How accurate is your Polar HRM compred to calories burned by

Options
Hi Everyone,
Im waiting for my Polar FT4 HRM in the mail but while waiting I thought to ask you all, How accurate is your Polar HRM compared to calories burned by gym equipment? How much off is it and what kind of Polar do you have? This is so I dont freak out if it isnt exactly matching to the gym equipment calories.

Replies

• robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    The polar should be more accurate than the gym equipment.
  • RGPargy
    RGPargy Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I have an FT4 too and it's fabulous! I dont work out without it - ever!! The gym equipment will probably say you are burning more as it just generalises calorie burn rather than doing an actual calculation, but obviously the FT4 will be a lot more accurate than the gym stuff!
  • lizalmp1234
    lizalmp1234 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • maurilax
    maurilax Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT1 which does not actually count calories but gives the avg heart rate for the duration of the workout, I use this number and input into a calorie calculator that was linked on the MFP message boards. Honestly I dont know how accurate this calculator is or the other Calculators included on the Polar devices, however there should be significantly less margin for error when compared to the calculators that say 30 mins of aerobic exercise is xxx number of calories. I tend to always round down when entering calories burned because of the margin for error. i would rather be under than over my calorie limit.