hot yoga: my new healthy addiction

Options
I went to my first Hot Yoga class last night. For those of you who don't know what it is, it's Bikram Yoga, which has you practicing the same 26 postures in the same order, at each class....oh ya, and it's like 105 degrees in the room!

It was one of those life changing moments, I think. I've never done yoga before, other than a couple lame dvds at home, which were boring as hell and just didn't inspire me to continue. But when a friend at work starting talking about this 'hot' yoga class, I was very interested. The thought of being in a sauna-like environment, strrrrrreeetchhhhhing out your muscles, being extra limber because of the heat, sweating out all those toxins...it all just sounded like a wonderful experience and I wanted in!

I found a hot yoga class close to my house, which is amazing in itself being that I live in a town of 4,000 people and we don't have ANYTHING here, so when I found out there was an instructor who also teaches out of her home just 5 minutes from me, I was all over that like white on rice :)....low glycemic basmati rice, that is. LOL

When I showed up and walked up the stairs to her bonus room where she holds her classes, I opened the door and it was like standing in front of the oven and opening it. The heat blasted out of the room right into my face and I knew from there that this was going to be an experience. I just hoped it wasn't one of those 'what did i get myself into' experiences!

She briefly explained how the class flows, some etiquette basics, and we were off. I knew it was going to be challenging, but having never done yoga, much less a hot yoga class, I never really understood how it could be considered a workout, and I was curious how many calories I'd burn and how I'd feel the next day. The first 10 minutes or so were all standing postures, and they really elevated my heart rate.....to about 175 beats per minute, which is roughly 88% my max heart rate, so YA, it was an intense period of time and I was really worried that there was no way I'd be able to endure 90 minutes of this.

Much to my delight, after we finished the standing postures, we moved on to floor postures, which were still a challenge, but with the added benefit of getting to lie flat on your back and breath/recover for a few seconds in between poses. Next thing I knew, we only had 15 minutes left to class and I couldn't believe I made it. I was so happy!

Mentally, the experience was wonderful as well. I was able to get into all but one pose, and some of these poses are HARD! So, as I stood there surrounded by mirrors and REALLY fit women who had a lot of experience with this class, I was actually really proud of myself. The most ground breaking part of the class, tho, was when I looked at myself in these mirrors and realized that yes, while I do have some weight to lose, I'm not this disgusting creature I keep thinking I am. As a matter of fact, there wasn't anything disgusting about me. All I saw in that mirror was a determined and capable young woman who was regaining control of her health and taking on new challenges to boot!

Oh ya, and I burned close to a THOUSAND calories. 990 to be exact. Just by doing yoga!! :D OMG!!

I came home exhausted and limber. Woke up in the morning feeling fine, albeit a bit sore, like I had been in the gym lifting weights or something. It's a good soreness, tho, and I can't freakin wait to go back!

Replies

• Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Wow - sounds awesome! I've been wondering what "hot yoga" was. Thanks for cluing me in!
  • run4yourlife
    run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Woah - 1000 cals?! When I do hot yoga it's like 400 cals in 90 min.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I like the yoga part.

The being a room thats 105 degrees just doesn't sound too fun to me. Hello dehydration.
  • osucristina
    osucristina Posts: 197
    Options
    I've been wanting to try Bikram forever now but theres no one certified in my city and apparently you have to be certified by the Birkam Gods! Good job!!
  • dstikeleather
    Options
    I started practicing hot yoga a couple of weeks ago and I love it too! I feel so refreshed after the class - although, I have to admit - there are times during the class where I am thinking 'I can't do this - it's too hot, I am too tired..." etc. However, after I push through that and get through the rest of the class, I feel incredible (after I take a shower lol!). I used to think "yoga? whatever" but now I have a new interest and facination with the practice. It is definitely challenging, but well worth the effort.

I find that I am about the only one in the class that can't do all of the poses, but my teacher told me to keep my focus on my own mat and not compare myself to others that have been practicing for years, but I tell you, there are some really limber and athletic people in these classes. I can't imagine twisting my body into the shapes that they can - with great ease. I am just going to keep practicing with a goal to get better each time and maybe one day I will get close.

Have fun!
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Woah - 1000 cals?! When I do hot yoga it's like 400 cals in 90 min.

LOL I'm guessing you arent a 6' tall 200# chick like me tho :(
  • CeleryStalker
    Options
    I like the yoga part.

The being a room thats 105 degrees just doesn't sound too fun to me. Hello dehydration.

