Question about calories

Options
I normally burn alot of calories when I work out..then I dont eat all them back...like last night, i had like 1000 calories left when I was done logging for the day and It said that I was gonna put my body into stravation mode...my question is...what if I eat my normal meals and i dont let myself get hungry..am i still putting my body into that even tho im not hungry?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    That's what they say. Try to eat more during the day when you know you are going to work out.
  • saral89
    saral89 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm having this same problem! It's so confusing, I jsut posted abotu it. Check my thread out and see if those answeres help. :)
  • young1726
    young1726 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I've heard that "not being hungry" is actually a sign of your metabolism slowing down. When you're eating the right amount of calories (INCLUDING THOSE EXERCISE CALORIES) AND you're hungry then you metabolism is doing great!! Eat your exercise calories...you WILL lose weight.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    yes and no.

I don't believe you need to eat exactly what they say, but you do need to increase cals on heavy workout days. for example, they say not go under 1200, so on light or no workout days that ok, but on heavy ones i wouldnt go under 1500. p90x asks for 1800 at minimum because of how much your doing and burning. they have good reasons. it can kill slowly or quickly your metabolism.
  • young1726
    Options
    I've heard that "not being hungry" is actually a sign of your metabolism slowing down. When you're eating the right amount of calories (INCLUDING THOSE EXERCISE CALORIES) AND you're hungry then you metabolism is doing great!! Eat your exercise calories...you WILL lose weight.

That being said, if you have had bad eating habits recently...then hunger is not a good way to determine whether you're eating enough. Your body has adjusted to what you have done in the past.

A couple easy ways to get more calories...
    couple oz of cheese
    couple tablespoons of peanut butter
    a glass of milk
    an apple (or any fruit)
    stop bying (no fat or light) go back to buying 2% milk, go back to buying regular sour cream/yogurt/cottage cheese/etc instead of light
  • ojell
    ojell Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    All of this is interesting. Thanks for asking the question. Mine has been saying the same thing.
  • saral89
    saral89 Posts: 108 Member
    Options

That being said, if you have had bad eating habits recently...then hunger is not a good way to determine whether you're eating enough. Your body has adjusted to what you have done in the past.

A couple easy ways to get more calories...
    couple oz of cheese
    couple tablespoons of peanut butter
    a glass of milk
    an apple (or any fruit)
    stop bying (no fat or light) go back to buying 2% milk, go back to buying regular sour cream/yogurt/cottage cheese/etc instead of light

That's a good insider. Thanks
  • ojell
    ojell Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Just thinking out loud...They always say in order to lose weight you have to move more and eat less...which I KNOW I'm doing, BUT it's not as simple as it sounds. I am most definately learning this now. Clearly, the true key isn't to just simply "eat less" as some people say. We also need to pick wise choices. Eat less than a couple big macs a day, but more than a couple apples. I'm starting to get how the whole calories nutrient thing fuels our body. I mean I already "knew" that, but I dunno...It's just starting to click inside a little. Now, I just have to learn more more more. :)

I agree with the others...on days when we know we're going to exercise more, we need to prep our bodies with extra fuel so that we can. Then of course, refuel when we're done. :)
  • young1726
    Options
    Just thinking out loud...They always say in order to lose weight you have to move more and eat less...which I KNOW I'm doing, BUT it's not as simple as it sounds. I am most definately learning this now. Clearly, the true key isn't to just simply "eat less" as some people say. We also need to pick wise choices. Eat less than a couple big macs a day, but more than a couple apples. I'm starting to get how the whole calories nutrient thing fuels our body. I mean I already "knew" that, but I dunno...It's just starting to click inside a little. Now, I just have to learn more more more. :)

I agree with the others...on days when we know we're going to exercise more, we need to prep our bodies with extra fuel so that we can. Then of course, refuel when we're done. :)

Great job at grasping this. I obviously have a calorie deficit to lose weight, but I really don't feel like I'm eating "less". I am eating 1700+ calories per day (depending on exercise) and I never really feel like I'm on a diet. I am making better choices so I can actually eat MORE to get less calories than I was before! :)