Ever fixed dehydrated food?

Options
So.....my new love is banana chips.
I absolutely love them
I am thinking about buying a dehydrator and fixing my own.
Does anyone else dehydrate their own food?
If so, what?
I would like some ideas other than bananas!

Would dehydrated food have different or altered nutrients in them?

Replies

• Dnsnyder
    Dnsnyder Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Banana chips are awesome. I don't have a dehydrator yet, but I definitely want one. I think a lot of fruits would work good. I know dried apple chips are awesome...maybe sprinkled with a bit of cinnamon? Also, maybe pineapple and kiwi.
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend has one and he dries all sorts of fruits. I make homemade beef jerky in it and looooooooove it!
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Zucchini, pineapple, apples, squash, peppers...you can dehydrate just about anything...apricots are great as well!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Dehydrated watermelon tastes like candy!
  • Aetarac
    Aetarac Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have one use it to make dehydrated fruits long process but easy set and forget. Well you might have to shift the trays some but about it. Also as others said really good for making jerky and you know what is going into it salt wise and preservative free (other then salt) just know that the shelf life is not what the "normal" processed stuff is. PS dehydrated fruit is good on own but like killer when mixed in with oatmeal. Some fruits take well to dehydrating others not too well by themselves. Oranges are meh dried but really pretty when whole or can grind up to make orange tea. But experiment it is fun and easy.
  • Dnsnyder
    Dnsnyder Posts: 263 Member
    Options

Ooh...I never thought of that before. That sounds really good!
  • Rebjones612
    Rebjones612 Posts: 408
    Options

Ooh...I never thought of that before. That sounds really good!
    Yeah...ditto to that! I think I will try it!
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    ::adds dehydrator to list of things to buy::

I love all dried fruit (pineapple rings being my fave) but I also love true dried veggie chips....zucchini, yellow squash, carrots..etc.

The watermelon sounds like it would be tasty...so definately need to look into that.:love:
  • mymasterskitten
    Options
    Oranges are meh dried but really pretty when whole or can grind up to make orange tea. But experiment it is fun and easy.

this gives me all sorts of ideas! i like drinking broth or tea with meals because it helps fill me up. i could match the fruit to my oatmeal in the morning and have a complimentary tea! :D
  • healthieramanda
    healthieramanda Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I bought my father a dehydrator for fathers day. He dehydrates everything! Potatoes, kiwi fruit, apples, onion, apricots... Pretty much any fruit and veggie you can think of! Most come with instructions.and will have a list of foods and how long you put them on for.
  • emilydmac
    emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    bump!!!!