Smells kinda fishy around here

Options
reyna99
reyna99 Posts: 489 Member
I use to hate fish, but since starting MFP and seeing how 'good' fish is for you, I crave Tilpia and Crappie(when we catch it fresh) all the time !! What are your fav fish reciepes? I haven't tried Salmon, yet...I remember the smell of salmon patties growing up and grosses me out. How do you cook Salmon?

Replies

• cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    cedar plank on the BBQ is AMAZING!!!!
  • amydray
    amydray Posts: 26
    Options
    broil it with some lemon and garlic! so good!
  • tandroes
    tandroes Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    eww no salmon patties for me and it is one of my favorite foods! i like it on the bbq or baked, you can try different spices and sliced lemon on top of it... google recipes, there are so many
  • FTIM2015
    FTIM2015 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Do you have a george foreman or a griddle pan? I love cooking my salmon on either of those so you end up with a crispy outside, almost BBQ. Or do it in foil with lemon juice and herbs. One of our docs at work was saying that he makes it into a curry with fresh tomatoes, onion, peppers, spices and some chillies and serves it with rice (i have yet to try that!)

My all time fav way to have salmon is fresh salmon steaks dome on teh griddle o foreman, with roast onion, peppers, leeks, etc wth a little bit of cheese sauce. Scrummy!
  • kennysrush
    kennysrush Posts: 124
    Options
    Salmon is wonderful when grilled with some lemon juice and spices of your choice. We're going low sodium and like the Mrs Dash and some of the Weber flavors for grilling out!

Other fish like Tilapia is also wonderful grilled, but on tinfoil.

Check with a fork for the meat to flake off and it's done!
  • mommamills
    mommamills Posts: 437
    Options
    i put whatever seasoning I have at the house on it and throw it on the grill for about 20 mins. Do it 2-3x a week now and I love it! Even my hubby is eating it all the time and he only ever eats fried fish from like Captain D's and stuff!!!!
  • talysshade
    talysshade Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    salmon is actually quite good.. you can either pan fry it, grill it or bake it.. but the easiest way for me is pan frying it in just a little bit of olive oil.. depending on the thickness of the fish you don't have to fry it very long at all.. a few minutes, turn it carefully and a bit longer, it can still be pink inside and it'll start falling apart..

With a little bit of lemon and garlic or lemon and rosemary..

I used to hate fish myself. but now i'm a fan of codfish and salmon. Smoked salmon is good, too in a salad. But yeah, good fresh salmon tastes nothing like the patties. Oh.. smoked mackerel is good, too and tuna.. but you might not get those much around there.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I love salmon (Pacific wild only, please), but Salmon patties are nasty.

Salmon on the grill, under the broiler, or just baked. Top with any favorite spice combination: Lemon/Onion/Dill, Curry powder/Ginger root, Mandarin Orange/Garlic... the possibilities are endless. But good salmon has a strong flavor so you'll want to pick spices that won't fade in the background.
  • gesikale
    gesikale Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This is my absolute favorite for tilapia! http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/broiled-tilapia-parmesan/Detail.aspx I lighten it up with light mayo and margarine
  • Lbiacono
    Lbiacono Posts: 8
    Options
    2 recipes for salmon:

take a 4oz fillet-
    Add Dijon mustard and fresh dill, some grated garlic, salt and pepper and spread on fillet
    bake for about 15-20 minutes 400 degree

recipe 2:

Marinate Salmon (only for 5 minutes)
    Crushed garlic cloves, some olive oil, salt/pepper. Chopped parsley and a splash of red wine vinegar
    either bake it same way as recipe 1 or grill it!!
    MMMMMMMMM!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I grill it on the bbq. add a little salt, garlic and lemon juice. some chopped onions. Wrap in tinfoil.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried Salmon, yet...I remember the smell of salmon patties growing up and grosses me out. How do you cook Salmon?

My advice is season it lightly with your favorite spices, but don't overcook it! I too grew up hating salmon patties, but absolutely love salmon now that I know how to properly cook it. Medium to medium rare is best for salmon or tuna (actually medium rare to rare for tuna). Otherwise you might as well buy the canned stuff.
  • mmiley1111
    mmiley1111 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    We love to fish for red fish and speckled trout. I love to pan sear my fish in alittle olive oil and cajun blackening spices. Also you can cut up some bell peppers and onion and let them start cooking for about a minute then season your fish with what ever spices you want and lay the fish on top of your pepper and onions cover and let it cook on med heat for about 10 minutes.. YUMMY!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    CEVICHE!

We like to bake the fish first, though, rather than "cook" it in the lemon/lime juice. Great, light and refreshing meal -- especially with the temperature rising.
  • Kellee_76
    Kellee_76 Posts: 91
    Options
    A note on your dislike of salmon... Salmon is delicious but I always hated it growing up (and at most restaurants) because it was *farmed* salmon. I never understood the difference until I had fresh caught salmon when visiting Alaska. Wait until wild salmon is back in season and then splurge on some fresh (never frozen) wild Alaskan salmon and eat it right away and you will not be disappointed :) It's expensive but worth every bite. We pick ours up from Costco when it's in season and it's really the best. Stay away from the farmed stuff. Cook the salmon (I grill mine with a tiny bit of sea salt and pepper, skin-side down) just until it just starts to flake with a fork. It should still be juicy. Overcooked salmon is horrible. You want to cook it until it's just done and then take it off the heat immediately.

There are lots of recipes out there for carmelized salmon (with either maple or a bit of brown sugar and grainy mustard) or with other sauces but if you get really high quality fish, you don't need all that extra flavor. It's great alone with a side of grilled asparagus and a few roasted red potatoes.

Also, if you're a lobster fan, and want to try a different type of fish, I've gotta tell you that I love eating pollock. It's the "poor man's lobster." Just bake it with a bit of sea salt and a tiny dab of real butter until it flakes. Delicious!
  • Tencie0615
    Tencie0615 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    i love love love mango lime seafood seasoning on my talapia...very yummy!!!
  • maarbo
    maarbo Posts: 22
    Options
    I don't like salmon patties eaither, but LOVE salmon steaks! We broil them, grill them, or just pan fry with a little salt, pepper, and lemon or lime juice. :smile:
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    As a child and thru part of my adult life I HATED fish, the smell, taste and texture...i'd only eat plaice or smoked fish...until I was pregnant with my 3rd child and I started craving it. Ate it all the time, breakfast lunch and dinner...gave birth to a genius! I've never gone off fish and hope I never do.

One of my favourite creations is Italian seasoning fish bake...white fish (coley or cod is my preferred) with a tin of chopped tomatoes that have been seasoned with Italian seasoning, garlic, black pepper and a touch of cayenne spread on top, sprinkle cheese on top and bake until cooked and the cheese is melted. Heaven!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    catfish is my new favorite!!! SO low in calories, and a very mild fish flavor. SO adaptable to any recipe. YUMMM
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Tilapia with garlic light laughing cow cheese wedge. NUM NUM!