Nah, a little sweat never killed anyone. You're supposed to hydrate WELL before and after, as well as replenish your electrolytes. I came home 4# lighter than when I left, which is right on par with when I go out for long bike rides. The cool part is, after a bike ride, I retain 4-6# of water for about 5 days. This morning, I woke up half a pound heavier than I was when I got home from class last night, so I'm guessing I'm not retaining water like I do after bike rides.....which means I didn't dehydrate like I do when I ride. Yay for yoga, boo for me not drinking enough while on the bike. Doh!
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I used to go to Bikram class and loved it. You always feel so good afterwards. Glad you found it!
  • smartin0619
    smartin0619 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to do bikram yoga for a while now too. I've done yoga twice ever and my muscles are really tight. Did you find it was a good class to start with, I think you mentioned you have never done yoga??
  • CeleryStalker
    Options
    I started practicing hot yoga a couple of weeks ago and I love it too! I feel so refreshed after the class - although, I have to admit - there are times during the class where I am thinking 'I can't do this - it's too hot, I am too tired..." etc. However, after I push through that and get through the rest of the class, I feel incredible (after I take a shower lol!). I used to think "yoga? whatever" but now I have a new interest and facination with the practice. It is definitely challenging, but well worth the effort.

Exactly! It's a huge challenge, and it's oh so gratifying when the class is over. It's crazy how one minute you're like oh god i can't make it, class only started and im suffering so bad, and the next minute you're like, hell, only 10 minutes left?? I guess, just like with the hydration topic related back to my cycling, that I can relate the ups and downs of 'i cant do this' 'yes i can' back to cycling. I know for the first 10 miles, I'm suffering and hating life, then I get warmed up and I'm good for another 50 or 60 miles. It's awesome!
    I find that I am about the only one in the class that can't do all of the poses, but my teacher told me to keep my focus on my own mat and not compare myself to others that have been practicing for years, but I tell you, there are some really limber and athletic people in these classes. I can't imagine twisting my body into the shapes that they can - with great ease. I am just going to keep practicing with a goal to get better each time and maybe one day I will get close.

Have fun!

omg, the woman next to me, who had FOUR kids and was seriously super model thin with just perfect everything, was SO limber. It was hard not to look at her with my jaw dropped to the floor. She just looked amazing and watching her do the moves and looking like she should be in an instructional video was really motivating for me.....it showed me that these things are possible, and one day, I'll be able to sit on my feet and bend backwards flat to the floor. For now, it will just have to be the pose I can only kinda do. And oddly enough, the instructor advised me that it's not a core flexibility thing, its an ANKLE flexibility limitation that is holding me back from this posture. It totally makes sense. I have weak, crappy ankles. I can roller skate on four bangers, but I can't roller blade or ice skate because I don't have the strength and whatnot in the ol' ankles. I'm excited to see how much more I can accomplish once yoga has helped change my body. I bet I'll be able to ice skate! :D
  • CeleryStalker
    Options
    I've been wanting to do bikram yoga for a while now too. I've done yoga twice ever and my muscles are really tight. Did you find it was a good class to start with, I think you mentioned you have never done yoga??

The only yoga I've ever done was a couple crummy dvds at home and they were boring as all getout. I didn't even want to do the poses because it just seemed 'stupid'.

The hot yoga class, on the other hand, was an entirely different creature. The heat in there limbers you up naturally, so you are able to bend and flex with ease. But ya, I totally recommend this as a beginner class. Heck, one of their philosophies is that Bikram yoga is for EVERYONE, because everyone can do it. Even with very accomplished practitioners in the same room, you can stand there and do your beginner attempts at the postures while they are doing theirs just more deeply and steadily. You just keep getting better with each class.

I found it a LOT of fun and very invigorating. Hell, I went in last night with a REALLY bad sunburn, was worried that I would be very uncomfy with all the moving and whatnot, but when I left, I could barely even feel the crispy fried skin on my chest, shoulders, and back. I guess all the heat and sweating was beneficial to my skin's healing. Yay for yoga!
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post. My new gym offers hot yoga classes and I've wondered about them and how they might compare to normal yoga. I've never done any yoga beyond a few poses from the Wii Fit and a Pilates DVD, which I know isn't the same thing.
  • CeleryStalker
    Options
    Robin, go!! Check it out and have fun!
  • smartin0619
    smartin0619 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    woo hoo, thanks for the tips! I'm glad you enjoyed it so much, time to get my butt over to the studio ;)
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I've always been curious about hot yoga. We have several in my area and one right beside my doggie's groomer. I might check it out. I need to really get back to my flexible self.
  • someday_soon
    Options
    I. Love. Hot. Yoga.

I don't really know if the calorie burning is as high as some people claim, but it nourishes my soul! It is somehow simultaneously ridiculously calming and challenging. I've always been good about working out, but bad about eating healthy, but yoga just calms me down and puts me in a mindset where healthy eating comes naturally. Definitely worth it! And the hot yoga studio near me has an amazing student rate. :)

I would love to try bikram too!