This cant possibly be true- can it?

Options
I just read this statement " For every pound of muscle that you add, it will burn 3000 calories a day."

Is that true? I feel stupid even asking, becuase I'm confident is just one more of the 12,000,654 theories and myths out there- :noway:

Replies

• goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I just read this statement " For every pound of muscle that you add, it will burn 3000 calories a day."

Is that true? I feel stupid even asking, becuase I'm confident is just one more of the 12,000,654 theories and myths out there- :noway:
  • Canelitas
    Canelitas Posts: 712
    Options
    hummm... i have no clue, but let's see if anyone knows,

I've heard "For every pound you lose, it takes 4lbs of presurre off your knees".
  • Theresa35
    Theresa35 Posts: 1,102
    Options
    hummm... i have no clue, but let's see if anyone knows,

I've heard "For every pound you lose, it takes 4lbs of presurre off your knees".

I have heard this one as well from folks who have had replacement surgry, told to them by thier docs.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    for every pound of muscle? so if I gain 2 pounds of muscle I can eat 7200 cals a day instead of 1200? That sounds wrong to me. I know the more muscle you have the more you will burn, but I sure don't know anyone who eats THAT many calories a day, lol.
  • pros696
    pros696 Posts: 80
    Options
    That would be kinda cool, I still wouldn't eat that many calories in a day though.
  • kerrilucko
    Options
    That would be kinda cool, I still wouldn't eat that many calories in a day though.

lol, I would... pass the ice cream please :bigsmile: oh wait, that's how I got here in the first place :embarassed:
  • RedCurls
    RedCurls Posts: 56
    Options
    for every pound of muscle? so if I gain 2 pounds of muscle I can eat 7200 cals a day instead of 1200? That sounds wrong to me. I know the more muscle you have the more you will burn, but I sure don't know anyone who eats THAT many calories a day, lol.

Look at what Michael Phelps (the Olympic Swimmer) eats daily... 12,000 calories... I don't think I could eat this if I tried!

Breakfast: Three fried-egg sandwiches loaded with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions and mayonnaise. Two cups of coffee. One five-egg omelet. One bowl of grits. Three slices of French toast topped with powdered sugar. Three chocolate-chip pancakes.

Lunch: One pound of enriched pasta. Two large ham and cheese sandwiches with mayo on white bread. Energy drinks packing 1,000 calories.

Dinner: One pound of pasta. An entire pizza. More energy drinks.
  • kerrilucko
    Options

Look at what Michael Phelps (the Olympic Swimmer) eats daily... 12,000 calories... I don't think I could eat this if I tried!

Breakfast: Three fried-egg sandwiches loaded with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions and mayonnaise. Two cups of coffee. One five-egg omelet. One bowl of grits. Three slices of French toast topped with powdered sugar. Three chocolate-chip pancakes.

Lunch: One pound of enriched pasta. Two large ham and cheese sandwiches with mayo on white bread. Energy drinks packing 1,000 calories.

:sick: makes my tummy hurt just reading it!
  • shkaki
    shkaki Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    nope its not the case. otherwise, for me with 100lbs of muscle on me then i'd be eating .....umm...lets just say A LOT more than 1500calories.. :)

it is true however, that 1lb of muscle burns up to 5x as many calories as 1lb of fat. Muscle requires a lot of energy, where as fat just kinda sits there. So yes, the more lbs of muscle your body has, the higher amount of calories you burn throughout the day....but not 3000 for an extra lb of muscle you add.

sure would be nice though!!!
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    http://www.nowloss.com/weight_loss_made_easy6.htm

According to this site 1 lb of muscle burns 50 calories per day, compared to 1 lb of fat using less than 3 calories per day.
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I think maybe they mean, it takes 3000 calories burnt per day to build a pound of muscle?
  • hnlymark
    hnlymark Posts: 191
    Options
    According to the British July issue of Men's Health, on page 193, 4kg (about 9 lbs) of muscle burns 500 additional calories a day. Of course, they don't reveal their source, which, these days, could be a women's stocking advertisement!
  • MontanaGirl
    Options
    According to the British July issue of Men's Health, on page 193, 4kg (about 9 lbs) of muscle burns 500 additional calories a day. Of course, they don't reveal their source, which, these days, could be a women's stocking advertisement!

Hey hnlymark - that works out to about the same as the site I found - yours works out to 55.55 calories per pound. That's 2 - maybe a little more credible?? Someone awhile back posted the stats on how much muscle burns compared to fat but I couldn't find the post. Will keep looking though.
  • MontanaGirl
    Options
    Well, I found 2 or 3 more sites that say yes 1 lb of muscle burns about 50 calories per day and 2 sites that say that is total BS. At the most it only burns up to 13 calories per day. So, I guess use your judgment. I think the point of the 2 naysayers was that you can't use building muscle as an excuse to eat more. Duh. Especially if you're trying to lose weight.
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options

that is to funny the stocking advertisement thing but it is so true, ever since I have been changing my eating habits and exercising everyone around here is suddenly a diet and life coach coming up with all kinds of things "I" should be doing. good thing i have to ears one for that to in and the other for it to come out of immediately. :drinker: :happy:
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    http://www.nowloss.com/weight_loss_made_easy6.htm

According to this site 1 lb of muscle burns 50 calories per day, compared to 1 lb of fat using less than 3 calories per day.

I heard that one too. :drinker:
  • Vans
    Vans Posts: 388 Member
    Options

I was sooooo going to post about PHELPS but ya beat me to it!! haha......and it makes TOTAL sense why he eats that many calories....ENERGY IN...ENERGY OUT!!! our bodies are like cars...WE need fuel to go the distance.....
    In last months Shape Mag Venus Williams was saying how she is up having breakfast around 5 am and she will eat a full out spaghetti meal since breakfast should be the biggest meal.....and how she needs it for all her training and such!!!

anyhow I added my lil bit! HAve a great day:bigsmile: