healthy camping foods? little space, no ice...

Options
KayakAngel
KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
I'm preparing for a 9 day kayak camping trip in a few weeks, and though an organizer is bringing the food for the main meals, I have to pack some snacks. Any good suggestions, campers? :glasses: It's primitive camping on the French Broad in North Carolina, so I won't have ice and I don't have tons of space (gotta fit in the kayak). I'm not too worried about calories considering we'll be going about 15 miles a day on the river, but trying to keep it fairly healthy... suggestions?

Replies

• dlangenfeld
    dlangenfeld Posts: 119
    Options
    Trail mix that you make yourself, apples, almonds.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Make yourself some high-protein trail mix with lots of nuts, dried berries, etc.
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Tuna (get the tear-to-open pouches), dried fruit (high in calories but you could use the quick carbs for fuel), nuts (or trail mix). Crunchy granola bars. Have fun!
  • dore0021
    dore0021 Posts: 137
    Options
    Peanut Butter!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Pemmican.
  • KayakAngel
    Options
    Trail mix, definitely. Perfect. And tuna - hadn't thought of that, that's perfect too! Writing these down...
  • laceylovespink
    Options
    i was just thinking about this yesterday....am looking for healthy options when my daughter has her smores :)

could you make some fruit/protein/whey packed muffins? i think if you made the right size and a dense texture that they would keep well :) some peanut butter granola bars would be good too...can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    One thing to keep in mind is that by kayaking, you'll be burning a lot more calories during the day than normal, so keep this in mind if you decide to indulge. I personally love backpacking and based on the calorie expenditure (up to 1000 per hour!), I not only choose foods that are calorie-dense, I also have no problem indulging as well.
  • KayakAngel
    Options
    Yep, paddling burns about 400 an hour (depending on river current), so calorie dense sounds good. Dried fruit fits the bill pretty well, so I'll put a lot of that in the trail mix... any other ideas?
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Try for some of the protein bar (17gr or more) that do not have a coating (so they don't melt all over everything). This should help keep you fuller and get in your protein which lacks on trips like this, they tend to focus more on Carbs.
  • KayakAngel
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions - you guys are awesome! :flowerforyou:
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, tuna (or chicken since I don't like tuna) there are some good snack/dessert packs at REI too. Can be made with hot water from jet boil. The meals are good too, but sounds like you might not need them?