Bridge to 10k? Running advice?

ejb245
ejb245 Posts: 195 Member
edited September 27 in Fitness and Exercise
So, I've finished the C25K program and have been doing the 30 minute running option now but I was wondering if I should start the Bridge to 10K program now to build up to running for longer distances.

Anyone have any success with it? Or is it more important to focus on picking up my running speed? Or just add a couple of minutes to my runs every week and just build up my time and distance that way?

A little background: I've been running for about 3 months. My average mile per minute pace is 11.5 to 12 minutes on my normal route with hills, 10-11 minutes on flat trails. I run ~3.5 miles 3x a week and a little less than 3 miles every week with a running group. Running for both weight loss and to be in better shape. Also, I'm realizing that I'm a bit competitive. Running with the group is a bit of an ego boost that I love. I thought I was slow until I started running with women that only run once a week.

Thoughts?

Replies

• When I finished the C25K I did the 30 minute runs for awhile, then decided to do the B210K. I did pretty well with that, got to about week three I think when I unfortunatley suffered an overuse injury on my ankle and knee. While that was healing, I was still working out, but only doing low impact cardio and weights. Once it healed, I got the flu and that took me about a month to recover from. So after two months of not running, I had to work my way back up to the 30 minutes. I'm still doing 30 minute runs, mixed in with cross trianing and haven't attempted the Bridge again.

My recommendation is go for it, but be weary of overuse/overtraining injuries. My ankle and knee had been bothering me for about a week and I ran on it anyway which resulted in a more serious injury. Don't run through pain :) Lesson learned.

Good luck!
  • I would stick with distances from 5k to half marathon. I would not _focus_ on getting faster. Losing all of your excess weight will make a tremendous impact on your speed. But I would still, once a week, throw in intervals or hill repeats or a tempo run.
  • anana16
    anana16 Posts: 3 Member
    Years ago, a friend sent me to www.halhigdon.com for training plans of all distances, and they are great! I've done 3 marathons, 4 half-marathons, and 2 triathlons using those plans.

Each week consistently builds on the last one in terms of weekly mileage. But the important thing is to do a SLOW increase in weekly mileage to avoid injury as someone mentioned above. One year, I ramped up too quickly, injured my IT band, and was on crutches for a month. So if you feel ANY pain, RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) the area and ease up a bit.

If you have enough time to train properly, I say go for it! GOOD LUCK!! :smile:
  • ejb245
    ejb245 Posts: 195 Member
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm not building up for a race or anything, I just enjoy running and thought it might be good to work towards something.
  • MsP90X
    MsP90X Posts: 1,053 Member
    I am on day 3 of the Bridge to 10K program and I have booked a 10K race for July 3rd... I am hoping that it works well ;)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    If you are running for fun then fartleks would be good a couple of times a week. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fartlek
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Hi there

Just started a Bridge to 10K Challenge group, which is at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/395037-bridge-to-10k-challenge-starts-december

Cheers
This discussion has been closed.