    Fat may help your body produce endorphins (natural substances in the brain that produce pleasurable feelings).
    Diets too low in fat (less than 20 - 25%) may trigger cravings.

What does fat do for our body?

Provides back-up energy if blood sugar supplies run out (after 4-6 hours without food).
    Provides insulation under the skin from the cold and the heat.
    Protects organs and bones from shock and provides support for organs.
    Fat surrounds and insulates nerve fibers to help transmit nerve impulses.
    Fat is part of every cell membrane in the body. It helps transport nutrients and metabolites across cell membranes.
    Your body uses fat to make a variety of other building blocks needed for everything from hormones to immune function.

What happens when we don't have enough fat in our diet?

Dry, scaly skin
    Hair loss
    Low body weight
    Cold intolerance
    Bruising
    Poor growth
    Lower resistance to infection
    Poor wound healing
    Loss of menstruation
  • Kayley
    Options
    Thanks Jenny for posting all that helpful info! :flowerforyou: I've been starting to have problems with my hair as well...this could be the cause of it! Gaaah~ need more fat! :noway:
  • JennyGetsFit
    JennyGetsFit Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Kayley,
    you are welcome.
    to clarify - one week of not having enough fat is not long enough to affect anything, I would think.
    But overtime, it causes serious problems.
    Also, chose good source of fat- EVOO, flaxseed, avocado - sorry, you prob know already.
    :smile:
  • Vans
    Vans Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    What about flax oil?
    or maybe try tacking Omega 3-6-9 vitamins
    :flowerforyou: good luck
  • bellmom627
    bellmom627 Posts: 195
    Options
    CHEEEEEEEEEEEEESE!!!!
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Hey, I found I wasn't eating enough as well. I started to incorporate 2% cheese instead of fat-free cheese and eat peanut butter more often and nutella! LOL! Salmon and other fatty fish are a good source of fats. Almonds are excellent as welL!
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • Vans
    Vans Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    What about flax oil?
    or maybe try tacking Omega 3-6-9 vitamins
    :flowerforyou: good luck

I just wanted to add that NUTS are high in fat as well.... or even try pumpkin seeds....or even dried up soy beans!!

I just had 25 roasted NOT salted almonds for my snack and they were:
    Cals:173 Carbs:6 Fat:15 Protein:6
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Great info from Jenny. Yes, your body needs fat. Especially for fat soluble vitamins & minerals. I had a friend that ate less than 10g of fat for a while (doing WW) and she lost a lot of hair, her nails were brittle, and she just didn't look healthy.

Try almonds, walnuts, salmon, natural PB, avocados, olive oil, etc. Try to balance it out also, I try to eat a little good fat w/ each meal.

Jess
  • Rebecca1234
    Options
    Hey, I found I wasn't eating enough as well. I started to incorporate 2% cheese instead of fat-free cheese and eat peanut butter more often and nutella! LOL! Salmon and other fatty fish are a good source of fats. Almonds are excellent as welL!

You made me want nutella and salmon. Just not together, gross. I will have to get some next week!